Which HD FTA reciever do you prefer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BH2K

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
GA
Im going to sell this DSR922+HDD200 setup that I got in this lot of decommisioned equipment and use the funds to get a FTA box, Im looking for a HD FTA setup. The PanSat 9200HD w/8PSK, the ViewSat MAXHD with 8PSK, and the SV H8000 with 8PSK. Im asuming these are the latest recievers. I hear that the HD function is never built in for legal reasons? Is this correct?

Is there somthing im missing or should take a look at? Which one is preferred in your opinion? reliability? Viewing quality, features?

I like the Coolsat 8100HD. It has builtin DVB-S2 8PSK that works with the LPB & Florida muxes. I think a few people tried the Viewsat Max and didn't like it. The Pansat doesn't come with a DVB-S2 board and most of the ones you find bundled are hacker boards apparently. If I remember correctly it can blind scan DVB-S (the Coolsat 8100HD can't blindscan anything), but might have an issue with software support / features on DVB-S2.

My favorite HD receiver is my Qualitv receiver. For it's 4:2:2 capability, but I watch my Pansat 9200 HD receiver more often. It has the S2:8psk and a Terrestrial Tuner and will Blind Scan on regular DVB-S channels. The Qualitv doesn't Blind Scan anything, nor does it have a Terrestrial Tuner. However, the Qualitv is still my favorite Receiver.

Unfortunately, the Quali doesn't support MPEG-4 or DVB-S2. These formats are growing rapidly since they make better use of the spectrum. More channels can be placed in the available space.

The business model and architecture of the Korean products (Coolsat, Viewsat, Pansat, etc) is geared toward pirating Dish Network and BEV programming. They don't support 4:2:2 video and probably won't unless Dish or Bev move in that direction.

Most of the newer HD services seem to be adopting H264 (MPEG-4) DVB-S2 format with 4:2:2 video. There's a big hole in the marketplace for this type of equipment. Right now, the only economical solution seems to be a PCI receiver card with software decoding.

Whats a good FTA PCI card? That does scanning, and does HD, mpeg 2 and 4? DVB-S2?

closest things to that are
Coolsat 8000/8100...MPEG2/4/DVB-S2/HD but no blind scan
Pansat 9200...MPEG2/4/HD/blind scan...DVB-S2 needs an external card and cant scan DVB-S2

Unfortunately, the Quali doesn't support MPEG-4 or DVB-S2. These formats are growing rapidly since they make better use of the spectrum. More channels can be placed in the available space.

that is what the Coolsat 8000 is for ;)

What about a Sonicview 8000HD? I heard it was pretty stable. Does it scan? or is the pansat 9200HD better?

PCI receiver card with software decoding.

So whats the best PCI card for receiving HD via Cband?

I just called skyvision, they said the only thing in HD on 4dtv is discovery which is $7 and some movie packages, I dont think thats worth keeping the 922 for since i dont watch movies.

What about a Sonicview 8000HD? I heard it was pretty stable. Does it scan? or is the pansat 9200HD better?

I have one. It does blind scan, and it will do MPEG-4 if you get the add on card for it. I'm currently using it for C and KU bands and it works really good for both.Can't get any analog C band with it though, but there are not very many of those left.

The satellite setting are somewhat outdated on a lot of the FTA satellites. However since it has the front USB port you can just download your channel and satellite informaion and edit it on Channel Master.

Things I like about this receiver:
1. Bllind scan
2. Tells you the resolution of programming on info screen
3. Channel search feature, great if you can't remember a channel number but do rember the name
4. Fairly easy to get going if you're familar with FTA equipment
5. Front USB port for easy channel back up/editing
6. Able to control motorized dish using DiseQc commands

Problems I've had:
1. Touchy remote, lots of double registers when you only meant to hit once
2. When receiver is turned off it randomly moves motorized dish to various satellites for no apparent reason (no timers turned on)
3. The PVR function (requires a external HDD) is more like a VCR, so you can set it to record something but not rewind live tv. Also splits large recordings into multiple files and doesn't always name things like you tell it to.
4. Outdated satellite listings from factory. They can be updated by downloading channel info and editing in Channel Master, but it can be time consuming depending on the number of sats you need to correct.

So whats the best PCI card for receiving HD via Cband?

I started compiling a spread sheet on HD cards and stand alone HD receivers. These are the cards that I've found:

Conexant CX-80-000046-00
DVB World DVB-S2 PCI-E
TBS PCI DVB-S2
TechnoTrend S2-3200
Twinhan AD-SP400 CI
Hauppauge WinTV Nova-HD-S2

I believe that there is a separate thread on PCI cards in this forum.

I just called skyvision, they said the only thing in HD on 4dtv is discovery which is $7 and some movie packages, I dont think thats worth keeping the 922 for since i dont watch movies.

Looking through the list at (hxxp://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistCBandUS.html) I found these FTA HD services on C Band:

ABC HD NET-21
NBC-TV HD
MY NETWORK TV-East HD
KENNEDY SPACE CENTER - HD
ION TV - East HD
QVC HOME SHOPPING-HD
TBN-TRINITY BROADCASTING HD

There's more showing up every day.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)