Which HD Receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fistfullofbeer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
I currently have a HR-22 in my living room and a standard receiver (not sure of model #) in my bedroom. Both of those receivers are leased.

I am interested in running a DTV line to my basement (man cave?) so that I can watch tv while working on the PC. I do not have a line running to the basement yet.

2 questions:

1. How much do you expect the install of running a line to the basement costs?
2. I would prefer buying and leasing a receiver as I am tired of paying the lease fees on a monthly basis. Do you guys have any tips on what HD receiver (non-DVR) I should buy and from where could I buy one (only one I am aware of is ebay)?

Help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Whether you buy it or lease it, you'll pay the $7.00 fee to watch TV on that receiver. No other way around it.

Oh really? Darn. I was of the impression that If I bought it I would not need to pay the 'lease' fee as they put it in my bill.

In that case is there really a point in buying it outright as opposed to leasing it? I mean outside of the contract that you tag along with the leasing. At least with leasing, it will be covered in the replacement plan.

There's really no advantage at all to buying other than you won't get reamed if you tamper with it. You can't buy any of the new equipment anyway - it's only available through lease, so if you see a recent one for sale that claims not to be a lease, its stolen and you won't be able to activate it anyway. (fyi, when you pay $100 or $200 through a legit retailer for a box, it is still leased - and it will say that).

Basically what is now the 'lease fee' used to be the 'mirroring fee' that they charged for cloning your cards. You pay it no matter what (but it's $6, not $7).

Ah thanks.

Well there goes that theory then. Guess I will have to call Directv and see if what they can offer me a new HD Receiver for. Guess it will be $100 but what really stinks is the $6/month fee.

There's really no advantage at all to buying other than you won't get reamed if you tamper with it. You can't buy any of the new equipment anyway - it's only available through lease, so if you see a recent one for sale that claims not to be a lease, its stolen and you won't be able to activate it anyway. (fyi, when you pay $100 or $200 through a legit retailer for a box, it is still leased - and it will say that).

Basically what is now the 'lease fee' used to be the 'mirroring fee' that they charged for cloning your cards. You pay it no matter what (but it's $6, not $7).

Not entirely true. Although most equipment is now leased, there are some owned boxes out there, but not many.

Aside from equipment purchased before they went all-lease (none of which would be 'recent'), seeing as how they refuse to sell any of the new equipment, I don't see how anyone could have legitimately purchased something like an H24 and have it be theirs to sell.. Cablevision (and I suspect most other cable companies) do the same thing.. There is no way to BUY a receiver that works on their service from them, so nobody can legitimately OWN a box, therefore any box you find for sale is stolen.

Some of the owned boxes come from Directv employees. Some are replacement boxes of previously owned units.

Thanks for the advice guys.

So when I call DTV for the H24 HD receiver do I need to 'negotiate' a price or is it going to be a flat $99?

Depending on previous discounts, payment history, and other factors, it may be free. Most likely it will be $99. Good luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.