Which KU band system do you recommend?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

xoibsurferx

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Monroe, NC
I recently picked up a 7.5ft sami dish but won't be able to install it due to my hoa. We rent (landlord was cool with dish being put up as long as I could take it down when we move) but the hoa isn't so cool with a 7.5ft dish. They said by law I'm allowed a 1.2 meter dish or smaller.

I still want to get into fta tv and will be storing the 7.5ft sami for when we buy a home but for now I'm looking into the smaller ku band 90cm systems.

Which kit would you recommend? Stationary or motorized? This stationary kit looks very promising (http://satelliteav.com/shop/?ws_pid=1611&ws_cat=413) but I'm leaning towards a motorized system so I can quickly switch between satellites.

I would start with that kit, and add a motor. ;)

That's a real bummer with the Sami, but good that you're saving it for future use! Darn HOA'S! I second Ke4est's suggestions for the Ku system, that will be a good system.

Don't be tempted to get a smaller dish than 90 cm [36''] for less money, the performance lost is not worth the money saved. There's 76'' cm dishes that you can buy for as low as $40, but it's definitely worth spending the little bit more and getting a 90 cm. Smaller than that and you'll have a hard time with some channels.

On the motor, I'd stay away from the SG2100's, they are rather problematic. I have one here that was new a year or so ago and it's been trouble right from day one. This summer, I'm planning on replacing it with a DG380, which I hope is better.

I'm not really sure on what Ku dish motors are good, but I'm sure other people that do know will chime in and offer help on that. :)

I'm happy with the Stab 90 HH motor. Its been working well for the past 5 years. Depending on the size of dish you may have to upgrade to a larger motor.

I'm happy with the Stab 90 HH motor. Its been working well for the past 5 years. Depending on the size of dish you may have to upgrade to a larger motor.

Agreed, the Stab motors are the best I have had, and the HH90 would be perfect with that dish in the kit above.

Yes, the Stab HH90 and HH120 are highly recommended. I have been using the DG380 on my GeoSatPro 90cm dish for a few years now, with no problems, so it is a good motor also in my opinion.

I have a 36" dish, and a viewsat hd reciever. some people say get rid of the viewsat becuz, I would need a dongle to run it. I was wondering, what's a perfect hd receiver, and lnb to get out there, or what setup would be highly recommended? in South Florida

I think you're right.
I have a 36" dish, and a viewsat hd reciever
What LNBF? FTA requires a linear (horizontal/vertical) with 10750 L.O. Or a Universal linear.
I would need a dongle to run it.
That's only true if you're interested in stealing(programming). Sorry, there's no help here. Only with true FTA.
"viewsat hd" ? Think that's only capable of DVB-S(but could be wrong) so about the only satellite it would be useful for is 97W (G19). There are some more, but not many, as they are rapidly adopting DVB-S2.
what's a perfect hd receiver
AFAIK - there isn't one. But this comes as close as possible today. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEOSATpro-m...US_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item1c304e40e7
Everything needed is included. {Or just the receiver?)
Add a motor, later, to easily 'go to ' other satellites.
Some other receivers, my 'list' #5

Welcome to SatGuys, Bigc2475!

What's the model # of your Viewsat receiver? With the model #, we can tell you for sure what it can and can't receive. I think like Fat-Air said, your Viewsat would receive only DVB-S and you need a receiver that can receive DVB-S2 or you'll miss out on a lot of stations.

For the LNB, I have a Avenger PLL322-S2 LNB on my Ku dish and it works real well. This one from Titanium Satellite also has very good reviews, for only $17 :http://www.titaniumsatellite.com/products#!/~/product/category=6743545&id=26947783

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)