Which new receiver with specific features?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Question about those Linux receivers... Do any of them have a spectrum analyzer app? And how are they with less common signals such as 16apsk, ACM, slow bitrates, etc?
Been using E2 OS STBs for several years. My current model for the past year is the VU+ Zero 4k running OpenATV. Chose this as it was one of the few and first to provide 4K and blindscan. Probably will purchase the new Edison Mio in the next few months as it is reported that Blindscan speeds and tuner sensitivity are excellent.

With the VU+ Zero 4K, 16apsk, ACM, low bitrate, high FEC are not a problem. Plays the usual problematic channels just fine when the Novatek and ALI chipsets don't lock or stutter. Receives the PBS (SR 740) and ACM audio feeds.

The E2 OS learning curve is steep and I only have recommended them in past posts for advanced hobbyists as there are so many parameters that are user settings. Since there are so many options, I hesitated to recommend E2 OS for newbies or appliance users as it requires initial user settings, choice of E2 OS fork and file management configurations.

Several years ago I loaded a plug-in for spectrum scanning on one of the OS distributions. Don't remember which distribution. Since hardware blindscan was only supported by a few hardware models, not much development had been done on these type of advanced tools. I believe that with the new hardware versions supporting hardware blindscan, more advanced functions will be developed.

The great thing about E2 OS is that you have many distributions and plug-ins to choose from. You could also join in the open source development teams to create or refine functions. I recall a few years ago a team developed support for the T2 USB tuners to be used as SDR. Other teams have developed support for the ATSC USB tuners.

If you are ready to get more advanced with the hobby, the timing couldn't be better. Great E2 OS DVBS2, UHD 4K, HEVC, multicast hardware keeps getting released. :)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts