Which do you trust more - EHD or 622's HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shortspark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
texas
I'm just wondering from a technical standpoint which hard drive is more reliable, the receiver's hard drive (I have the 622) or an external hard drive? I ask the question because there are several things I want to archive for a long, long time. These include some HD movies like King Kong, a couple Star Wars flicks, among others, that can really show off my 104" screen/DLP projector and sound theater. Also, I have some vintage MET Opera broadcasts of some 60 years ago I recorded off Sirius that I would like to save - maybe forever.

If you were to archive valuable recordings would you be more comfortable using the external hard drive (I have a WD Basic that works great - so far that is) or keep them on the internal HD contained in the receiver? Although nothing is bullet proof, I think it is safe to say computer internal hard drives have been found to be generally more reliable than external ones. Having said that, I presently still have my best recordings archived to the external drive.

If the general feeling here is that the 622's HD is less likely to fail than the external drive, I can easily move some of my lessor recordings to the external hard drive and transfer back to the 622 the more desireable ones. I know space is always a factor but I think I can do this and still have plenty of drive space for future recordings. When push comes to shove, I'll just have to prioritize in order to free up space on the 622.

So, which is more reliable over the long haul for archives, the 622 internal HD or an external drive?

For your opera broadcasts, get it off on CD for long-term storage. Hard drives eventually die. It's a fact of life, due to moving parts and general wear and tear...eventually they will fail. Archiving your movies onto onto an EHD and only using the drive when you want/need to will certainly make them last longer than using that drive daily. Eventually, those films will be on some hi-def disc format...then you can buy them and they'll last a very long time.

But with hard drives...some will run for years and years, others die fast. It's just the chance you take.

I trust the external drives more because
1- I can turn it off and disconnect it
2- especially if new software is downloading, see #1
3- if it's REALLY important, i can ghost a copy of the drive
4- Did I mention, I can disconnect the drive if there's new software being spooled, just in case.
:D

E HDD is safer

The E HDD is safer since it will be newer and can be removed. Plain and simple it can also just be unplugged to power it down w/o dis-connecting from the DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)