Where is the Hard Drive Diagnostics Test?

Ned Dorsey

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2004
Reno
I've seen several people mention they've seen their hard drive do diagnostics, but I have not. On my 522 (L2.08) I navigate the menus to System Setup > Diagnostics and "Hard Drive" is greyed out. :confused: BTW, my receiver is in Single Mode - if that makes a difference.

Its not a test you can set to have your system do. Its a test that is triggered by your system when every it detects a problem with your hard drive.

But I think one of the many quirks still in the 522 is that it always does the diagnostic test when it checks for updates. So if your receiver is set up to check once a day (probably 3am or near then) it is likely doing that every day. To force one (or to see what it looks like, yippee :)) set its automatic update time to occur five minutes or so from present time. Don't forget to set it back to its previous time though, trust me, it's pretty frustrating when you forget. ;)

I've been up at 3AM for it's power-down and I don't recall seeing a Hard Drive check - but then again that was 3AM ;) I'll re-schedule the update late tonight and see what happens. Maybe I'll get my NBR software upgrade too!

I think it does an as-needed HD diagnostic sometime during the update process, so it may not go through the whole thing every night. I only had it happen once on its own, I deleted a few month old recording and it just kind of sat there confused and all of a sudden the HD diagnostic kicked in. As I recall, it was supposed to run for about 45 minutes, according to the info on the screen. Luckily it was around 11 pm so I just let it finish overnight. The next morning all appeared ok, but the show I tried to delete was still there, but then I was able to delete it without a problem.

Oh believe me it does it every night (or at least mine does) at the time that your auto update is set to kick off. If you are looking at the power down screensaver (the Press Select to continue one) press select and it wakes up the output so you can see whats going on.

--DD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts