Wheres the best place to buy an owned hd receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

briffaman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
new york
hi im thinking its cheaper to buy a used or new owned HD receiver and set up a new account and not get the discounted monthly rate rather than leasing the receiver and getting the discounted rates, would you guys agree? And where would be the best place to get a hd receiver, and which would be the best bang for my buck, is the h23 top of the line?

hi im thinking its cheaper to buy a used or new owned HD receiver and set up a new account and not get the discounted monthly rate rather than leasing the receiver and getting the discounted rates, would you guys agree? And where would be the best place to get a hd receiver, and which would be the best bang for my buck, is the h23 top of the line?

If your trying to avoid the 2 year contract, good luck ....

If your trying to outright buy a h23, doubt that you can as most everything after '06 is a lease.

Personally, I thought I would NEVER lease a recvr, had owned all mine to that point, but after seeing the ease of replacing when leased, I now lease all my equipment.

With technology changing so rapidly, I'm not sure I would want to own anymore.

As far as the best price, I generally find that by calling in to D*, generally if you sign up for the 2 year commit, you'll get a better price. They may offer you a savings, maybe not, alot has to do with your account standing, how long you been there, payment history, ect.

Costco and BB are about the only places locally you will find that you can do your own install. ..... they too are LEASED it's listed on the outside of each box as well as on the access card inside.

Last edited:
The ONLY advantage I can see with owning, is that you do have the flexibility to turn off owned receivers at will, if it's one that is only needed part time. (guest room, RV/camper, etc.) You can't do this with leased, because when you do, they'll want it returned. Other than that, it makes more sense to lease as Jimbo pointed out...

The ONLY advantage I can see with owning, is that you do have the flexibility to turn off owned receivers at will, if it's one that is only needed part time. (guest room, RV/camper, etc.) You can't do this with leased, because when you do, they'll want it returned. Other than that, it makes more sense to lease as Jimbo pointed out...

As for temp. turn off you can always suspend your recvr, keep in mind , the commitment is still in place at the point you suspended it.

As for temp. turn off you can always suspend your recvr, keep in mind , the commitment is still in place at the point you suspended it.

Well I guess I was talking more about secondary receivers - if you turn off or suspend ANY secondary leased units, I believe they have to be returned when you turn them off. And on the primary, it you are turning the whole account on/off at will, then yea, owning would still be better, in that you could keep the receiver w/out having to start all over from scratch.

Well I guess I was talking more about secondary receivers - if you turn off or suspend ANY secondary leased units, I believe they have to be returned when you turn them off. And on the primary, it you are turning the whole account on/off at will, then yea, owning would still be better, in that you could keep the receiver w/out having to start all over from scratch.

Gotcha :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)