Where to Buy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

word

Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Newbie question so forgive me if I missed an obvious answer to this elsewhere on the site.

I'm looking to buy directv (probably with DVR) and have been doing quite a bit of online searching. I've come across some deals that look a little too great. (Supposedly) brand new dish, box and installation for free. There are a couple of sites offering the deal but this is one that looks a little more reputable: http://www.rapidsatellite.com/detail.aspx?ID=29.

Does anybody have any suggestions on the cheapest/safest way to get hooked up with the initial service? Are there any problems associated with going through one of these online resellers to get a free system or are there any catches of scams I should be aware of aside from the standard "buyer beware" aspect of buying online.

Thanks.

I ordered my reciever through DirecTV.com which isn't as nifty as some of the other deals but I didn't need another DVD player (I have one in every room of the house as it is now) or any other gifts so I figured why not get it straight from the makers itself especially since I just wanted a basic install (I already have a DVR and I don't see myself getting an HDTV for a while). Although since your looking into a DVR I can see why you'd want to get it from them because $20 is a superb price.

zubinh said:
I highly recommend Graham Walsh & Robert Zohn at www.valueelectronics.com.

Tell Graham that Zubin referred you.

I don't get the value from calling one of these places. If a new install is free with DTV what's the benfit of using a VAR? I called and they said the HD receiver for a new customer would still be $300 through them. So what's different from DTV?

So I guess what you guys are saying is that going with one of the VARs isnt always bad. I know there were some recommendations for valueelectronics.com, but is there a good way to find the absolute best deal out there?

My advise
===========

Expert Sat Pros/cons-
=======================
Expert Sat also has free Shipping and a free DVD player rebate going on. Plus they seem to quality check the installers better than most.

Expert sat also has a 5 room setup where the extra switch is not $99

Value Electronics pros-cons
===================

Best customer service, they are like you friends.

Value E. also quality checks there installers.

Others
-----------------
Some companies just use who ever is next in the contractor que for doing there installs, sometimes the installs are not of a good quality. Using good installers is important as it is your house and they sometimes drill hole into it. It needs to be done right.

Results
------------------
Expert Sat and Value Electronics seem to be the Tops in customer service.

Each month there are defferent specials so compare and also look for referal discount codes.

Compare everything. INCLUDING Shipping and Handeling charges that they dont tell you about till the end of the order. Also compare dishes- is it a tripple LNB for the future?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)