Wherefore thy name?

TheTimm

Made In Detroit
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 18, 2004
Charlotte, NC
What's in a name?

I'm just curious as to why/how folks choose the usernames they use. Thought I'd start a thread as a place for anyone interested to explain how they came to use their username -- whether it's just your actual name or your initials or a college nickname or some spectacular story that involves headhunters and a vat of boiling oil, I'd be interested to know.

I'll start:

My name is Timm (actually Timothy -- Timm is just the shortened version. I added the extra "m" in grade school because I thought "Tim" was boring visually.). As for the "The", I saw some movie with Tom Green in it where he called himself "The Chad" and it amused me. I prefer to be called Timm if you're talking to me directly -- TheTimm if you're talking about me to someone else, or just publicly flaming me.

And I'd love to hear why you call yourself what you do, even if it doesn't involve a vat of boiling oil.

Ok the secret's out ;)

I'm not the Big Friendly Giant from Doom (or was it Duke Nukem?)

My name is just my initials :)

Rickaren= Rick my name and Karen is my Wife's name.

Have seen this applied before.

Sean Mota.... This is not my actual name but a code name I use here at Satelliteguys. My real name is "zlm" pronounce zlllmmmm... :) (just kidding)

My wife is Caitie, My name is Shawn and our last name is Schrotberger. I guess that says it all.

Waita minute. Some of you guys are using fake names! What's next? Finding out the avatarrs are not real photos?

Geronimo said:
Waita minute. Some of you guys are using fake names! What's next? Finding out the avatarrs are not real photos?
I assure you that is an actual photo. :D

Well, I'm not a doctor.

I regularly use this screen name as a tip of the hat to my somewhat quirky parents. Gave all 4 of their kids the same first and middle initials - the same as theirs :rolleyes: We still chuckle about the many battles over mail when we all lived at home.

Dave

Mine is pronounced like James without the "s". I guess it also works as an alternate spelling -- it's actually short for Jamie. Since none of my siblings could manage more than single syllable words. :D That's what I get for being the oldest. It's also what I get for being named after my father (and grandfather), and all the other nicknames were already in use (or despised). Oh, and like so many others, the "_g" represents my last initial.

My name comes from what I be doin' a lot of since I got my VuM. And I do it in 1080i.

So voila, 1080iBeVuMin.

But really, not just VuMin. VaVaVuMin!

Photo -- gotta love 1950s robots! :up

And I may be dense, but jaMe I don't get your avatar. What is it???

1080iBeVuMin said:
And I may be dense, but jaMe I don't get your avatar. What is it???

It's the Stargate (or an arc piece of it anyway). Kind of like the big "O" in voOm! (plus I'm into science fiction)

[edit: I changed the avatar to a wider view of the stargate for now. Hmm. I'll have to see if this grows on me. I think I liked the arc better.]

There could be a lot of conjecture about my name. It could be state of mind as in "mind in the ....". But actually it is the name of area between two printed pages where there is no print. Being a marketing person most of my life, I like to think of myself as between what has taken place and what is to come. Sort of like B&W to Color to HD.

gutter said:
There could be a lot of conjecture about my name. It could be state of mind as in "mind in the ....". But actually it is the name of area between two printed pages where there is no print. Being a marketing person most of my life, I like to think of myself as between what has taken place and what is to come. Sort of like B&W to Color to HD.

Oh, you're that Page Setting in Microsoft Word that I always set to ZERO! :D Hmm, I think I much prefer the version related to my sometimes stray state of mind. ;)

Last name is Stone. I've had the nickname since high school. There have been some unflattering variations that never stuck (thank goodness) like StoneHead, The Stoned Man, the Great Stone Face, etc. I always looked older than I was, so that's how the 'Man' part got applied. I was always the one who could buy booze when I was 18 and never got carded.

What a great thread Timm!

Unfortunately, my story isn't very exciting to relate. My name is Vicki...however, the avatar is a picture of my one true love...Boomer the Beagle! (Yeah, I know it's a picture of a basset hound, but Boomer's ears are extrodinarily long, and his attitude and mine sort of matches the picture! I did the best I could with what I had to work with!) :D Vicki

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)