where to mount dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

S43R80

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Hey guys,

I have an installer coming next Friday and would like to know where the best place to mount the dish is: Is it the roof or side of the house?

Which is easier, and which will the installer try to "push?"

Also, can a dish be mounted to a wall with vinyl siding, or at the corner of a house?

Also, another poster's horror story has me a bit nervous; should i be following the installer everywhere (on top of the roof, in all the rooms, etc.)?

Also, will he put in a grounding rod near wherever the dish is mounted?

Thanks, I'll let you guys know how everything turns out next week.

PS: I need to buy some diplexers (for 5 tvs). Is there a difference between cheap vs expensive? Circuit City sells them for $20.00, which I think is a bit expensive... Will the installer carry this equipment?

Depending on where you are located (snow, ice) if you live where you get snow every winter you may want to have it mounted on the side of your house or someplace that you can go and brush off the snow buildup. What my installer did at our townhouse was run a ground wire off of the dish over to where our compressor is grounded. The installer should be able to ground it to the main house ground or the ground where your other utilities (phone) are grounded to.

I take it you're wanting locals off an antenna instead of from Directv?

Neutron said:
Depending on where you are located (snow, ice) if you live where you get snow every winter you may want to have it mounted on the side of your house or someplace that you can go and brush off the snow buildup. What my installer did at our townhouse was run a ground wire off of the dish over to where our compressor is grounded. The installer should be able to ground it to the main house ground or the ground where your other utilities (phone) are grounded to.
Well, I live in CT, so I expect snow, ice, etc... Now, besides the snow issue, is there any reason why roof/wall is better than the other? He is responsible for adding a sealent no matter where he places the dish (wall, roof), correct?

Also, are we allowed to choose where we want the dish (wall, roof)? I'm asking this because the defnition of "standard installation" includes:
"Mount dish on an outside wall of the dwelling with appropriate hardware, within 100 feet cable length of TV. "
That is, it says nothing about mounting on a roof.

Anyway, I imagine the vinyl siding getting in the way of securing the dish tightly; how is this done exactly?

Neutron said:
I take it you're wanting locals off an antenna instead of from Directv?
Yeah, it actually makes the broadband internet cheaper:
$(internet + local channels) < ($interent only)...funny, huh?

RCA or Terk?

may i ask if u have done your own site survey and have some idea of where the dish would work the best for u. may i also ask are they going to install a 3 dish for u and are they going to put the dish up for your locals at the same time. curious is all.

as if you have a site with no trees in the way that would be perfect :)

johninillinois said:
may i ask if u have done your own site survey and have some idea of where the dish would work the best for u. may i also ask are they going to install a 3 dish for u and are they going to put the dish up for your locals at the same time. curious is all.

as if you have a site with no trees in the way that would be perfect :)

Hi,
I'm not really sure what is best for me; I suppose roof or wall would be adequate, except (as Neutron has said) I may want to do a wall mount so I can get to the dish easier after snow storms.

I am getting a 3lnb dish even though I'm not getting locals or HD from direct tv. This is essentially to future-proof things. That said, I will be getting my locals through my cable company (Comcast).

To be honest, the whole idea of drilling holes in the roof or vinyl siding kind of scares me, which is the reason for this thread...

During a wall mount, do they cut a square of vinyl siding off for the dish mount?

why dont u do a pole mount as close to the house that u can and use a
4 x 8 switch for our distrubation system. and have dual rg-6 to every outlet in case of a tivo or high def is needed

Will a single larege tree cause enough interference to be a problem? If this is the case, it may be that the roof is my only option.

However, a neighbor who lives across the street has quite a few trees where the dish seems to be pointed.

Anway, is a chimney mount, in general, a better option than a roof mount? This means that no holes would be drilled into the roof, correct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)