Which FTA LNB would you recommend?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
PLL's mostly matter on very hard to acquire signals.
So, if you are going after something where you are not in the prime signal coverage,
or trying to get by with a too small dish,
then they can make a big difference.
For the regular signals on a proper size dish, you may not see much difference.
?.

One thing I did notice with the PLL lnb's, is that they can hold a signal way past the time they should, which actually makes it HARDER to aim a dish if you are setting it up for the first time, or tweaking it. That can lead to mis-aimed dishes if you aren't paying enough attention. That might not make a lot of difference on a fixed dish, but it can sure end up being bad for a motorized system as you travel from sat to sat.

Last year, the PLL LNBFs didnt exist, and everybody got along fine.
Order and use the SL2 - it'll solve your immediate problem.
Order a couple of the Ecoda 22khz switches and READ the post in the Switches Simplified FAQ explaining how they can work with Universal LNBFs!
Finally, get one of SatAV's single output Standard PLL LNBFs to get some experience.
That should cover all the bases. :up

I will do this. I am certain that your advice is good advice. Thank you! :)

PLL's mostly matter on very hard to acquire signals.
So, if you are going after something where you are not in the prime signal coverage,
or trying to get by with a too small dish,
then they can make a big difference.
For the regular signals on a proper size dish, you may not see much difference.
?.

This is good to know.

One thing I did notice with the PLL lnb's, is that they can hold a signal way past the time they should, which actually makes it HARDER to aim a dish if you are setting it up for the first time, or tweaking it. That can lead to mis-aimed dishes if you aren't paying enough attention. That might not make a lot of difference on a fixed dish, but it can sure end up being bad for a motorized system as you travel from sat to sat.

This too is good to know…

This has become quite the educational experience for me. Well, we’ve managed to make lemonade out of lemons…

Thanks guys !! :D

“Well there’s your problem!”

When I brought that bad 22khz switch in the house the other day I tossed it on my desk and forgot about it. But all day today I kept smelling something BAD..
After awhile it began to really get on my nerves so I started trying to find it. It is that very distinct smell of burnt electronics.

I was freaking out thinking my computer was burning up or a display or something.. But I found it, it was the switch.

I popped the back off of it to see what was in it and I could see a little black thing that looks brunt and popped open.

One of these things is not like the others. As they say..

As cheap as it is to replace it I can’t imagine wasting the time, effort or money to fix it. But at least I know for certain now what the problem was..

?

Attachments

• IMG_5805.JPG
    IMG_5805.JPG
    605.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_5806.JPG
    IMG_5806.JPG
    580.4 KB · Views: 176
That's a surface mount transistor. Must have taken a jolt of electricity somehow to pop it. Did you hook it up with the power on, or anything like that?

Either way, it probably saved the rest of your system from being fried by basically acting like a fuse.

That's a surface mount transistor. Must have taken a jolt of electricity somehow to pop it. Did you hook it up with the power on, or anything like that?

Either way, it probably saved the rest of your system from being fried by basically acting like a fuse.

As far as I know I haven’t done any disconnecting or connecting with power on. I always shut down the tuner properly then pull the power cord from it so they entire system is cold and dead before I mess with stuff.
I just assumed it was your standard cheap Chinese garbage living up to it’s well known reputation.

Built up static electricity can easily destroy any eclectronic switch even when all the power is removed. The worst are the cheap disq switches that are provided free with the purchase of the receiver.

The last time I saw a component damaged in that manner it was caused by lightning. The inside of the LNBF and the cable connectors looked like that. The buried cable survived and is still in use today even though it's 26 years old.

Hey guys, here’s a slightly stupid question that’s slightly off topic but, sort of related.

Is there any such thing as a PLL circular LNB? I have three physically separate (and abnormally large) dishes up for my Dish Network stuff and I’m wondering if there is a wicked bad a** LNB I can get for them? It sounds like a PLL would be really good for this. I have tree issues (still) and by using the really large dishes I’ve more or less overcome the problem. I think though that better LNB’s would really benefit me though.

Now, back on topic.

In my digging around in my junk box I found a weird little LNB that is single polarity. It came off of a Muzack dish my dad bought when a local lumbar store went out of business.

It’s a Norsat 4508A. I googled it and it says it’s a DRO type. Again, this is something I know nothing about.

Here’s the info I found on it, http://www.satcom.com/norsat-4508a-band-p-224.html

?What I was thinking of doing is putting up a separate dish just for 83w exclusively with this LNB on it and since it’s horizontal only that I’m interested in (RTV/PBJ) I could feed the output to a 3x4 so I could supply several tuners and not worry about getting it via the motorized dish which is a tad unreliable.

Yes no?

As for a PLL linear, I’m thinking of buying two of them next week, one for me and one for my dad. My dad has trouble with his dish picking up RTV and the PBS stations are touchy. I’ve tried to adjust the dish but apparently I’m not very good at it. Fixed dishes, I can manage. Motorized dishes, not so much.

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• Norsat_4000_LNB.pdf
    104.4 KB · Views: 537
Circular PLL LNBF: I'm not aware of any such part.
DBS satellites already operate with superior power, and are spaced 9 degrees apart in the USA.
I know you are already using larger dishes for 110/119/129, so...
- dynamite: blow up interfering tree
- high powered laser: burn a hole in the foliage you can see the bird through it
- relocate dishes to a clear spot
Your Norsat will certainly do what you want.
There is a little adapter disc maybe 1/4" thick and the size of a half dollar used to mate it to your existing feedhorn.
Assuming you are on a Primestar/ChannelMaster/Andrew dish. :up
?.

Circular PLL LNBF: I'm not aware of any such part.
DBS satellites already operate with superior power, and are spaced 9 degrees apart in the USA.
I know you are already using larger dishes for 110/119/129, so...
- dynamite: blow up interfering tree
- high powered laser: burn a hole in the foliage you can see the bird through it
- relocate dishes to a clear spot
Your Norsat will certainly do what you want.
There is a little adapter disc maybe 1/4" thick and the size of a half dollar used to mate it to your existing feedhorn.
Assuming you are on a Primestar/ChannelMaster/Andrew dish. :up
?.

LOL!! Well, I would think the authorities wouldn’t approve so much of option one no matter how satisfying it may be to exercise that option. :D Maybe I could have Mythbusters come do it for me.. :D

Option two, I like that.. I’ve seen green lasers but from what I gather, they won’t cut. I’ve seen that blue lasers can cut. So like mount one on a tripod and sit back and top the trees.
I know you have to cycle the laser because it will overheat and burn up. So burn a little, rest a little. Even if it takes days, this would work. It’s like having the ultimate chainsaw!

I only need to take about 5 feet off the top of one tree and the branches are small enough that they would cause no harm to anything when they fall. If it catches fire, oh well !

I really like this option…

Option three, moving the dishes. Much easier said than done. In theory it’s a good idea but it would be a problem. I like option two. I’m gonna shop for a burning laser. Really.. I am.. :D

?I have several spare Primestar/ChannelMaster/Andrew dishes I can throw up for a dedicated 83w dish with the Norsat..

Seriously, thank you for the laser idea. I really, really, really like that idea! A LOT!! :up :up :up :up :up :up :up

Edit: Say hello to my little friend! (maybe..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge8pMg33bq4

https://sites.google.com/site/argslasers/builds/4-4w-445nm-dual-diode-laser

I wonder if I could make one of these…. All the directions are there. I’m sure my dad could make the metal parts for me.

Attachments

• norsat.jpg
    norsat.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
We "aim" to amuse. :up
Yes, that feedhorn & LNB have the adapter disc between 'em; you are good to go.
20 years ago I met an old machinist with a flair.
He built a custom machine to cut pipe.
It was computerized.
You fed it stock 20-22 foot lengths; it sliced 'n diced, put on any complex bevel, drilled any shape holes, and handled up to 6-8 inch diameter and any type and thickness.
It used a kilowatt industrial laser for cutting.
As I said, this was 20 years ago!
I believe aiming such a device into the sky will get you arrested by a whole bunch of federal agencies! ;)

We "aim" to amuse. :up
Yes, that feedhorn & LNB have the adapter disc between 'em; you are good to go.
20 years ago I met an old machinist with a flair.
He built a custom machine to cut pipe.
It was computerized.
You fed it stock 20-22 foot lengths; it sliced 'n diced, put on any complex bevel, and handled up to 6-8 inch diameter and any type and thickness.
It used a kilowatt industrial laser for cutting.
As I said, this was 20 years ago!

One time about 15 years ago my dad, mom and I were out on errands and Dad needed to stop by a machine shop to pick some stuff he was having them make for him.
They showed us around the shop (Zzzzzzzzzz) but I remember they showed us a giant laser cutter. It looked like the water cutter on American Chopper but was like 20 times bigger.
They had huge sheets of steel on it and like a giant ink jet plotter it was zipping around cutting stuff out. Sadly, there was no gee whiz light show, it was quite boring. There was a shroud around the laser that hid whatever it was doing. I guess to keep it from blinding people by accident. Off to the side there was a huge transformer thing to power it, it was the size of like 2 dumpsters and had power cords as big around as my leg going into it.
It cut so precise that they could cut things so close to one another that there was almost zero waste. And the cut was so fine that the part had to be knocked out, it wouldn’t just fall out as I would have thought.
That was pretty amazing but also rather unexciting. I guess the point wasn’t to entertain tourists but to make money.. :bored:

Well, after having read how that guy made that laser, um, nope….. :no
Waaaaaaaaaaaaay over my head.. :laser:

I guess I’ll just have to pay someone to cut it down the old school way… Sigh…..

That would make a great Satellite Guys T-shirt or bumper sticker!

Was thinking exactly the same thing. Even a small laser pointer is a no-no.

Actually there is very little air traffic in this area. There is a small Puddle Jumper that flies in/out once or twice a day, and occasionally small planes fly pipeline inspections. It’s pretty open around here so you hear them a long way off and they rarely come overhead here. It would be easy to avoid any problems, especially if the angle were right. But alas, no worries, it’s far beyond my abilities to make a laser that would do the job and I’ve looked at prices of laser that you can buy ready made and they are beyond my budget. But, it was fun to think about for oh, 30 minutes… :D

I talked to my dad about taking the trees down here because the number one reason is that I am afraid of a hurricane blowing an oak tree down on my house, that would be total destruction. It might survive the wind but a tree would do it in for sure. And they interfere with my dishes and harbor these filthy rodent vermin called squirrels. Oh, and they block my OTA antenna too.

my dad is going to have some people come here next week to bid on taking the oak trees down. I’m also going to ask them to take down that garbage Chinese Tallow tree that is in the way of 129 and is also actually laying on my power line and internet line. It has knocked my power line down twice in past hurricanes so it needs to go too. So I’m hoping to get three oaks taken out and that one pain in my butt tallow tree.

What really grinds my nerves is that birds eat seeds then sit on fences and poop them out. Trees sprout along the fences and lazy people never, ever keep them from growing. Then in a few years there’s a tree problem and it’s usually on the neighbors side of the fence so you can’t do anything about it. Well, this one tree is on their side of the fence but it’s a hazard to my power line so it has to go..

I wish I could get ALL the trees along the fences taken down, they are all a pain in my butt. There’s a guy on the other side that has a bunch of pecan trees that hang waaaaaay over into my yard and block me from seeing anything beyond 83w.
A few years ago I was able, during the winter only, to see through a small tunnel in his trees the Cuban satellite, 30w I think? But he makes zero effort to keep anything in his yard trimmed neatly and in the summer that tunnel greens up and closes. It’s useless to keep a dish aimed that way. I hate those pecan trees because they also harbor vermin squirrels and interfere with my dishes. They also hang over my dishes and pecan trees are weak and break easily in hurricanes. They could easily fall and destroy my dishes. They are far enough away from my house to not be a serious threat but my fence and dishes, yes.. I wish I could get those cut too, I legally can cut limbs that hang over my fence but I doubt my dad would spring for cutting them too, it would be a major undertaking to cut them. It’s not possible for the tree people to drive machines into my back yard so they will have to climb, cut and lower the limbs with ropes. The pecan trees, they would have to go into his yard and climb his trees.

I swear, if I ever get the chance to build my own house there will NOT be any trees within 100 yards of my house. 10 square acres ought to do it.

The only thing I would split would be 83w, RTV and PBJ between my MicroHD and my PC tuner. Both of those channels are on the same polarity so I wouldn’t think it would care if two tuners are tapping it at the same time. No?

I use a single output LNBF for RTV. It connects to one side of a 3x4 multiswitch. Since I only use the one polarity on 83w, the multiswitch gives me up to 4 connections to RTV, PBJ, and Tuff.

I use a single output LNBF for RTV. It connects to one side of a 3x4 multiswitch. Since I only use the one polarity on 83w, the multiswitch gives me up to 4 connections to RTV, PBJ, and Tuff.

That’s cool… That’s more or less what I want to do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts