TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
??!!!!!1!!!!1!??? :p

DVD recorder Philips DVDR740

I just discovered this gem as I'm looking for a DVD recorder that will directly record the PCM/DD 2.0/DD 5.1 stuff off my Dish DVR 522. This one looks perfect and is even more than I was looking for. It seems most places had it at one time in their online catalogs but have removed it. One place mentions it as "Coming Soon" for $398.77, which is a steal for all its features: http://www.1-877camcorder.com/dvdr740.html I could call them I suppose, but I know exactly what I'll hear: "yes sir, we expect to be getting these very shortly, so why not place your order right now, here let me help you..."

If you know of a reputable retailer in the US that actually has these, please let me know, thank you :). Alternatively, if you know of another DVD recorder in the < $600 price range that will record up to DD 5.1, please let me know. I prefer optical input over coax (the DVDR740 actually has both!) but I can't be too picky I guess.

I would recommend reading some reviews about the Philips home DVD (non-PC) recordable units and home DVD recordables in general. Specifically the Philips units are highly buggy and their CS is the pits. In general these home unit (non-PC) DVDs are far less compatable when used in other DVD players and make many coasters. Be careful when spending your hard earned cash on these. A cheaper & better method is to take the extra step of transferring to a PC and using a $65 dual layer DVD burner. No coasters, 99.9% player compatability, much cheaper, assured media compatability, same quality, and DVD perfect pre-record editing for a professional result.

Tux :

The DVDR755 also looks good by adding HD upscaling thru HDMI.

Both the 740 and 755 were supposed to come out this past summer. The 740 is actually on the Philips website.

I made alot of calls for the 755 and a few dealers told me Philips will not be issuing these models. I dont know if thats true.

Of course I called Philips and they knew nothing.

I got frustrated and bought the DVDR 77 off of ebay for $200. A great recorder for $300 less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)