Which motor for the Winegard 1m dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

global0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
37N, 121W
I would like to add a motor to my second dish which is a Winegard 1m: http://www.winegard.com/home/1m.htm. I do have a 76cm Winegard and that one is already motorized using a SG2100. I don't have a problem with it and it works fine, but the 1m dish is at 22lbs which puts the SG2100 close to its max weight limit. What does everybody think about a HH120? Or any other suggestion for that matter? Thanks in advance!

Well, if you look at the specs for the SG2100, it says that it handles the dish. But, my years of doing design and calculations in various disciplines tells me "never put a device near its maximum specced range or you are waiting for Mr Murphy's smile ;)". Again, that's my humble .02.

Last edited:
True. Now add to that the size of the dish and how much of a momentum it will generate in a 20mph wind, in a 40, 60, you get the picture. I am not always home to rotate it and turn it away, so I need to make sure that it handles all the expected loads. we had almost a 40-50mph wind here last night and it was even worse a couple of months ago.

Last edited:
Das Hammer said:
The HH120 will easily handle it. The max dish weight it can take is 17kg which is around 35 pounds.

The Stab's mount opposite of how a sg2100 mounts. Check out my Primestar dish mounted to an HH100 in this pic.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y260/dashammer/peckstar.jpg

"Das Hammer", please excuse my ignorance, but what size of the dish is that and how much does it weigh? I am just trying to get a rough idea. Thanks!

I think it's a 40" x 30". Don't know about the weight, but it seems pretty light. The mounting assembly and the feedhorn support arm is pretty heavy duty though. I would hazard to guess that 33% of the total weight is the mounting assembly and feedhorn arm/assembly.

****This is only my opinion****
I was always wary of the SG2100's because you always see a long list of replacement parts available to purchase. Just my opinion though.
****This is only my opinion****

global0 said:
True. Now add to that the size of the dish and how much of a momentum it will generate in a 20mph wind, in a 40, 60, you get the picture. I am not always home to rotate it and turn it away, so I need to make sure that it handles all the expected loads. we had almost a 40-50mph wind here last night and it was even worse a couple of months ago.

No momentum at all, these motors have a worm gear type configuration, it is a slow controlled process to move the dish. As for weight, I remember a previous post awhile back where someone said they could move a 1.2m wineguard with an sg2100. I disagreed then, and do now. I think the weight restriction on an SG2100 is 27lbs . The 1.2m wineguard (old style made of composite plastic) comes in at approx 35lbs or something like that (18kgs). Like a previous post....don't go to the limit as most manufacturers tend to fudge abit when it comes down to performance. Go with whatever Sadoun recommends (a trusted and knowledgable seller).

I have been doing some weighing with the bathroom scales. My 40" x 30"Primestar dish weighes about 8.5 - 9 lbs.(without the mounting bracket). I have a 1 meter Primestar dish that weighes 15.5 lbs ( without mounting bracket). I have also been trying to decide which dish to use with which motor. The recent threads about how much farther you can turn a SG2100 will probably make the decision for me. Mike

sharris said:
No momentum at all, these motors have a worm gear type configuration, it is a slow controlled process to move the dish. As for weight, I remember a previous post awhile back where someone said they could move a 1.2m wineguard with an sg2100. I disagreed then, and do now. I think the weight restriction on an SG2100 is 27lbs . The 1.2m wineguard (old style made of composite plastic) comes in at approx 35lbs or something like that (18kgs). Like a previous post....don't go to the limit as most manufacturers tend to fudge abit when it comes down to performance. Go with whatever Sadoun recommends (a trusted and knowledgable seller).

I am not sure if I am following you here. What I am concerned about is the momentum created by the dish caught in the wind trying to rotate it around its vertical axis. This force has to be absorbed by the motor and if it exceeds what the motor is desgined for, it will damage the motor and throw it off such that it will not be able to go to a desired location or track the arc.

I agree with rest of your comments. I'd like to have a motor that can handle something like twice of what the dish weights. Preferably more. the WG 1m dish is a good 10Kg +. That's why I am concerend on putting it on the SG2100.

I"ve been running the Winegard 1 m on my SG-2100 for quite a while. it works fine. Don't worry about load, We get some heavy winds here and its handled it ok for the last two winters. There is no comparison between the stabs and sg-2100 when it comes to performance per dollar spent. Check out the rotation times of the sg-2100 and the stabs on their respective web sites, its not even close.

starman345 said:
.... There is no comparison between the stabs and sg-2100 when it comes to performance per dollar spent. Check out the rotation times of the sg-2100 and the stabs on their respective web sites, its not even close.

Are you referring to:

GS2100: Rotation Speed 1.9° / sec ( at 13V) ; 2.5 °/ sec ( at 18V)
STAB HH120: Rotation speed 0,7°/s(18V);0,4°/s(13V)

Otherwise, I am not sure what you mean by performance and rotation time?

When you select a motor you want to also look at the Positioning Sensor resolution. The lower the number the better when you are trying to nudge the dish to fine tune the signal.

Sadoun said:
The HH120 will be the best fit for this dish.

Good luck to you and enjoy your future motorized setup.

Great, I just placed the order on your site.

Sadoun said:
When you select a motor you want to also look at the Positioning Sensor resolution. The lower the number the better when you are trying to nudge the dish to fine tune the signal..
I understand your comment and agree with it, but looking at the specs for the HH-120, I can't seem to find that metric. Here is where I am getting my data: http://www.stab-italia.com/inglese/rotorsat_eng/rotorsat_eng_hh120.html

Last edited:
global0 said:
I would like to add a motor to my second dish which is a Winegard 1m: http://www.winegard.com/home/1m.htm. I do have a 76cm Winegard and that one is already motorized using a SG2100. I don't have a problem with it and it works fine, but the 1m dish is at 22lbs which puts the SG2100 close to its max weight limit. What does everybody think about a HH120? Or any other suggestion for that matter? Thanks in advance!

I am running a Stab HH100 & a Microyal H2H ( which looks like a SG2100 ) . I bought the Stab on EBay for a pretty decent price . " Retail " price on a Stab is kind of $$$ . :-(

The Stab looks to be better made .

As far as weight , I have the Stab HH100 driving a 90 cm Ku steel offset dish . No problem . When I had this dish / motor set up dor a C Band mini bud , the extra weigt was a problem if I let the dish go too far east or west . Could not move it back to center . Had to go " help " it .

Wind has not seemed to bother it .

I agree , if you can , oversize the motor somewhat . The HH120 is suspose to be for a 1.2 meter dish .

Wyr

Last edited:
As far as weight , I have the Stab HH100 driving a 90 cm Ku steel offset dish . No problem . When I had this dish / motor set up dor a C Band mini bud , the extra weigt was a problem if I let the dish go too far east or west . Could not move it back to center . Had to go " help " it .

Wind has not seemed to bother it .

I agree , if you can , oversize the motor somewhat . The HH120 is suspose to be for a 1.2 meter dish .

Wyr[/QUOTE]

I tried a HH100 on my Winegard 1 meter a few months ago, I thought it must have been a defective motor, it exhibited the same symtoms, had to help it get off the horizon. The Kusat guy(where I bought it) said it would work with dishes up to 1 meter. After reading your post I wonder if it just didn't have enough power. I have the quad Invacom hanging out there on the arm which probably didn't help the situation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)