Which dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KingsFan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 4, 2005
I'm probably going to be moving from E* to D* in the next few weeks and wanted to know which dish I should get. Is there anything in the total choice plus package that you can't get with the single 18" dish? If so is there a list somewhere that shows which channels (including which locals and reginal sports channels) are on which satellites? If I get the three LNB dish and upgrade to HD at a later date will the new dish (5 LNB) be provided free? I'd hate to pay extra for the current three LNB dish if I really don't need it and then have to pay to upgrade to the 5 LNB if I go to HD in a year or so. I'll be hooking up two DVRs (R10 or R15) if that makes a difference.
Thanks.

So if my locals are on 101 (which they are) and I don't need HD or internatinal then a single 18" pointed at 101 gets me everything in the Total Choice plus w/ locals package and there would be no benefit to me having the 18X20 3LNB dish (correct me if I'm wrong).

So, how many outputs do I get from the single 18" dish? What type of switch(es) do I need to feed the four inputs (2 on each DVR). Will the switch be included in the installation if I self install?

LNB on 18" dish usually has 2 outputs (dual LNB). Don't get a dish with a single output LNB. Both outputs will go into a multiswitch. You will need at minimum a 2x4 multiswitch. Most available are 3x4 switches. The 3rd input is for a OTA antenna but can be left unconnected if you don't have an antenna.

on the single lnb dish you will have 2 outputs, and you will need a 2x4 multi-switch.

all of the TC+ programming comes from the 101 sat. only thing that would come from a different sat would be locals, hd, or international stuff.

Thanks for the responses.

Can I get the 2X4 or 3X4 switch included for free if I do a self install? If I order from VE or another online retailer?

You would get a phase 3 dish free from most retailers if you qualify as a new customer. It comes with 4 outputs, no external switch needed. Is there a specific reason you want to avoid it?

The reason to avoid the phase III dish is that it can be difficult to align especially for first-time DIY'ers. The standard 18" dish is much easier.
Call and ask VE if they can supply a multiswitch with an 18" dish.

Part of the problem is that I have 2 leads that go from my installation site (on the roof) to an On-Q box in the master bedroom closet. This was put in when the house was built and I'm not sure what would be required to run another two lines without tearing into the walls. With the 18" dish I can use the two leads and put the switch in the OnQ box.

Plus it sounds like the phase III dish will be obsolete when the new 5LNB comes out?

the 5 lnb dish will only be good for a year or so, then dtv will be coming with a 6 lnb dish that will see all of the sats, 95, 99, 101, 103, 110, 119. that's of course when all of our new sats our up and running supposedly by 2007.

Hmmm... Maybe I should just wait for the 13 LNB Dish. ;)

KingsFan said:
Hmmm... Maybe I should just wait for the 13 LNB Dish. ;)

That's actually the core of the point.
I wouldn't wait at all.

Run 4 lines to your dish.
Go for the 3LNB 18x20 dish now.
Even when you have to get the 5LNB dish:
  • DirecTV will probably give you the new dish for free.
  • You'll have enough lines run to the dish for almost any scenario.

Otherwise, it's all just :strike:
:rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)