Which Dire*tv hd box should I get?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

guitardedboy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
The samsung or the hughes, is there a difference in lag time or picture quality. They are both 299.99 to the best of my knowledge ???

Whatever you do, stay away from the Samsung T360 model. There a major issues with this box. Call Value Electronics or visit them online www.valueelectronics.com and ask for the RCA DTC-210 HD receiver. I have it and I know many others who have it and are extremely pleased with it.

I got the H-10 at best buy this weekend. It is awesome so far and I'm not having any audio or picture problems at all, and the menus are pretty quick.

Thanks.

P.S. I went to ciruit city and got some douchebag sales rep that was trying to sell me a samsung 360 and swore up and down that it was the best hd reciever on the market. I told him that I had read on sattelite forums that the receiver was garbage and he replied, who would you believe a bunch of geeks on the internet that think they know it or a professional that deals with this equipment on a first hand basis.

BTW that was the only HD reciever they had instock at the time

Does anyone have the H10 hooked up using component (YPbPr) hookups. My HD set is an older model and does not have the HDMI input.

mine is hooked up with components. I have Monster 2 cables on it.

The picture is awesome

If your set has DVI-HDCP then simply buy an adapter and your all set.

I'm sorry to hear you wasted money on Monster Cables! What a waste. So overpriced for no profromance advantage at all.

Stay away from Samsung I've had a HDTV receiver out for warranty repair since Nov. 18th so far I've received two non working repaired units as replacements. They are as bad as DISH Notwerk.

mini1 said:
I'm sorry to hear you wasted money on Monster Cables! What a waste. So overpriced for no profromance advantage at all.

I'm not upset at all since I only spent 35 bucks on them. My buddy works at best buy and someone brought back the cables, so he bought them as a retuned item plus got his employee discount, so 35 bucks is not a bad deal for Monster 2 cables

I received a Sammy 360 from Directv because my Hughes stopped working. I was sent a universal remote(not a Samsung) which did not do guide or menu functions. After complaining, D credited me with the purchase price of a Samsung remote which I purchased online. So you have that issue to deal with if you get a 360. Also, the Sammy freezes up at least once a week and I have to reboot it. Otherwise it works ok. Hope the unit that replaces it when the move to MPEG4 happens is a better unit.

boba said:
Stay away from Samsung I've had a HDTV receiver out for warranty repair since Nov. 18th so far I've received two non working repaired units as replacements. They are as bad as DISH Notwerk.

Actually, from what I've been reading, none of the HD receivers currently available (TS360, HD10, and HD10-250) are consistently very reliable/durable. I've read many reviews and the HD10-250 apparently has had some serious problems with the HDMI port and the hardware. The other two lock up and have sync problems with the audio and video on certain channels/settings. I've been debating for a long time on whether or not to go HD on D*, then when I decided to take the plunge I couldn't find any receivers I liked. I should clarify by saying that this is not first hand experience, but through reading lots of reviews and message boards on this very topic. Seems the other companies have discontinued theirs. I'm thinking of getting a used model from EBay that was made before D* took control of the branding , but have some concerns about that. I've been leaning towards the Sony HD300 or the LG LSS 3200A based on my research (and previous experience with other Sony products). But I've also been reading that with the new stuff that D* is doing (more satellites, MPEG4) that I'll likely eventually need a new dish and receiver, which makes the decision to take the plunge even harder. It looks like D* plans on upgrading everyone on their tab, but I'd hate to spend over $500 for a Sony, just to have D* replace it with a $300 model in the upgrade. And now for the question within a reply...where are there reliable sources on what equipment will be available/needed in the future and when?

beast37799 said:
i have to disagree i do notice better quality with monster cables then the ones that came with the sammy
There is no advantage over high quality, low priced cables that you could buy from bluegeans.com, ram electronics or pacificable.com.
with Monster you pay for the hype, packaging and in-store displays, not the cable. I was just looking at a DVI to HDMI cable. Monster wanted nearly $200, any quality online retailer wanted $40. Same exact cable technology, different prices. Monster is almost always a complete waste of money.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts