Which HD Cinema Movies have you seen?Would you like to post your review of the movie?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Ok, we know that some folks don't like some of these movies and have never heard of some of them. I have seen a few which I will list later on but would like to start this thread to see if you can give us your opinion as to which Movies you saw and give us your review.

Here's the system we would use...

5 Stars Review Excellent
4 Stars Review Very Good
3 Stars Review Good
2 Stars Review Poor
1 Star Review Don't bother

I would like serious reviews with explanation as to why you like or dislike the movie. Everything from HD Transfer, to plot, etc. Doesn't have to be extensive but to the point and objective.

Okay, lets see what I can remember....

Mississippi Burning was a really good 4 star movie. Looked good, and Willem Dafoe was very good in it.

Diggstown was the same 3 star movie I remember. Looked way better than it did on cable a few years ago when I first saw it.

Europa, Europa (I hope thats right) was a big surprise. 4 star because of a not so dramatic ending, but I'm a ww2 fan, and the holocost theme had me hooked.

Gilda Live I'll only give a 2 star too. Surprisingly not as funny as I hoped it would be, given her SNL resume. Looked okay, it was stand up comedy in a high school gym so wasn't much too look at.

The Great Race was very funny. I'd give it a 4 star rating. I had heard of it's slapstick comedy, but didn't expect a movie that old to be that funny.

Okay, thats all I can think of off the top of my head that I've watched in it's entirety. I will say that I enjoy the cinema 10 channels. They show movies that I normally wouldn't rent or purchase (which is the same reason I have all the premium channels also). Being a movie buff, I don't mind giving something a shot; even if I've never heard of it.

The Music Man, I give it 5 stars but since Voom did not show it OAR, I'll knock it down to 4 stars on Voom (HDNET showed it in OAR and it was fabulous). I'd like to see Willy Wonka in HD OAR.

Oh God, I saw entirely. I would give 4 stars to this movie. A good comedy which I saw before but it was quite good to sit down and watch. HD transfer was very good.

Europa Europa, I agree I give 4 stars. I saw this movie first when it played on Epics. I saw it once more when it played in Cinema. This is a classic. HD Transfer was quite excellent.

Where Eagles Dare: War movie (my type of movie). This movie is long so I could not watch it in one sitting. I saw half of it first and then 4 days later I caught the last half of the movie. Quite an impressive HD transfer. You could see that the special effects of War movies at that time where not that great (especially when the soldier drops from the tower. You could see it was a dummy by the way it fell. I wonder whether you could see the same in the SD version). The plot was quite excellent and I was glad to see Clint Eastwood when he was young. I love his movies and would like to see his westerns movies in Cinema 10. I own most of the DVDs. 5 stars I will give this movie.

Land of Pharaohs: I am a nut for egyptian movies and bible story movies. I watched this one and did not like the ending but the story was interested (not the drama of the jealous mistress and her plans to kill the pharaoh) but the fact that pharaoh was very much involved in getting a resting place for the afterlife. In my college days, our history and art showed us how the egyptians were preocupied with the afterlife and who can deny the egnima of the piramids. How were they built? Who built them? I liked the movie. Would not recommend this one to watch. The HD transfer was not that great. It was shown in 16x9. This one would have benefited from OAR showing. I have to give a rating of two stars.

The Vanishing: :up 5 Stars. The story of a young couple. His girlfriend is kidnapped and killed by a guy who lives two entirely different lives. He kills because he considers it an art. I love this movie it show how sick a person can be. The kinapper explains how he came to the conclusion that events in live are random and that sometimes what is planned is not the best. This was, of course, all in his mind trying to rationalize why he would kill (sick). This is a must see. I will give 5 stars if it was shown in OAR but 4 for now. HD transfer was excellent.

Platoon: HD Transfer of this movie was excellent. I enjoyed this one so much. 4 stars.

The Terminator: I'll be back. 4 stars. Excellent transfer. Don't have to say much. I think most have seen this one.

I will post more that I have seen.

neither have i. i had high hopes for cinema10 when i first looked at voom. but after i found out what they show...i dont even surf them. heck i dont watch any exclusive channel for longer than a min.

Coup de Torchon: 5 stars

The Vanishing: 5 stars (This Dutch original is so much better than the lame American remake. Why does Hollywood keep doing this?)

A Clockwork Orange: 3 stars (This is a 5 star movie but I was very disapponted in the PQ on this one. It was very grainy. I remember it being a visual treat in the theaters.)

Harry In Your Pocket: 3 stars. Not great cinema, but Coburn is always a treat and the shot of Trish Van Devere's panties as she bends over on the up escalator is worth the 3 stars alone. Another plus is it's not available on DVD.

Night Moves: 3 stars. Gene Hackman as a PI. Of note for some nudity by a very young Melanie Griffith. Also not available on DVD.

The Leather Boys: 3 stars. A British oddity that I'd never heard of. It was one of the first movies on Divine and I was curious. An older friend of mine tells me it was a cult item back in the 60's and the poster of Rita Tushingham in a bouffant hairdo all dressed in biker leather was a popular poster in campus dorm rooms at the time.

The Great Race: 4 stars. I've loved this movie since I was a kid. Still very funny. It was the first time my wife had seen it and she loved it. Surprisingly good picture quality considering it's age.

I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting. I'll repost if I think of them. I also loved the original Dawn of the Dead (5 stars) on Monsters recently.

Don’t have time for detailed reviews, but here is my (personal and subjective) list of top five (5-star) movies on Cinema10:

A Clockwork Orange. A masterpiece by Stanley Kubrick. I agree with Odys that the transfer quality was not impressive, but still, I think it would be unjust to give this movie anything less than 5 stars!

O Lucky Man! Another excellent movie with Malcolm McDowell. This one by Lindsay Anderson. Must see!

Persona. This 1966 b/w movie is not for everyone, it’s too unusual and too strange. But for those who like Ingmar Bergman movies, this is a real treat.

The Sheltering Sky. Great movie by Bernardo Bertolucci and an excellent transfer too. Amazing panoramic shots. One of those movies that should be watched in HD only.

Solaris. This original movie is much better IMO than the recent Soderbergh’s version. It's Andrei Tarkovsky's answer to Kubrick's "2001." A very good (OAR) transfer. I think it was recently re-mastered.

Gorp *** Dennis Quaid in a comedy about pranks at summer camp. Kinda trying to copy Animal House. Young Fran Dresher (sp?) appearance.

SOB *** Martin Mull and Julie Andrews in a comedy. Martin Mull is suicidal because his movie is a flop. He rewrites it where Julie Andrews shows her breasts. Worth watching for that one scene.

Night Moves *** How young was Melanie Griffith in this movie. She looked about 16, but I think you have to be 18 for nudity.

Out Cold **** Terri Garr, Randy Quaid, and John Lithgow in a dark comedy about a murder. Randy Qaid plays a great role as a clueless detective. John Lithgow is not a psyco murderer in this one. He's a patsy that turns things around in the end.

Jimi Hendrix concert ** PQ was terrible but sound was good. Wonder why this wasn't on Rave?

Pinata *** This may have been on Monsters. Pretty dumb horror movie, but had great PQ and sound and some good CGI of the monster. Starring Jamie Pressley (yummy).

Innocent Blood * Horror movie about a skinny vampire chick. See her naked in the opening scene and then change the channel.

White Hunter Black Heart ** Clint Eastwood plays a director on location in Africa obsessed with hunting elephants. He didn't do a good job of playing that role.

Being Human * Robin Williams in 4 short stories that suck. Why are his dramatic movis so bad?

Looker *** Susan Dey (nude scene) in a Sci Fi about using CGI to create subliminal messages in comercials. I love 80s Sci Fi movies where they try to make futuristic technology that would be obsolete by today's standards.

I enjoyed "Life Stinks" last night. Mel Brooks has always been one of my fav's. I'd say 4 stars.

I also remember Mystic Pizza 3 stars. Decent 80's movie.

Thelma and Louise was good. First time I'd actually watched it all.

The only one I didn't care too much for that I watched was Innocent Blood. Being a horror nut, I watched it anyways.

I'm sure there's more that I can't remember.

Mississippi Burning 4.5 Stars

I've seen this movie a couple of times before and now on HD. The acting is supurb and the direction is very well done. HD transfer was good but the audio could use some improvement (specifically, center channel was kind of weak). Other than that, the only complain I had was the lack of OAR.

Dream Lover 4.0 Stars

I thoroughly enjoyed this film the first time I saw it and was pleased to watched again in HD. Very well written script. Warning: very disturbing, it may happen to any of us :D
HD transfer was excellent except no OAR.

Spellbinder 4.0 Stars

Never watched this movie before until now on Cinema10. At the beginning was a little skeptical and I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep watchig it, but after 15 minutes it turns out to be very interesting movie and the end was unexpected.
HD transfer was very good but again no OAR.

I've enjoyed several of them lately...

Thelma and Louise - 4.5 stars: It's a chic-flic, it's a action movie, it's funny, and it has LOADS of great actors. Great soundtrack, too. What more could you want?

Molly - 3 stars: The nude shot of Elizabeth Shue is worth 3 stars by itself. That tells you what I thought of the rest.

Spirit of St. Louis - 3.5 stars: I always like Jimmy Stewart. This was an intersting piece, almost like watching the history channel

Night of the Living Dead (1990) - 4 stars: Predictable, but enjoyable. Good transfer, too.

I've sampled several more, and the overall pq seems to be better than it was a month ago.

AUGUST - 4 STARS- This is one of Anthony Hopkins' finest screen performances in an English adaptation of Chekov's "Uncle Vanya." He also directed the film.

S.O.B. - 4 STARS - One of the funniest comedies ever made by Blake Edwards. An excellent performance by Richard Mulligan as the suicidal Hollywood Director; also features William Holden, Larry Hagman, Robert Vaughan,Robert Preston, Julie Andrews, Stuart Margolin and Byron Kane.

INNOCENT BLOOD - 3 STARS - A hilarious comedy about vampires in the mafia with Robert Logia and Anthony Lapaglia along with a large number of "Soprano" actors.

LIFE AND TIMES OF ROY BEAN - 3 STARS - One of Newman's best films. The yarn is interesting, funny and well spun by Director John Huston.

MOBY DICK - 3 STARS - If you've never read Moby Dick here's your chance to experience the story without having to wade through Melville's book. Gregory Peck stars with John Huston directing.

WHITE HUNTER, BLACK HEART - 3 STARS - An astonishing story of a Hollywood Director making a film in Africa but wanting to bag an elephant first. (Supposed to be a true story of guess who....John Huston)

HARPER - 2 1/2 STARS - Interesting detective story starring Paul Newman as P.I. Lew Harper taken from the McDonald pulp fiction detective series.

FAREWELL, MY LOVELY & THE BIG SLEEP - 3 STARS - Robert Mitchum in two of Raymond Chandler's finest detective stories as P.I. Philip Marlowe. (Note: For some reason they moved the setting of "The Big Sleep" to London.)

Manchurian Candidate -- 4 stars Frank Sinatra, Lawrence Harvey, and Angela Lansbury star in thriller about brainwashing and McCarthyism. Sinatra's acting is as poor as always, but Harvey and Lansbury are A+.

Towering Inferno -- 4.5 stars All-Star cast in excellent disaster movie. Paul Newman, William Holden, and Steve McQueen are great. Great example of aging actors still getting it done. Richard Chamberlain also appears, so potential for inclusion in DIVINE rotation is a possibility.

Harry in your Pocket: 3 stars. It was an entertaining movie; It was quite surprising how Harry and his partner talk about credit cards replacing cash money and how it was going to be bad for business. I did not like the ending and though that OAR would have given the movie better picture quality.

Gorp - - 1.5 starsJust not good. Watching everyone trying too hard to be funny and failing is embarrassing to watch.

Wild in the Streets - - 1.5 stars: Pretty bad, but has some camp value. All adults are sent to camps where they have to take LSD. It has that Scooby-Doo bad knockoff kind of 60s soundtrack. Winters does a good job in this one, but the rest of the actors stink. Watch for a young Richard Pryor.

Edit: I didn't know Platoon and Terminator had been shown on Cinema 10. I'll have to check them out.

In the Time of the Butterflies (2001, Drama) From a historical account of what happened to the three sisters that fought against the tyrant Trujillo this movie was quite good. I give it 3.5 stars. Transfers was very good and even though it was not a big hit in USA, it has some terrifying moments.

Live Flesh (1997, Drama) 4 stars. Excellent movie. I saw this on DVD and now seeing it in HD was fantastic. It has an intrigue twist of story. It is subtitled. Do not want to give away the movie but it was an excellent movie.

The Little Drummer Girl (1984, Mystery) 3.5 stars. I saw this back in 1985 and liked the movie. The transfer had some grainy scenes but overall it was decent. The movie was good too.

The Locusts (1997, Drama) 2.5 stars. This movie is one of those movies that keep you wondering what is the story line all about and you know it's not sucha a good movie but you keep watching it. The story of a mother who was totally attached to a disabled child. Another man comes to their lives and kind of shake up things around. HD transfers was very good.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels 4.5 a must see. One that will make you laugh all the way through the roof. I think this has to be one of the best comedies around.

The Woman in Red 4 stars. Good comedy and good transfer. I think this one most people have seen.

Easy Money (1983, Comedy) 2.5 the movie was good but the transfer was not. There were a few problems with the transfer. It looked like the original movie was not kept that well.

The Usual Suspects 4 stars. Very good transfer and excellent movie.

The Ballad of Cable Hogue 2.5 stars. Here's another movie that I couldn't get away from the TV yet it was not that great! HD transfer was excellent but it would have been better OAR.

Lassie Come Home (1943, Drama) 1 star. Has to be the worst HD transfer I have ever seen and worst movie.

Clean and Sober (1988, Drama) 3.5 stas M. Keaton was excellent in this movie. The transfer was quite good.

Others I have seen but need to write something about them:

The Man With Two Brains (1983, Comedy) 3.5 star. This movie was hilarious. It made it fun to watch. I love Steve Martin and this one was the first time I saw this movie. The HD trasnfer was very good.

South Central (1992, Drama) 3 stars. This is a movie about gang related. It was both on HDnet and Cinema 10 non-oar. The transfer was very good and the movie was very good as this father is trying to teach his only a lesson about character and being a man.

Innocent Blood 4 stars. Loved this movie. Beside being a horror movie, it was also a very funny movie. A little grainy at the beginning but overall I thought it was an excellent transfer. You'll love to see the blood spilling all over the place.

Species II 3.5 stars. very good transfer and movie was fine. I have seen it many times (SD version) but seeing it in HD was quite good.

Star 80 (1983, Bio) 3 stars. I saw this movie a long time ago. The HD version was quite grainy. The movie itself was ok but not my type of movie. I expected more nudity but there was not much.

Just between Friends 3 stars. Funny and tragic movie of a family doctor who is unfaifthful to his wife and later on finds out that his mistress has accidentally made friends with his wife. He tragically dies and the mistress and wife become very good friends. Very grainy HD transfer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)