Which markets?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TigerpounceTN

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Knoxville, TN
I am in Knoxville, TN and I'm thinking about buying an AM21 for my locals and "moving." I am looking at the 103(s) satellite and I get some very high readings on quite a few transponders.

103(s):
Transponders 1-8: 0
Transponder 15: 95
Transponder 16: 95
Transponder 17: 62
Transponder 18: 75
Transponder 19: 95
Transponder 20: 95
Transponder 21: 83
Transponder 22: 56
Transponder 23: 95
Transponder 24: 95

It should be noted that my locals are supposed to be on transponders 15 and 24. I have a good guess that transponders 16 and 20 are for Atlanta, but I can't figure out what the other markets are. My guesses of Charlotte, Chattanooga, Lexington, Nashville and Tri Cities are all supposed to be on 99(s). Am I getting false positive readings or is there something there that I'm not thinking about (like D12 now carrying some of these and the transponders are different from the list I found dated 6-23-2010 at that other forum...)? It would also appear that 23 is for Asheville, NC.

For the record:
99(s):
Transponder 1: 0
Transponder 2: 88
Transponder 3: 11
Transponder 4: 42
Transponder 5: 4
Transponder 6: 85

Transponder 15: 0
Transponder 16: 79
Transponder 17: 72
Transponder 18: 66
Transponder 19: 77
Transponder 20: 82
Transponder 21: 63
Transponder 22: 67
Transponder 23: 0
Transponder 24: 0

Those should be Chattanooga at 2, Tri Cities at 6, Nashville at 17 and 18, and Charlotte at 19 and 20, but I could be wrong. Between these two satellites it seems I should have a chance at a few markets, but the 99(s) readings are probably iffy for a full time "move." Of course I probably won't even do it. I'm just curious.

I am in Knoxville, TN and I'm thinking about buying an AM21 for my locals and "moving." I am looking at the 103(s) satellite and I get some very high readings on quite a few transponders.

103(s):
Transponders 1-8: 0
Transponder 15: 95
Transponder 16: 95
Transponder 17: 62
Transponder 18: 75
Transponder 19: 95
Transponder 20: 95
Transponder 21: 83
Transponder 22: 56
Transponder 23: 95
Transponder 24: 95

It should be noted that my locals are supposed to be on transponders 15 and 24. I have a good guess that transponders 16 and 20 are for Atlanta, but I can't figure out what the other markets are. My guesses of Charlotte, Chattanooga, Lexington, Nashville and Tri Cities are all supposed to be on 99(s). Am I getting false positive readings or is there something there that I'm not thinking about (like D12 now carrying some of these and the transponders are different from the list I found dated 6-23-2010 at that other forum...)? It would also appear that 23 is for Asheville, NC.

For the record:
99(s):
Transponder 1: 0
Transponder 2: 88
Transponder 3: 11
Transponder 4: 42
Transponder 5: 4
Transponder 6: 85

Transponder 15: 0
Transponder 16: 79
Transponder 17: 72
Transponder 18: 66
Transponder 19: 77
Transponder 20: 82
Transponder 21: 63
Transponder 22: 67
Transponder 23: 0
Transponder 24: 0

Those should be Chattanooga at 2, Tri Cities at 6, Nashville at 17 and 18, and Charlotte at 19 and 20, but I could be wrong. Between these two satellites it seems I should have a chance at a few markets, but the 99(s) readings are probably iffy for a full time "move." Of course I probably won't even do it. I'm just curious.

You'll only get ONE set of locals regardless of where you move, unless it's a market that normally gets more than one.

you only get one set of locals. There are some areas where D* might offer a SV local or two but they are rare

you only get one set of locals. There are some areas where D* might offer a SV local or two but they are rare

I am aware that through the satellite I would only get the one set of locals, but do you mean the OTA tuner is locked to the market it is supposed to be in? I am basically wanting to choose a different market, preferably the strongest set with programming I want, to get from the satellites and then use OTA for my actual locals. Sorry for the confusion.

you can do that. That is what I've done for years (and just redid with D* this week)

"moved" to my old area (Duluth MN) and use OTA for Minneapolis (where I live)

you can do that. That is what I've done for years (and just redid with D* this week)

"moved" to my old area (Duluth MN) and use OTA for Minneapolis (where I live)

So if I were to "move" to Atlanta to get the Braves games on Peachtree TV in HD, the AM21 tuner would allow me to scan for Knoxville channels? I'm just trying to cover my bases before acting if I decide to do it. I seem to remember that you used to have E*. Is the process of moving any different with D* or pretty much the same?

OK. I was wondering because I thought DirecTV used a preprogrammed list of channels and their frequencies for OTA instead of actual scanning.

The AM21 is an OTA tuner and will scan any and all available channels that you can pick up

The sat channels has no bearing on this.

I have an old H10 receiver that has no subscription but works great as a OTA tuner so the only channels it gets from the sat are 100,200,201...I scan my locals in via the reciever

according to the chart I show, no there are no cities near it

on 103 Tp20 the "nearest" city that is on that TP besides Atl is Chicago

The AM21 is an OTA tuner and will scan any and all available channels that you can pick up

Just to add some clarification to this, there is no "scan" function when using the AM21 --in the "Antenna Setup" menu of the receiver, you input the zip code for the area you want -- the receiver then queries the D* database and loads in the OTA channels that should be available. Of course, as you said, it has no effect on satellite-delivered locals.

And I did it. I "moved" to Cleburne County, Alabama. That area gets the Atlanta DMA plus two Birmingham stations and it is also in the Nashville Predators hockey market. I'm satisfied enough that I don't have to watch Knoxville's awful CBS station if I don't want to. Everything went very smoothly. Of course, I am aware that it is unethical and all of that jive. ;)

I'm satisfied enough that I don't have to watch Knoxville's awful CBS station if I don't want to.

I hear ya on that one. I can't stand my local CBS affiliate. Their audio is so compressed it sounds like AM radio from the 1970s! There is no such thing as "background" or ambient sound, as it all gets sucked up to 100% -- then all the peaks get pulled down -- my ears as popping out of my head! When I used to get CBS HD DNS from L.A., the difference was beyond words -- the L.A. station sounded *fantastic*. Unfortunately, that eventually was shut off so now I am stuck with this crud.

And I did it. I "moved" to Cleburne County, Alabama. That area gets the Atlanta DMA plus two Birmingham stations and it is also in the Nashville Predators hockey market. I'm satisfied enough that I don't have to watch Knoxville's awful CBS station if I don't want to. Everything went very smoothly. Of course, I am aware that it is unethical and all of that jive. ;)

If you need service, don't forget yo have it sent to the correct location now.
They may question you, maybe not.

Just to add some clarification to this, there is no "scan" function when using the AM21 --in the "Antenna Setup" menu of the receiver, you input the zip code for the area you want -- the receiver then queries the D* database and loads in the OTA channels that should be available. Of course, as you said, it has no effect on satellite-delivered locals.

oh ok...interesting. So what happens if you have a station that is outside of your local DMA yet you can get it OTA? Is there a way to load the extra channels?

oh ok...interesting. So what happens if you have a station that is outside of your local DMA yet you can get it OTA? Is there a way to load the extra channels?

Sure enough ... the D* receivers allow you to load the OTA channels from TWO DMAs -- they call it a "secondary local market." Now if you need more than that, you're hosed.

I would really prefer a "scan" mode, as we are otherwise reliant on D* to get the OTA lineup correct. Whenever there is a change, such as station adding or subtracting a subchannel, it usually takes several days for the guide to reflect it. This was a real problem a year ago when analog went away and many stations changed frequencies -- for the most part D* was on top of it, but there were a number of people who lost stations for quite awhile until it was sorted out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)