Where is the Cubs Game ?

Start times are left to the discretion of the home team except when National telecasts are involved.

The Fox Saturday, ESPN Sunday and ESPN Monday slots are controlled by the TV entities and MLB. All other start times are left to the home team.

I haven't scoured the Miami area papers to see if there was an exception for this particular game, but highly doubtful.

I'm not trying to crucify the Marlins. Just saying thiat it is sad that if the Marlins schedule some Sunday Starts at 5:05P and that prohibits the MLBEI package from distributing the telecast then MLB should step in and move the game to a start time 30 minutes earlier.

Marlins aren't the sole team that schedules like that.

Blue Jays,Yankess and A's do the same thing on non Fox Saturday games by scheduling starts at 1:05P.

Like Bill D mentioned earlier, MLB could gain plenty of good will within the current blackout situations by simply prohibiting any team from scheduling a game during the exclusive windows.

Only exceptions being Saturday afternoon starts in Wrigley(neighborhood agreement) and Sunday Night starts in Texas(heat).

I also understand that the Marlins have some weather concerns also.

I wouldn't say a word if they scheduled a 8:00PM start like the Rangers, due to weather concerns.

Like others have mentioned though Marlins or MLB should have mandated a 4:35PM start so that the game could be shown out of market for the EI patrons.

The 5:05 p.m. start time is not mandated by anyone other than the Marlins. The problem here isn't the Marlins, its MLB EI. The game was available to viewers in the Marlins and Cubs markets. The blackout situation with MLB EI is beyond absurd. Blame MLB. Blame Bugs Seaweed or whatever the Commissioner's name is. Why have different standards for MLB TV and MLB EI? At first glance, it makes no sense until you realize that MLB is being run by idiots.

The 5:05 p.m. start time is not mandated by anyone other than the Marlins. The problem here isn't the Marlins, its MLB EI. The game was available to viewers in the Marlins and Cubs markets. The blackout situation with MLB EI is beyond absurd. Blame MLB. Blame Bugs Seaweed or whatever the Commissioner's name is. Why have different standards for MLB TV and MLB EI? At first glance, it makes no sense until you realize that MLB is being run by idiots.

The issue is not MLBEI. Every league has rules they must follow in order to get national TV contracts. ESPN pays big money for the exclusive Sunday night window, money that goes to the teams themselves, not Bud Selig.

Every MLB team knows the contract guidelines, that if first pitch is after 5PM on Sunday the game cannot be shown on Extra Innings. The Marlins chose to begin the game after 5PM anyway, for whatever reason. I'm not criticizing them for that, I was at Six Flags yesterday and didn't even know this was a situation.

Unfortunately for the Cubs they were showing the game on their local Fox Sports Net, not WGN. WGN had White Sox/Yankees. I'm not sure if WGN would have to follow the Extra Innings contractual guidelines or not, actually. My guess is no, but I don't know that for sure.

Sandra

Again, MY TICKETS...that I bought back in April stated a 1:05pm 1st pitch. Like I said, I almost went TOO early and there Marlins did NOT make any mention of a 5:05pm start until about 10 days ago(according to some Cub fans I sat next to over the weekend). This is THE ONLY sunday game that I can remember in the last 3 years that did not start at the usual 1:05pm UNLESS it was part of a suspended game and a doubleheader.

Again, MY TICKETS...that I bought back in April stated a 1:05pm 1st pitch. Like I said, I almost went TOO early and there Marlins did NOT make any mention of a 5:05pm start until about 10 days ago(according to some Cub fans I sat next to over the weekend). This is THE ONLY sunday game that I can remember in the last 3 years that did not start at the usual 1:05pm UNLESS it was part of a suspended game and a doubleheader.

Perhaps Tony Soprano was holding an early afternoon 'Wildcat' press conference Sunday, and the Marlins didn't want to compete with it. ;) :D

Sandra

Did someone say research?

My apologies in advance for the length of the post.

FLORIDA MARLINS 2009 HOME SCHEDULE
(Weekends Only)

DAY/DATE OPPONENT TIME TV
SAT APR 11 Mets 6:10P Mets(SNY) Joined in Progess at 7:05P
Marlins-NO TV

SUN APR 12 Mets 1:10P Mets-SNY
Marlins-SUN

SAT APR 25 Phillies 7:10P Phillies-WPHL
Marlins-SUN

SUN APR 26 Phillies 12:10P Phillies-WPHL
Marlins-SUN

SAT MAY 16 Dodgers 6:10P MLBTV only

SUN MAY 17 Dodgers 1:10P Dodgers-KCAL
Marlins-SUN

SAT MAY 23 Rays 7:10P FSFL

SUN MAY 24 Rays 1:10P FSFL

SAT JUNE 6 Giants 6:10P Giants-CSBA(JIP at 7:05P
Marlins-FSFL(""""""""""")
SUN JUNE 7 Giants 5:05P Giants-CSBA
Marlins-FSFL

SAT JUNE 20 Yankees 7:10P Yankees-YES
Marlins-FSFL

SUN JUNE 21 Yankees 5:05P Yankees-YES
Marlins-FSFL

SAT JULY 4 Pirates 6:10P MLBTV(only)

SUN JULY 5 Pirates 1:10P Pirates-FSPI
Marlins-FSFL

SAT JULY 18 Phillies 7:05P Phillies-CSNP
Marlins-FSFL
RAINED OUT

SUN JULY 19 Phillies 1:10P Phillies-WPHL
Marlins-SUN

SAT AUG 1 Cubs 7:05P Cubs-WGN
Marlins-SUN

SUN AUG 2 Cubs 5:05P Cubs-CSNC
Marlins-FSFL

SAT AUG 15 Rockies 6:10P NO TV

SUN AUG 16 Rockies 5:05P Rockies-FSRM
Marlins-FSFL

SAT AUG 29 Padres 6:10P NO TV

SUN AUG 30 Padres 1:10P Padres-CH4
Marlins-FSFL

SAT SEPT 12 Nationals 6:10P Nationals-MASN (JIP @ 7:05P)
Marlins-NO TV

SUN SEPT 13 Nationals 1:10P Nationals-MASN 2
Marlins- FSFL

SAT SEPT 26 Mets 7:10P Mets-SNY
Marlins-FSFL

SUN SEPT 27 Mets 1:10P Mets-WPIX
Marlins-SUN

As any one can see the Marlins go out of their way to schedule start times within the blackout windows. This Mickey Mouse practice has gone on for years, as a quick glance of the schedules of seasons past will reveal. I just didn't want to make an already too long post even longer.

Just keep in mind when looking through this, that Games that start before 7:05P on Saturday and 5:05P on Sunday are prohibited form being broadcast over the EI package. With this caveat that Saturday games can be Joined in progress at 7:05P if the team and network so choose .

As any one can see the Marlins go out of their way to schedule start times within the blackout windows. This Mickey Mouse practice has gone on for years, as a quick glance of the schedules of seasons past will reveal. I just didn't want to make an already too long post even longer.

Just keep in mind when looking through this, that Games that start before 7:05P on Saturday and 5:05P on Sunday are prohibited form being broadcast over the EI package. With this caveat that Saturday games can be Joined in progress at 7:05P if the team and network so choose .

That is probably on a website AFTER the fact(i.e., after the season started). I had tickets that clearly stated 1:05pm start and Cubs fans that sat next to me complaing about the difference in the game start and ticket start. No I am not denying about the blackout practice done by teams because I pay no attention to that.....be clearly, the time changes was done AFTER the season started.

Maybe it was mandated BY the League Office. MOST of all Marlins afternoon games are started at 1:00pm Sunday, all other games are 7:05pm 1st pitch. There was no special promotion by the Marlins on Sunday because I was there.

So BEFORE people start blaming the Marlins office about this unusual start time, a little home work should be done on whether this was mandated by the league office. I HIGHLY doubt a team would try to screw over satellite and cable companies on purpose.

So did you find the answer?
What did the Marlins have to say, MLB ?

Maybe this thread should be passed along to someone in the Marlin's organization.

fwiw, I would imagine other teams do this from time to time as well.

So did you find the answer?

Nothing pointed toward the Marlins because like I stated in other post, my tickets were bought in April, they had a 1:05pm start...and until recently, according to the complaining Cubs fans at the stadium, the time was changed within the last few weeks.

Nothing pointed toward the Marlins because like I stated in other post, my tickets were bought in April, they had a 1:05pm start...and until recently, according to the complaining Cubs fans at the stadium, the time was changed within the last few weeks.

Can you contact the Marlin's and inquire ?

This was answered a while ago. It was the Marlins. MLB only moves games that are national telecasts, this was not one of them. The Marlins are not the first team to do it, nor will they be the last.

The only thing that is different this time is they moved the game into a window where MLB's agreement with ESPN stipulates the game cannot be shown in the Extra Innings package. And because the game is against the Cubs, who have a national following, it mattered more than it would have against any other team.

We're taking something simple and making it more complicated than Cricket. :rolleyes:

Sandra

I watch all of the Cubs games on WGN or Comcast 429 on Dish. I have only been unable to watch the games twice all year due to blackout. Also all games are in HD.

GOCUBS!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)