which codecs can handle 4:2:2

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Jeeezus man my system keeps on freezing now, when i try to lock to transponders, after the Tsreader crash... this is not good man! i'll probably do a clean reinstall tomorrow and see what happens :mad:

Jeeezus man my system keeps on freezing now, when i try to lock to transponders, after the Tsreader crash... this is not good man! i'll probably do a clean reinstall tomorrow and see what happens :mad:

That sucks. I wonder if TSReader doesn't play well with core2's as it has never crashed on my A64?

Any one reading this ever use TSReader on a core2?

No I'm using a Biostar NF325A7 mobo, which is a nForce3 250 chipset, socket 754. RAM doesn't seem to be an issue...never gets pass about 200MB. I'll have to swap mobos regardless. No overclocking for me...mobo doesn't fully support it. It has a menu option in the BIOS, but doesn't let you REALLY run it up. Weird, I know. So, I'm trying to weigh my options financially...I have other hobbies too. Plus, in 6 months, I'll still need the same amount of processing power, but I'll be able to get it a lot cheaper. Haha.

That sucks. I wonder if TSReader doesn't play well with core2's as it has never crashed on my A64?

I've used Tsreader on a core 2 Duo and never had any problems. Also before the core 2 Duo system I used it on a dual Xeon system with hyperthreading (with a total of 4 virtual cpus) and had no troubles there either. If there's anyone having a problem with Tsreader that appears to be related to the use of a multiprocessor/multicore/hyperthreaded system it must be specifc to the particular device they're using and/or the device drivers for that device as Tsreader itself is quite thread safe and shouldn't have any such issues. However, It's likely that the problems people are experiencing here are likley unrealted to any of this and are likely caused by something else.

I use TSReader on AMD X2 4200, not the same as the core2 though. The dual core is needed to decode those fat 35mbps 4:2:2 feeds and de-interlace them properly in VLC. DVBDream wouldn't decode this one with Purevideo until I turned on Elecard, but Elecard had problems keeping up with the high bit rate.

I'm just too spoiled with the TSReader+VLC combo.... ;) No scanning, no pids, punch in the freq and SR and you're done.

No I'm using a Biostar NF325A7 mobo, which is a nForce3 250 chipset, socket 754.
Oh right. No luck with the X2 upgrade for you then.
RAM doesn't seem to be an issue...never gets pass about 200MB.
Are you sure this is the actual physical memory being used?
I'll have to swap mobos regardless. No overclocking for me...mobo doesn't fully support it. It has a menu option in the BIOS, but doesn't let you REALLY run it up.
Clockgen on windows mate ;)
I've used Tsreader on a core 2 Duo and never had any problems. Also before the core 2 Duo system I used it on a dual Xeon system with hyperthreading (with a total of 4 virtual cpus) and had no troubles there either. If there's anyone having a problem with Tsreader that appears to be related to the use of a multiprocessor/multicore/hyperthreaded system it must be specifc to the particular device they're using and/or the device drivers for that device as Tsreader itself is quite thread safe and shouldn't have any such issues. However, It's likely that the problems people are experiencing here are likley unrealted to any of this and are likely caused by something else.
I use TSReader on AMD X2 4200, not the same as the core2 though. The dual core is needed to decode those fat 35mbps 4:2:2 feeds and de-interlace them properly in VLC. DVBDream wouldn't decode this one with Purevideo until I turned on Elecard, but Elecard had problems keeping up with the high bit rate.

Thanks for all this feedback on the dual-core issue. I don't think this is the problem though. I reckon i've just did something nasty to the lnb settings TSreader was asking me- i'd never been asked that sort of thing so i wasn't really sure on what i was doing! Also, my new motherboard has the pci slots in different places of it so my skystar 2 is now right at the bottom, not much air going around there. Maybe it just got too hot. I should be installing a fan in the area at some point (dunno if I should put it in admission or extraction yet though).
I'm just too spoiled with the TSReader+VLC combo.... ;) No scanning, no pids, punch in the freq and SR and you're done.
Sorry to keep on getting back to this one, but i really don't see how all you people can be happy with the bob deinterlacing on VLC - it just looks disgusting to me...

DVBDream wouldn't decode this one with Purevideo until I turned on Elecard

What exactly do you mean by this? What do you mean by "turning on"? Elecard doesn't use the purevideo hardware. AFAIK, only nvidia's purevideo codec, cyberlink 6 and 7 and possibly latest nero and intervideo use this for the time being.

Sorry to keep on getting back to this one, but i really don't see how all you people can be happy with the bob deinterlacing on VLC - it just looks disgusting to me...

Looks awesome over here, I can flip back and forth from the same HD content via OTA and the FTA feed looks much better due to no middle man type deal. Sometimes the blend or discard looks better, I usually flip through the different ones and find th best. Do you have enough CPU horsepower to handle the de-interlacing correctly?

What exactly do you mean by this? What do you mean by "turning on"? Elecard doesn't use the purevideo hardware. AFAIK, only nvidia's purevideo codec, cyberlink 6 and 7 and possibly latest nero and intervideo use this for the time being.

Just like I said... Purevideo wouldn't decode the the 4:2:2 feed so I flipped the codec to Elecard.

Just like I said... Purevideo wouldn't decode the the 4:2:2 feed so I flipped the codec to Elecard.
Ah i understand. It's just that the way you said "DVBDream wouldn't decode this one with Purevideo until I turned on Elecard" would suggest that you needed the elecard to properly accelerate the purevideo motor. It's quite a brainer actually as nvidia call both their SW and their HW "purevideo".
Anyway,
Looks awesome over here, I can flip back and forth from the same HD content via OTA and the FTA feed looks much better due to no middle man type deal. Sometimes the blend or discard looks better, I usually flip through the different ones and find th best. Do you have enough CPU horsepower to handle the de-interlacing correctly?
Depends what you consider CPU horsepower to be... :D
E6600 on P5B deluxe, 2GB ram teamgroup xtreem soon to be o/c @ 400Mhz fsb is that enough for you?
If your used to the purevideo image with vmr9, i just can't see how you can watch anything with vlc.
Please don't get me wrong - not trying to flame you, not a whee bit. And vlc is great software, gnu/gpl and all, don't need no codecs, can decode loads formats and stuff. But i just can't get around to watching anything with VLC when i've been used to purevideo or cyberlink.

Depends what you consider CPU horsepower to be... :D
E6600 on P5B deluxe, 2GB ram teamgroup xtreem soon to be o/c @ 400Mhz fsb is that enough for you?
If your used to the purevideo image with vmr9, i just can't see how you can watch anything with vlc.
Please don't get me wrong - not trying to flame you, not a whee bit. And vlc is great software, gnu/gpl and all, don't need no codecs, can decode loads formats and stuff. But i just can't get around to watching anything with VLC when i've been used to purevideo or cyberlink.

Maybe something is different on mine... I was watching the 1920X1080i 35mbps football feed on Sunday, I was flipping back and forth between my 1920x1080i OTA tuner and VLC. The OTA looked good but the VLC knocked its socks off. I didn't see any interlacing problems and we watched the entire game. A couple of people never knew it was a PC displaying the video content until I picked up the mouse and double clicked the screen.

It's a no brainer though... my dual core 4200 AMD is barely enough for elecard to process the 35mbps 1080i HD feed. TSReader and VLC handle it beautifully with plenty of CPU power left over.

I'm not suggesting that VLC can't do it, i'm just saying that the image quality looks very bad to me. Anyway, i can't compare with purevideo on the same machine/ same display. And its bob or whatever deinterlacing does my head in, it's definetly not as smooth as nvidia's spatial-temporal deinterlacing. We definetly need some screenshots on the go :D

Is there a way of getting vlc to use vmr9?

****** hell man did a clean reinstall of all my setup, and i get the same problem!!
My skystar 2 keeps on disappearing from my setup! then i reboot, and there it is, with a yellow exclamation mark saying error code 10

This is really bad news man. I could do without it to be honest. I'm looking out for possible solutions for this. Has anyone ever heard about this?

You guys are making more and more glad that I ordered a dvb world box instead of a skystar.

Sorry mate, what does that have to do with it? Each box has it's own advantages and disadvantages. If your talking about the vlc debate, it has nothing to do with the fact that your running a twinham or skystar or dvbworld.

Exactly. Skystar is the most common card...almost like the "Cadillac" of cards...but they're hard to get in the US and cost more. The Twinhan 102g is the most common in the US and also the cheapest. The DVBWorld is the easiest to install. They all have perks, but from what I understand, they all get the job done.

Exactly. Skystar is the most common card...almost like the "Cadillac" of cards...but they're hard to get in the US and cost more. The Twinhan 102g is the most common in the US and also the cheapest. The DVBWorld is the easiest to install. They all have perks, but from what I understand, they all get the job done.

I'm not sure I would call the Skystar cards the "Cadillac" of cards. I'm not saying they're bad cards but in my experience they're not that great either. Also, for the record the Skystar cards have in the past had problems with certain systems. One thing that comes to mind is an issue with smp/hyperthreaded systems. It seems the driver for the cards wasn't threadsafe. Whether or not those problems were ever fixed in driver updates, I don't know. For anyone with a Dual core, dual processor, or hyperthreaded system this would certainly be something youd want to look into and unless the problem has been fixed youd likely want to consider another card. This could explain the problems bid0n is having with his card. Anyway, if this is the problem he's having it's not the fault of Tsreader or any other piece of thrid party software but is in fact a flaw in the way the device driver for the card is written.

Well, my 2cents worth, the Skystar is a GREAT card. I don't know anything about the twinham so i don't feel concerned about this debate really...

About my problem, knock on wood :D it's just an irq conflict problem hopefully. Have reinstalled the card on different pci slots and it seems to be coping alright in there ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)