Where to Put DPP44 and/or Seperator?

Dodge Ram Nut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
Mizzourah
Hi there folks! I have a question. As you can see in my lil art drawing..everything that is in black is my CURRENT SETUP (except my living room reciever is presently a 501 - plan to swap out for a 622).

My question...I plan to upgrade to 622 and do the HD thing. Do I need to put a DPP44 in before the grounding block or in place of grounding block? I only have 1 cable running to the living room now. If I put the 622 in living room and run a new cable directly down to the basement living room to my HD TV..do I need a seperator? Reason why is because I dont really want to run an additional cable from the Dish to the living room..and then run another cable from living room to the basement. (Its directly below, so all I need to do is drill a hole and fish it through - no problem)

Can I get away with my "proposed" setup? My proposed setup is in BLUE. Please let me know if this is do-able or if I am forced to run another line from the dish to my grounding block...etc etc. I would REALLY like to avoid this and just do away with the seperator and/or DPP44. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 206
Not sure if the dpp switch should be placed before, after or in place of the grounding block (someone will give you info on that), the seperator will be placed directly behind the 622. Seperators usually come with the two wires which get connected to the 622 tuners, both are just less than a foot in length.

your proposed setup will work only for the 622 in the living room. you will need to run 1 line from the basement to the DPP44. you will still need the separator for the 622 dual satellite tuner function to work.

Ok...that makes sense. Question - When I had the 522...I had 2 lines ran to the 522 from the dish for the dual tuner inputs. I then had 1 line run back down from the Sat tv2 to the MBR and kept Sat tv1 for the living room.
Can I accomplish this as well? Keeping my original proposed setup...have the seperator hooked up the 622 to split to the INPUT sat tv1 and sat tv2....run 1 line from OUTPUT Sat tv1 (HD along with HDMI and/or other cables) directly down to the basement...keeping the 622 up in the living room and using it as Sat tv2?

Thanks again! :up

Ok...that makes sense. Question - When I had the 522...I had 2 lines ran to the 522 from the dish for the dual tuner inputs. I then had 1 line run back down from the Sat tv2 to the MBR and kept Sat tv1 for the living room.
Can I accomplish this as well? Keeping my original proposed setup...have the seperator hooked up the 622 to split to the INPUT sat tv1 and sat tv2....run 1 line from OUTPUT Sat tv1 (HD along with HDMI and/or other cables) directly down to the basement...keeping the 622 up in the living room and using it as Sat tv2?

Thanks again! :up

Yes you can. But you will not be able to receive HD signals to the basement. The 622 only outputs High Definition out of either the component out or HDMI out. The second tuner (TV2) out will only bring you 480i signals regardless of the channel being displayed (meaning even while viewing an HD channel or recorded HD content from the DVR, if view thru TV2 or RF outputs you will not see it in HD).

In order to fully receive HD into the basement is to run a coax between the basement and the DPP44 switch, and have a receiver capable of HD signals, like the ViP211.

Yes you can. But you will not be able to receive HD signals to the basement. The 622 only outputs High Definition out of either the component out or HDMI out. The second tuner (TV2) out will only bring you 480i signals regardless of the channel being displayed (meaning even while viewing an HD channel or recorded HD content from the DVR, if view thru TV2 or RF outputs you will not see it in HD).

In order to fully receive HD into the basement is to run a coax between the basement and the DPP44 switch, and have a receiver capable of HD signals, like the ViP211.

Ok...So I want to make sure that I am on the same page as you and every one else.

I will have the DPP44 installed in place of the grounding blocks. I will run a line from the DPP out to the basement..along with any seperators before the 622 as needed..from there I will be hooking that up to 622. From there..I will hook up HDMI or Component to my HD tv. Now..TV2...I will run a cable directly up to the living room and use the regular signal. This on the same page as you? Thank you for your patience. I realize I'm truly wet behind the ears. Again..thanks!

I would not advise using HDMI cable. There is a known software issue that the HDMI doesn't work properly with the VIP622. The best thing to use is the componnent cables. If you had a VIP211, HDMI works fine.

With the configuration you mentioned, you could send the componnent cables to the basement and run tv2 to the livingroom, but TV1 has a RF remote (line of site to the receiver) and would not work in the basement to change channels.

Hope this helps

Where maybe a few of the 622 HDMI problems are SW related, I'm quite sure the preponderence of them are hard failures, usually one or more of the delicate surface-mount connections of the HDMI socket breaking-free of the PCB. This has been confirmed by Dish themselves in several Tech Chats. Unless you never intend to use it, you should confirm that your HDMI output is functional by hooking it up. If there are issues, work with E* to get them corrected. You can also connect HD via the component connections. Do both for a comparision. Most prefer the PQ via the digital (HDMI) connection, but some prefer the analog (component) connected PQ. YMMV...

Actually, the TV2 remote (the UHF one) will work from another room, perhaps even your basement. It's the TV1 remote (IR) that is LOS only. When the 622 is operated in the "Single" mode, the TV1 and TV2 outputs are identical (same program) and either remote will control the unit...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)