Where to start? I read and read, still confuse

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lv6l

Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Hi, I am new to this FTA ordeal and would like to try it. I been reading some of the threads created by people explaining what this and that is but I am still very lost. My main question is where do I start? What do I have to buy and where do I buy it?

I hate to answer a question with a question, but what sort of programming are you seeking?

If we don't have what you want on Ku band, we can send you to C-band for more.
Look over what's available on Ku, at 123°, 97°, and 101°, for starters. (maybe 125° if you like PBS)

Our Gold Sponsors are good places to get hardware.
They generally offer package deals.

Here are some items to look for:
- blind scan receiver like the Fortec Star Mercury II is a suitable starting place
- 36" dish
- Standard (though Universal is okay) LNB
- some RG-6 coax with connectors, to hook it up
- there are grounding blocks and other small items to be used...
- get a compass and a level to install your mounting pole.
- I'd suggest a chest-height pole, in the back yard, maybe with a few bags of cement under it

Wow, quick reply and already very helpful. But I still have a lot to learn and understand before I attempt this so if you guys don't mind helping me I would greatly appreciate it. But back to the subject. The site you gave me is straight froward and clear. It's a lot easier (on the eyes) to read compare to others I have seen. What I mean is this one seems easier to understand compared to others. But I still don't understand anything just yet. Channels I am aiming for is to replace my current cable provider.

Channels like NBC, ABC, FOX, Discovery, Science, Discovery Health, etc.
Is it possible to get these channel through FTA? What will I need to buy and do to achieve this? On top of those channel I would like to have movie channels like HBO, Cinamax, PPV and some Vietnamese channels for my parents. Thanks. If I sound like a noob sorry.

Some of that programming are pay channels, and not available FTA.
All the networks can be had, though you may need both C-band (big dish, 6' or more) AND a Ku-band (3' dish) to get 'em all.

That list I linked above has channels listed by language.
I find it very helpful for newbies.
Once you get into the hobby, you'll want to use our own more technical, TheList which contains a wealth of info that'd just annoy you right now. ;)

I am a bit lost once again. I have a friend, his house has FTA. He has a pretty much all the channels I am looking for. He lives in a small apartment complex and there is no room for any big dish. How and where is he getting this? The only dish I would think he has are those standard size ones you see on people's roof.

If your friend gets pay channels on an FTA receiver, he is hacking Dish Network. This is not the same thing as FTA, which is receiving UNENCRYPTED channels from many different satellites. Discussions of hacking pay satellite service are not permitted on SatelliteGuys. For TRUE FTA, you would need at least a 30 inch dish, a linear Ku LNB (either universal or standard), and a clear view to the satellite you are trying to receive. For information on what's up there, see here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/

I am a bit lost once again. I have a friend, his house has FTA. He has a pretty much all the channels I am looking for. He lives in a small apartment complex and there is no room for any big dish. How and where is he getting this? The only dish I would think he has are those standard size ones you see on people's roof.
To be clear, your friend is stealing the signal from Dish Network (or some other pay TV provider) - that is illegal and we don't talk about theft of any sort in this forum.
Bob

To be clear, your friend is stealing the signal from Dish Network (or some other pay TV provider) - that is illegal and we don't talk about theft of any sort in this forum.
Bob

Oh ok. Sorry. Won't bring up again. I did not know.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)