Which HD reciever should I get?

pabasap

Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
I am considering getting a cheap satellite/ASTC reciever off ebay. I do not necessarily need DVR or satellite tv, but I just want to recieve ota signal that will upconvert to 1080i and work with my Mits 65315 1080i HDRPTV.
Any suggestions or cautions?

See my experiences with a Voom box in this thread,

Voom OTA

The PQ is awesome, totally unbelievable in comparison to SD from my Dish Network receiver on my 94" screen. However, I cannot get one channel to lock in for me and it is driving me crazy!

Most people seem to be able to get the Voom box to work for them. So long as it was activated, has a card, can scan for channels (latish firm ware), and has the module for OTA. You also really need the remote.

Without being brand specific for an over the air hdtv set top box make sure it has dvi or hdmi with hdcp out even if your not going to use it. then shop for the cheapest price.

After doing some searching anyone buying up them accurian hts 6000 ota hdtv receivers seems to be getting a good buy i found the internal pictures of that ota hdtv receiver it dose say digital stream with accurian as a model in it and says it has a 4th generation 8-vsb demodulator (marked on the circuit board brand not mentioned) with hdmi out. this is confusing the digital stream branded ota hdtv stb receiver dosnt have dvi or hdmi out, but internally they are almost the same. another atsc receiver <cheap> this one with dvi out is the sylvania (funai) 6900dte at wal-marts sams wholesale club showing online for 179.44. i dont know if either of these receivers are any good i still like the general instrument type equipment. :)

I got one of those Accurians last week :D My Samsung T451 took a lightning strike :mad: putting it out of commision.

One thing I love most about it is that you can see your signal strength in one menu rather than going thru three on the Samsung.

The remote is very weak, but a decent universal remote can take care of this. You can't beat it for the price. :) ;) :D

Attachments

• IM000674.JPG
    IM000674.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 288
Also, the Accurian will not receive WFLX-DT in South Florida. This is a well known problem with many owners of the Accurian in South Florida. If you own a Accurian receiver, I would like to hear from you.

Can you receive your local Fox station?

If you can, please give me the call letters of that Fox station.

Also, the remote control does not work very well, but reports say that if you leave the front door of the receiver open, the remote will work much better.

I hope to hear from other Accurian owners.

Joe

I live in Coral Springs and I am able to pick up WFLX and WSVN both fox channels, as well as many other channels. I have just temporarily set up antenna on Plant holder (4x4) and so far everythings ok. There is no HDTV shows at this time, I will give you a report on how HDTV programs look tonight. Feel free to contact me.

Mike

HD-OTA...via accurian from RS

Picked up a demo the mgr had in the back...stopped by Big Lots otwh and got a $10 amplified/a.c. powered antenna (say "Digital HDTV ready" on the box) and all the networks are coming into West Palm great (gen. 70+ on the meter)...and am watching the yanks/angels game on FLX (Fox/29) with no dropouts.

After tweaking my Toshi 46h84, the picture on all the networks as good as on Adelphia...plus I get PBS and Fox/Tube not avail. on cable.

When my free Adelphia premium deal ($120/mo/3months for all the HD and all the premium channels and broadband internet...AND less one free month for taking 4 trips to the house to get it all on right) dies next month I can now drop HD until they come up with another offer I can't refuse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts