Where to find Statistics on fta viewership?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gigimarga

Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Does anyone know where to find reliable statistics on fta viewership in North America? For instance:
- how many are watching at least one hour/week an fta program on Galaxy 19 (97W) ?
- how many are watching fta primarily in English, or Spanish? How about French?

The question I am trying to get answered is: how many people will benefit if a channel such as TV5 MONDE would be fta in North America? A few hundred people? Thousands? Millions? Nobody? Just myself?

How about the viewership of particular channels. For instance, Canal Algerie. How many people are watching this channel in North America at least one hour/week?

Also, I am interested in the cost involved. How much does a channel such as Canal Algerie has to pay to be present fta in North America. I really have no idea. Are we talking about $1000/year? A million?

I apologize for using Canal Algerie as an example. It is one of the channels that I am watching once in a while if it happens to have something in French.

Thank you.

There really is no numbers on "viewership" of a channel due to alot of the channels we are not the intended audience. It is used for cable companies etc

Its been posted a few times that (using an example) the religious broadcasters its about 15K a month to be on G19. That came from SatelliteAV who works with those broadcasters. This number has many variables
-are you doing the uplinking or is someone else?
-how much bandwidth are you using?
-what satellite and transponder?

Hate to tell you this but TV5 Monde is on Dish Network...package for 20 bucks or 10 bucks a month alacarte
http://www.dishnetwork.com/international/French/default.aspx?lang=French

so why would TV5 make it free when they can have people sub to it (and get more money)?

Hate to tell you this but TV5 Monde is on Dish Network...package for 20 bucks or 10 bucks a month alacarte
http://www.dishnetwork.com/international/French/default.aspx?lang=French

so why would TV5 make it free when they can have people sub to it (and get more money)?

Well, TV5 could make it free for the same reason it made it free everywhere, except North America. There must be a reason why it is free in Europe! How much money could be made there? France is in Europe and I hope they still speak the language. You also mentioned the free religious channels. Why are those free? One way or another, there are quite a few people that will subscribe. In all the religious channels, when browsing, I see lots and lots of people in churches, gatherings, etc. Why are those people getting their favorite channels free?

The "Business" model of the relgious broadcasters is to give away their service, and make their money from donations. TV5 I suppose as many viewers as possible, and Charlie puld them into their system, requiring all other North American feeds be encrpyted, to protect DN subscriptions.

Well, TV5 could make it free for the same reason it made it free everywhere, except North America.
actually checking the various locations it is a pay provider in some markets

You also mentioned the free religious channels. Why are those free? One way or another, there are quite a few people that will subscribe. In all the religious channels, when browsing, I see lots and lots of people in churches, gatherings, etc. Why are those people getting their favorite channels free?

There is more than just sermons on those channels. Classicsat lists the reason why they are up there. I've seen plenty of good programs on those channels. And heck, old Doc Scott can cure insomnia ;)

But I know you're going to mention how those religious stations are on Dish & Direct. They PAY to be on those providers.

I would be inclined to think Pedogarcia is right but just my thoughts. I would be curious to see any documentation on the contracts also. However I doubt you will ever see that.

actually checking the various locations it is a pay provider in some markets

Can you list examples of where TV5 is not offered as fta in Europe, Asia, Australia or Africa? I know that in some of those markets TV5 is also included in various packages for a fee. But it is also free for fta users.

I am less familiar with South America. However, I recently learned that DirectTV Latin America has ceased distributing TV5 MONDE without explanation. A letter in French (http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=260293886002&topic=13153) basically indicates that DirectTV Latin America used to include, in the basic offer, TV5 as well as DW and RAI and now is charging for them causing some distress among the viewers down there.

Can you list examples of where TV5 is not offered as fta in Europe, Asia, Australia or Africa? I know that in some of those markets TV5 is also included in various packages for a fee. But it is also free for fta users.

I am less familiar with South America. However, I recently learned that DirectTV Latin America has ceased distributing TV5 MONDE without explanation. A letter in French (http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=260293886002&topic=13153) basically indicates that DirectTV Latin America used to include, in the basic offer, TV5 as well as DW and RAI and now is charging for them causing some distress among the viewers down there.

Have you tried contacting the people of TV5 Monde?

Have you tried contacting the people of TV5 Monde?
Yes but it seems they are not interested to pursue an fta venue in the Americas as long as there is at least one provider offering their channel. Even more, they do not appear to care how much their free program gets charged to the subscribers.

In the rest of the world, there is enough data online to conclude that TV5 is fta. Only because in certain markets TV5 is also included by various cable/sat providers in their offering, creates the false assumption that in order to get it you need to pay for it.

Yes but it seems they are not interested to pursue an fta venue in the Americas as long as there is at least one provider offering their channel. Even more, they do not appear to care how much their free program gets charged to the subscribers.

we don't know that for sure. Also anything put on Dish or Direct has to be paid for to be able to be seen. Even the channels that PAY to be put on those systems like religious & shopping channels they are in a package.

I guess I dont understand why you are throwing such a fit to be able to see it when it is AVAILABLE? You just have to subscribe to Dish Network. You want it so bad, subscribe. Lots of folks who want to view channels from their homeland subscribe to Dish or Direct because that is the only way. I could understand if there was no way to see the channel but we have given you two examples now on how to view it
1. get it through Dish
2. get it through Bell or Shaw Direct

Alot of those international channels sign exclusive agreements with Dish or Direct so that is the only way to see them in the US. No way around that. Seen plenty of free channels or subscription channels through Globecast get dropped because the channel signed an exclusive deal with _______________________

In the rest of the world, there is enough data online to conclude that TV5 is fta. Only because in certain markets TV5 is also included by various cable/sat providers in their offering, creates the false assumption that in order to get it you need to pay for it.

Sorry but North & South America have different views of FTA than Europe. Been like that way for years ;)

I guess I dont understand why you are throwing such a fit to be able to see it when it is AVAILABLE? ;)

It is not AVAILABLE. What is available is a custom made, tailored program for the US market, which even has a different name: TV5 Etats Unis. This is not what I want. I want TV5 Europe which is not available here. Even if people could argue that the difference between TV5 Europe and TV5 Etats Unis is small, that difference means a lot to me.

Basically, you are right. I understand that FTA is different in the Americas and if an fta channel becomes successful, it is very likely they will be included in a premium subscription offering by one of the major distributors and will no longer be fta. This is fine. The problem I have in the case of TV5 is that in their mission statement they appear to have a different purpose than the one you describe.

The TV5 mission statement (charter) can be found in French only at: http://www.bakom.ch/org/international/01014/index.html?lang=en

This is like an organization claiming to be "non profit" (just as an example here) is engaging in for profit activities. Either one is fine on its own but it is misleading to claim one thing and do the other.

It is possible that I no longer understand French enough to have a good and truthful interpretation of their mission statement. If anyone can correct me I sincerely appreciate.

Dish has exclusive rights here in the US.

Also there are numerous flavors of TV5 out there tailored for each market as you noted the US one is different

As of 2006, eight editions are being transmitted:

* TV5MONDE FBS (France, Belgium, Switzerland)
* TV5MONDE Europe (rest of Europe)
* TV5MONDE Afrique (Africa)
* TV5MONDE Maghreb - Orient (Maghreb, Middle East)
* TV5MONDE Asie (rest of Asia)
* TV5MONDE États-Unis (United States)
* TV5MONDE Amérique Latine – Caraïbes (Latin America and the Caribbean)
* TV5MONDE Pacifique (Japan - Oceania)
* TV5 Québec Canada (Canada)*

I guess if I wanted a channel so bad, unless the channel that is available is so bad it wasnt worth it (ie: stripped down version), I'd sub to it. I guess thats just me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)