Where is NBC HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Panavision

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
St. Louis Park, Minnesota
I can get NBC 4:2:2 SD on AMC-1 Ku, but what about HD? My Quali-tv thinks it's only SD and displays it as such.

Thanks in advance!
(If this is a confidential subject, no reply is necessary)

NBC HD is scrambled and uses some weird encoding so no boxes can get it. I asked a while back because I get the SD feeds via C-band

Yes, they are 8psk trellis. The picture is stunning, much better than the OTA.
No, you don't need 16' dish for them. They are on Ku, a well alligned 6ft offset should do the job, that's what I am using.
Off course, you will need a receiver that can handle 8psk trellis.

8psk trellis ? even the genpix wont tune this :( plus you need a friggin big dish, 16'+ I hear.

Why would that be scrambled..

Probably because they only want there affiliates to receive the signal, and so that you have to watch commercials.

Edit - From the previous post I am guessing that they are not encrypted. Also Ftarock what receiver supports 8psk trellis?

Mine is not a receiver. It's a commercial demodulator with a transport stream output. It's like a tuner that demodulates the signal and puts the transport stream out. The transport stream is fed into a PC. I can then watch the channel live at my choice, either with sofware or hardware decoder.

Probably because they only want there affiliates to receive the signal, and so that you have to watch commercials.

Edit - From the previous post I am guessing that they are not encrypted. Also Ftarock what receiver supports 8psk trellis?

What about the one on AMC6ku? It's HD of some kind.......scanned in this morning
11793 Horiz (if my lnb is right) 4232SR 5/6FEC
V308 A256 but I cant get a picture . Colorful, whatever it is , haha.

I doubt it's in HD base on the low SR

What about the one on AMC6ku? It's HD of some kind.......scanned in this morning
11793 Horiz (if my lnb is right) 4232SR 5/6FEC
V308 A256 but I cant get a picture . Colorful, whatever it is , haha.

Thanks for the info, guys. The only thing I knew about nets is that CBS uses DCII. I think their HD is in the clear, though. Of course, this was two years ago when I worked Master Control. Who knows what it's like now.

CBS DC2 distribution feeds are not in HD, they are SD 4:2:2 in combo mode, that none of the consumer receiver able to lock to.
CSB is still using DVB for HD distribution.

Thanks for the info, guys. The only thing I knew about nets is that CBS uses DCII. I think their HD is in the clear, though. Of course, this was two years ago when I worked Master Control. Who knows what it's like now.

Mine is not a receiver. It's a commercial demodulator with a transport stream output. It's like a tuner that demodulates the signal and puts the transport stream out. The transport stream is fed into a PC. I can then watch the channel live at my choice, either with sofware or hardware decoder.

Using a Digitrans with the ASI outputs? I've gotta look into getting one of those DekTec cards someday. The price is next to prohibitive, though :(

Or get Rod's (TSReader author) LVDS-USB. It works extremely well with TSReader.
I have seen ASI <---> LVDS on ebay at cheap price, you probably get one for less than $50 if you know where to look.
Rod's SPI-USB is $300 as I remember.
Good luck

Note: if you are talking about CSB DC2 Combo Mode distribution, you don't need to feed the TS into the PC. They are SD 4:2:2 that the Digitrans has no problem with.
If you are more interested in recording CBS DC2 or want to analyze the stream, having a ASI-USB is a good choice.
8psk Trellis is out of question, Digitrans is not design to handle that modulation. I have other demodulator to handle 8psk Trellis.

Using a Digitrans with the ASI outputs? I've gotta look into getting one of those DekTec cards someday. The price is next to prohibitive, though :(

Or get Rod's (TSReader author) LVDS-USB. It works extremely well with TSReader.
I have seen ASI <---> LVDS on ebay at cheap price, you probably get one for less than $50 if you know where to look.
Rod's SPI-USB is $300 as I remember.
Good luck

That's what I use also. There's a certain seller on ebay, who frequently lists the EVS boxes, that can be used to convert back and forth between ASI and LVDS, on ebay. He seems to have a large supply of them and they normally go for around $25 plus around $25 shipping. So for around $50 you can get a good cheap converter, which is a real bargain. I've bought like 3 of them myself. It's said that they may have issues at really high bitrates, but your not going to encounter those kinds of bitrates with a DSR-4800/digitrans which can only do Qpsk. That would likely only be an issue with 8psk.

you don't need to feed the TS into the PC. They are SD 4:2:2 that the Digitrans has no problem with

I can't confirm this for certain, but I've heard that some models of the digitrans (the 7100E, I think), don't do 4:2:2 mpeg decoding. I believe the 7150 and all the motorola branded models do decode 4:2:2 Mpeg. Again, I'm not certain about that but it's what I've heard. Anyway, if one happen to get a 7100E, they might need to feed the stream into a PC or some other 4:2:2 capable decoder.

That's correct. Digitrans 7100 models are not able to decode SD 4:2:2 while the 7150's do. There are too many version of commercial receivers/decoders. One needs to know what is used for what.
Example: 7150ASI is a decoder that takes ASI for decoding only, no tuner.
7150T is a receiver without ASI out. 7150TA is a receiver with tuner with ASI.
Digitrans 71xx are pretty much similar to the GI/MOT 48xx.
Both Digitrans 71xx and GI/MOT 48xx can't take 8psk Trellis.
I am also using the EVS LVDS <---->ASI conversion. Got one on ebay for $25 from the seller you mentioned, real bargain.

That's what I use also. There's a certain seller on ebay, who frequently lists the EVS boxes, that can be used to convert back and forth between ASI and LVDS, on ebay. He seems to have a large supply of them and they normally go for around $25 plus around $25 shipping. So for around $50 you can get a good cheap converter, which is a real bargain. I've bought like 3 of them myself. It's said that they may have issues at really high bitrates, but your not going to encounter those kinds of bitrates with a DSR-4800/digitrans which can only do Qpsk. That would likely only be an issue with 8psk.

I can't confirm this for certain, but I've heard that some models of the digitrans (the 7100E, I think), don't do 4:2:2 mpeg decoding. I believe the 7150 and all the motorola branded models do decode 4:2:2 Mpeg. Again, I'm not certain about that but it's what I've heard. Anyway, if one happen to get a 7100E, they might need to feed the stream into a PC or some other 4:2:2 capable decoder.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)