Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
Samsung LN55B650 55" LCD HDTV

Toshiba Regza 55ZV650U 55" LCD HDTV

Samsung PN58B650 58" Plasma TV

Please help me pick one

Samsung 58" Plasma.

If these are the three choices, agreed.

However, this one is being released on Tuesday by Toshiba and should give the plasma a run for its money:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-55SV670U-55-Inch-Backlight-ClearScan/dp/B001TOD3KA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243707082&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: Toshiba REGZA Cinema Series 55SV670U 55-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV with LED Backlight and ClearScan 240, Black: Electronics[/ame]

The difference is an LED backlight for each pixel that will provide much deeper blacks. They are claiming a 30k:1 contrast ratio. I for one am anxious to get a chance to see this one. Up till now, LED backlights have only been available on sets costing $4500 and up.

Bought a new Samsung LCD LN46650A in January, and really love the picture on it.
Thought a lot about a plasma instead, but the higher wattage steered me to the LCD.
jayn_j is right on that pricing on the LED back light, it would have been a budget breaker, if I would have
waited.

If these are the three choices, agreed.

However, this one is being released on Tuesday by Toshiba and should give the plasma a run for its money:

Amazon.com: Toshiba REGZA Cinema Series 55SV670U 55-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV with LED Backlight and ClearScan 240, Black: Electronics

The difference is an LED backlight for each pixel that will provide much deeper blacks. They are claiming a 30k:1 contrast ratio. I for one am anxious to get a chance to see this one. Up till now, LED backlights have only been available on sets costing $4500 and up.

Off center viewing is still a problem for LCD no matter what type of blacklighting is used. I do have a Sammy LCD and it has a awesome picture but you do have to be close to the center to see all details and colors. I use my plasma for bigger crowds because EVERYONE watching will see the same picture no matter where you sit.

Off center viewing is still a problem for LCD no matter what type of blacklighting is used. I do have a Sammy LCD and it has a awesome picture but you do have to be close to the center to see all details and colors. I use my plasma for bigger crowds because EVERYONE watching will see the same picture no matter where you sit.

People have been saying this forever now, and it probably once was true.

I have one 32" LCD unit in my bedroom. If I am sitting at my computer, I am watching it at about 70 -75 degrees off the vertical centerline. I observe no significant darkening of the picture at that angle. However, I see significant distortion from that angle. People look tall and skinny, circles become ovals, etc.

You can't tell me that guests viewing from this extreme angle find it a comfortable experience. Or are you trying to tell me that plasmas somehow violate the laws of geometry?

Bottom line is that the majority of viewing is done within 45 degrees of the vertical centerline, and a modern LCD unit will have absolutely no problems delivering in that range. Distortion will become a problem long before darkening.

To everyone else, I apologize for furthering what is definitely a religious discussion here. I have no problems with plasmas, but I also think old myths need to be constantly re-examined.

People have been saying this forever now, and it probably once was true.

I have one 32" LCD unit in my bedroom. If I am sitting at my computer, I am watching it at about 70 -75 degrees off the vertical centerline. I observe no significant darkening of the picture at that angle. However, I see significant distortion from that angle. People look tall and skinny, circles become ovals, etc.

You can't tell me that guests viewing from this extreme angle find it a comfortable experience. Or are you trying to tell me that plasmas somehow violate the laws of geometry?

Bottom line is that the majority of viewing is done within 45 degrees of the vertical centerline, and a modern LCD unit will have absolutely no problems delivering in that range. Distortion will become a problem long before darkening.

To everyone else, I apologize for furthering what is definitely a religious discussion here. I have no problems with plasmas, but I also think old myths need to be constantly re-examined.

I am not sure if you saw that I do have BOTH Plasma and LCD. You may not loose detail off angle on a 32" LCD but you do on a 52". This is no myth. This was the primary purchase of the Plasma. It fixed my problem. I am not putting down the LCD at all. I think the picture is really good. Just pointing out the fact and not myth about MY experience.:)

My Dad (80 yrs Old) insisted on LCD, 1080p) Likes my 720 Plasma better. Looks more real, in his words.

I am not sure if you saw that I do have BOTH Plasma and LCD. You may not loose detail off angle on a 32" LCD but you do on a 52". This is no myth. This was the primary purchase of the Plasma. It fixed my problem. I am not putting down the LCD at all. I think the picture is really good. Just pointing out the fact and not myth about MY experience.:)

Last year I bought a 32" 450 series Samsung LCD and was looking at getting a 46" 630/650 during the holidays until I decided I just couldn't get past the off-axis viewing angle issue of the LCD vs. Plasma. Moving my viewing position by less than a foot from a viewing distance of 5-6 feet (with the TV perfectly at eye-level) I noticed a substantial reduction in contrast, detail, and color on the 32" Samsung. This was fine for casual bedtime watching, where there's really only one prime seating location, but for my main living room TV I went for a Panny plasma.

Yeah, my 32" Panny LCD has a great picture out in front and in a lighter room. Off angle and dark viewing (gray blacks) are not so hot.

When I got my tv back from the repair shop, I was amazed how much darker the letterbox bars were during a Blu-ray movie in the dark.

I know the more pricey LCD's have great blacks, but pound for pound (price), plasma(samsung and panasonic) is still hard to beat for colors and blacks.

Plasma, I'm a hockey fanatic and the NHL has the fastest action/camera pans. No contest.

LCD is great for slow tours of Art museums regardless the scan rate.

I have Plasma, LCD and Front Projection. All have their strenghts and weaknesses. I do most my watching on FP, it is fantastic to have a huge screen. Of course it is not too useful in rooms with a lot of light. Plasma would be next, it has a fantastic picture without any blurring, and it does well in most viewing environments. I have an LCD in my sun room, with floor to ceiling glass it needs the LCD in torch mode during the day. The other use of LCD is for smaller units for guest rooms and kitchen.

Plasma for sure. Have the same set as elwaylite and the picture is about as good as I have seen. Colors are rich and deep and the blacks are BLACK!

I know Kuro's are supposed to be awesome, but the black levels of the 85u amaze me, I love the tv.

The tv did have a slight red flesh tone issue when I got it, but thats one of the things Gregg's calibration fixed.

plasma is a brain dead choice. Pioneer own 22% world market on plasma & they stop making them. It's yesterday news

And Pioneer is still in business and backing the warranties of all the units they sold, and have a spare part inventory to take care of their customers.

If you buy an LCD from a no name company you might not be able to get it fixed one day after the warranty expires. Named brand companies keep their customers happy by stocking parts and making repairs after warranty periods possible.

But, with the way TVs are going, after a few years it would better to get a new set than repair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)