Which Dish 1000.2 or 1000.4

Chris04626

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
MAine
I am installing a hopper and 1 joey in my travel trailer Already have a solo node.

Any good satellite finders to help with pointing it?

Also whats the best way to mount it?

A tripod with adjustable legs makes you like a whole lot easier in try to get the mast vertical, a key element for aiming. I prefer the TV4RV.com HD tripod.

I used an Accutrac 22 Pro for several years until the battery wore out. Key feature was the generation of a 22KHz signal to insure you are aiming with the 119 LNBF, again a key element in aiming.

I now use a First Strike FS1. It costs more but the aiming is a lot easier and the FS1 identifies the satellite.

I also use a Align-A-Site tool, not low cost. The advantage of the AAS is the periscope that gives you a rough idea if the field of range is open. Also, the Azimuth compass rose is very handy if you lock in on the wrong satellite. Otherwise an eyeball 9/10 degree change is tough. Had to do that sometimes with the Accutrac, not with the FS1

Depends on which arc (E or W) the local channels are located on, that you wish to receive - 1.4k dish is for EA, while 1.2k is for WA. If you don't care about local channels, then either one will work; however, note that EA will ONLY work w/HD receivers. (obviously not a prob w/Hoppers, but something to keep in mind if you do NOT go with the Ho/Jo's...)

Why not go with a Winegard X1 or X2?

Maine. Well, make that an X2. Sure, $400 or so, but no aiming, takes up little space, saves time, works on both arcs and supports two receivers. A good place to buy, at some savings is Dish Depot. Some places sell it for $400 or less- Google it. Not going to vouch for any of these cheapo guys. I suspect there's a reason they're cheaper.

DON'T get a Tailgater, they seem unreliable.

Of course, this is for the ViP211 series. I see you're looking at the Hopper, which I love, but you might give this some thought if you haven't committed to the Hopper already.

Last edited:
If you have a Hopper at home, you can still have a ViP211 series on the account, for tailgating and use at the RV. The ViP211 series is not as great as the Hopper, but it can also be made into a DVR and your life will be much easier with an X2. It would have to be an owned ViP211 series, but that means you can deactivate it when not in use, saving some money. And your Hopper would be subjected to less vibration and possible damage. A LOT easier to replace an EHD.

I used to use a tripod, with the 500 dish. No problem. But the larger 1000.4 can be a bit more awkward to deal with, not to mention the space and time it takes up. Different folks report different degrees of happiness with aiming the larger dishes. I personally have never aimed a 1000 series dish. My (owned) camping spot, alas, has no line of sight. And we don't take it on the road any more, since diesel got so expensive. So we use the Hopper transfer feature to our iPad, or just use Dish Anywhere.

those do not work with the hopper system

As noted when I added more in edit. Of course, I got that edit in one minute before you, so I win! ;)

I realized I did not start with noting the post was about another option, hence the additional edit and the added post.

yes, i already have the hopper at home, and would like to take that and a joey so i can operate 2 tvs. My camper will be parked at a seasonal campground.

Why not go with a Winegard X1 or X2?
Because he might want to look at a couple of satellites at the same time. X1 and X2 can be very constrictive.

As for the kit, if this is going to be a one time setup, then the fixed leg tripod is usable. If you are going traveling, the fixed leg tripod will make it hard to get the mast vertical.

I use a 1000.4 (both Eastern & Western arc LNBs) and an Acutrac III+ meter -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acutrac-III...d=100011&prg=9700&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=330466067738.

Unlike the First Strike meter, the Acutrac III displays sat signal strength, not sat ID. However, the Acutrac shows the signal strength of all 3 sats simultaneously. Very handy when you're trying to acquire three sats at once.

As to the posting about a 1000.2 or 1000.4 being unwieldy and difficult to transport -- not so, as both dishes can be broken down fairly easily.

Space in a TT is at a premium. But if this is permanent, then a fixed pole mount is best.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I am looking up dishes online how come some 1000.4 are grey and others are black. Does it matter>?

ALso any recommendations on Rg-6 Connectors? Brass Crimp or Compression?

Last edited:
I just looked at the dish they have here at my house when they put my hopper in it only has 2 lnbs on it Black Dish that says Dish HD Went into the info and it says it only gets 72 and 61.5

Last edited:
ok why would i want the 1000.4 then i see they come with the 3 lnbs the 1000.2 with the twin are alot cheaper on ebay lol

I just looked at the dish they have here at my house when they put my hopper in it only has 2 lnbs on it Black Dish that says Dish HD Went into the info and it says it only gets 72 and 61.5
That's a 1000.2 with a Eastern Arc Twin LNB.

Previous post about only needing the 3rd LNB (sat 77) for "internationals" is misleading.

Sat 77 is used to provide network programming (ABC, CBS, etc) in some cities. This could be important for some RVers who depend on local stations now that DNS is no longer available.

However, since it looks like you'll be camping at only one location, it probably won't be an issue, but you might what to check to see where your locals will be coming from:
- Enter the ZIP code of your seasonal location to get the locals city (http://www.dish.com/entertainment/channels/local/)
- Then lookup this city on this link and you can check which sats are used for the locals (http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=dishnetworkmarkets&sub=true#AK)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts