Which Arc higher in sky?

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
I am moving to Raleigh, NC, and I don't really want to put a dish on the front of my new house, so I am trying to determine if I can put one on the back of my roof and pick up signal. The house faces roughly southwest.

Since the dish would be on the back of the roof, I assume I should try to get a dish to pick up which ever group of sats sit higher in the sky. dishpointer.com shows the eastern arc setup with a higher elevation, but I wasn't sure that meant what I thought it would.

So, which sats would be higher in the sky for me Eastern or Western Arc?

Thanks,
Ted

PS - If I can't get signal from the back of the roof, I guess I am going to have to order cable and get some Tivos.

Remember that the sat signal actually comes in from about 20 degrees above the elevation of the dish.

Remember that the sat signal actually comes in from about 20 degrees above the elevation of the dish.

Right, so is the elevation relative to the ground or the zenith or something else (nadir seems unlikely)?

Thanks,
Ted

Right, so is the elevation relative to the ground or the zenith or something else (nadir seems unlikely)?
No, it's elevation of the satellite LOS above the horizontal. It should be around 45 deg at your location, so unless you have an incredibly steep roof, this can be done.

No, it's elevation of the satellite LOS above the horizontal. It should be around 45 deg at your location, so unless you have an incredibly steep roof, this can be done.

The roof is not too steep. Fingers Crossed.

Ted

Is it the higher elevation of EA sats that has been causing all the posts about rainfade?
Mostly poorly peaked dishes caused the issues. Since new sats have arrived at 61.5 and 72.7, rain fade should not be an issue.

Well, after discussing with the wife, it seems we're going to try Tivo with cable. Still, good to know Satellite is still an option of that doesn't work out.

Ted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts