Which dish for weekend fishing camp?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The sd signal should cover both areas with no problems. The hd signal may be a bit sketchy in bad weather but okay otherwise.

So, my best bet would be to go with this SD dish?>>>> 18 Inch x 20 Inch Triple LNB DIRECTV Multi-Satellite Dish Antenna (OD1820-BX) for the easiest setup?
I would like to watch in HD, but I won't be there every single weekend. I just don't want to have to miss a game...unless the fish are biting!

Texasbrit, Thanks for taking the time to look those things up for me I may get lucky and be inside of the spotbeam. I realize I am stretching the use of my direct TV account and would never complain about anything in this regard. I also eventually would like to use a dish for tailgating at some LSU games. This flexability was a big reason why I switched from cable.

The sd signal should cover both areas with no problems. The hd signal may be a bit sketchy in bad weather but okay otherwise.

Many HD spotbeams and even some SD spotbeams are smaller than 200 miles across, but I agree that the chances of getting SD are very high, HD not so much. HD locals will require a slimline 5 dish and would be worth a try, although setting it up for tailgating is more complicated.

I was going by the New Orleans hd and sd spot beams since the satmaps don't have one for Lafayette.

Many thanks to you guys!

I spoke to a local direct TV dealer and he agreed to let me try to setup a sl5 swm dish (i guess thats the right dish) and bring it back to him for a refund if I cannot get it tuned in. If I can't get it I'll get a 3 lnb SD dish. I went to dishpointer and got the info on sats 99,101,103,110,119. What's not clear is where do you start on the dish setup when you get different elevations and azimuth's for each satellite? Do you start with 101 and tweak the signals from there? What about the different elevations?? Can you tell I've never done this before? :confused:

Just wanted to update. I brought a SL5 SWM dish out and was able to install and tune it in using the receiver! It did take me a while as I was using my iphone for a compass. The neighbor came over with his "fancy" compass and we found I was about 4 degrees off. I also had to change locations due to trees. I brought my receiver back home and it operated correctly without having to change anything. Thanks for all the advice.

Excellent! Any problems getting your local channels in hd?

Excellent! Any problems getting your local channels in hd?

Nope! No problems with the locals! Yet? I am a happy "camper"! And the kids were able to be "occupied" with Disney channel while we sat on the porch in the evening. Now I can go out to the camp during football season and not miss a play!

Out here in the Seattle DMA, the spotbeams seem quite wide -- definitely wider on SD than HD... for SD, even 150 miles north of Portland I get 100's on both TP's for Seattle and Portland... I even get the TP's for Sacramento and Salt Lake City on 101 with between 30-40, which would be watchable as long as there was no rain at all--and if I ever wanted to "move", I could get a bigger dish and fix that.

HD is the same situation with Seattle and Portland, plus Yakima (about 100 miles away as a crow flies) comes in around 80, and Spokane (other side of the state) comes in around 75... I think Bend/Medford is in there too since I get a couple HD spots in the 40's... SLC and Sacramento seem out of the picture HD wise (I haven't mapped the TP's for 119, but I also get a bunch of 119 spots in the 60's - 70's so it's probably Yakima/Spokane/Bend/Medford which means they would come in perfectly fine SD as well).

I know there are a few areas with "tight" spot beams in the east... but you can still watch your locals with signals down to 30-35, provided there is no rain, and they don't "overlap" the same TP's at the edge, so for the most part you can go pretty far.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hr 44 freeze up

Protection Plan Premiere experiences?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)