Which is Problem - LNB, Multiswitch, or Tuner?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

smays

Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
Looks like the hail/lightning storms we had in the Atlanta area two nights ago has caused a problem.

System:
Oval dish (3-LNB)
Zinwell 4x8 Multiswitch
HTL-HD Tuner
4 Sony SAT-B3 Tuners

Problem:
All odd transponders show '0' signal strength on all 3 sat's during signal strength test for the HTL-HD tuner. All even transponders are fine (90+) on the same tuner. All of the Sony tuners are fine on both odd and even transponders during signal strength test. HTL-HD has issues 'searching for satellite signal' on some channels, none of the Sony tuners have that issue (go figure). Not only that, but I get an odd SD channel when I tune into HBO-HD and a different SD channel when I tune into SHO-HD on the HTL-HD.

* Tried resetting the HTL-HD (no luck)
* Tried moving HTL-HD line to a different port on the multiswitch (no luck)

So which is it? LNB, Multiswitch, or HTL-HD tuner?

:confused:

I may have mis-read, but did you move any one of the working Sony receivers to the Hughes line? Does it still work correctly? If so, signs point to the Hughes receiver; if not, it points to the specific outlet, or whatever provides signal directly to that outlet. Can you test your Hughes receiver at another location to remove it from your setup and see if it works then?

If you are on a channel that's supposed to be displaying one thing (and the banner confirms this) and it's really showing a different channel, then I would say it's the multiswitch, especially since it's happening on HD channels. It seems to be that the multiswitch can't "find" the 110 satellite (for HD) so it's sending a 101 transponder signal in place of it. For example, if you're on HBO HD, and the banner confirms it's HBO HD (name of movie, time, info, etc.) but instead you're getting HGTV or TNT or something off of the 101, then I'd say it's the multiswitch.

charper1,
Yes, I moved one of the working Sony tuners to the Hughes line and it worked fine (all transponders also displayed normal signal levels).

Beavis,
I originally thought it was the multiswitch. But after verifying that all other tuners have no issues and the fact that one of the other tuners worked fine on the Hughes line, I'm thinking it is the Hughes tuner now.

Either way, DirecTV is sending out a replacement unit.

Thanks for the help, folks!

Did D* have you move the Hughes tuner to another line to double confirm? It sounds like it wasn't needed if they did. I hope you got D* to send you out a new unit, not a refurb. If it's under a year old, you should have gotten a new one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)