Where to buy new receiver?

RedWings

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Looking to pick up a 2nd HD DVR Receiver for my work-in-progress 'man cave'. Where do you all recommend to get one? Site sponsor, ebay, etc..???

I'd rather not go through Dish since I don't want to be locked into any contract with them.

Also, what charges will I incur from adding a new box? DVR and 2nd Receiver monthly fee?

Thanks.

EDIT: ANother question. What receivers support the addition to external HDs?

Go to the Dish Store (.net). Don't bother with all the want'abees on the internet. Not worth your time.

Straight answers. If it can be done, they can do it or know someone who can.

There is a reason why they are highly recommended by all on this forum!

Seems like DishStore is more expensive then grabbing a new one of Ebay.

I like supporting forum sponsors, but if I can save $50 by using Ebay, its hard to say no.

Seems like DishStore is more expensive then grabbing a new one of Ebay.

I like supporting forum sponsors, but if I can save $50 by using Ebay, its hard to say no.

I bought a receiver from Claude a while back, and it arrived quickly, was well packed, and it worked. With ebay, unless you know the seller, you take your chances and may get burned. Look through the threads on this site for problems people have had with ebay. I only buy things on ebay that I can afford to lose the money on.

I buy a lot of stuff on eBay. Satellite equipment is not one of them!

Buying on eBay is a lot like flipping a coin and hoping it comes up heads. You may get lucky. Or you may not. In our case, the bride was not lucky.

Wan'a buy a receiver that has a bill of 63.00 before it can be activated for you? Got one.

If you are wanting something that will work for you without any issues, out out the box, call Dish Store (.net). Or bid on an unknown quantity from eBay or Craigs list. It's your money.

You are right about supporting forum sponsors, but the prices are the same for legit goods (read Not stolen) or through other internet and local sources. Seems like a no brainier to me. I'm thrifty too but at what cost? For a 2 year commitment with Dish, less than 50 cents per week?

eBay raised the prices for listing and final value fees and the PayPal fees are still at 3% of US and more for other currencies.

For any buyer or seller on eBay the cost to sell can be 9 to 15%. Plus at additional 3-5% PayPal which will be required. So if you think you are getting a deal on eBay, you are going to see an increase on prices. Better to go to a web site and buy direct. Most electronic dealers don't have 9 to 15% to give to eBay in their profit margin. The ones that do are ones you may not want to buy from!

Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts