Where is the direct tv satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slyster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I have DISH now and am switching to Direct (saves $60/mo with qwest bundle... DLS/Phone/Direct185 channels for $105!) Really a great price considering we will get 2 R15 DVR's.

I have a very narrow view of the sky.. perhaps 20 degrees.. and DISH is fine there.. it's straight SW... where is Direct TV's satellite? Might put a stop to my plans! :(

Depends on your subscription and location, but the the core SD programming is @ 101 with HD add locations 110 & 119.

What do these numbers mean? Couldn't be degrees since South is 180 and my dish points SW therefore roughly 225 degrees on a compass.

Those are their orbital slot locations in degrees West. Each user has a specific location; that along with the heading compass (that you have) will tell you where each orbital location is relative to YOUR dish.

What is your zip code?

As an example of a centrally located city; Oklahoma City, OK:
DirecTV @ 101w would be:
Azimuth: 186
Elevation: 48.6

DirecTV @ 119w
Azimuth: 214
Elevation: 43

Depending on if you get a 3 or 5 LNB dish setup, there will be an azimuth that the dish will center on to reflect all the signals into the LNBs as opposed to "focusing" on just one direct satellite location. The dish is shaped to allow this.

Last edited:
That makes sense. I am in Mpls (55421).. I would guess it's similar to OK.. just a lower elevation.

186 degrees would not work for me! We practically live in a forest.. with the only open sky from perhaps 200 to 250 or so.. I'm worried they won't be able to install D* tomorrow..

If E* works here.. would that mean D* would work? Or is the satellite that much further to the left (S) ? I'm thinking I might be out of luck.

Last edited:
55421 Columbia Heights:
DirecTV @ 101w would be:
Azimuth: 189.6
Elevation: 37.5

DirecTV @ 110w
Azimuth: 201.5
Elevation: 35.6

DirecTV @ 119w
Azimuth: 213
Elevation: 32.2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts