Which one?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sistersinhim

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
Which should I choose as an Internet Satellite provider, Wildblue or Hughes? Why? Would I be able to totally get rid of dialup? I don't have a business online or anything, just surfing for information and pleasure. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
sistersinhim said:
Which should I choose as an Internet Satellite provider, Wildblue or Hughes? Why? Would I be able to totally get rid of dialup? I don't have a business online or anything, just surfing for information and pleasure. Thank you for your help.

One part of you question is easy: Yes, you will be able to totally get rid of dial-up, and that land line you're using for dial-up if you so wish. Both services use 2 way satellite communication; the dish both sends & receives your internet communications.

I favor WildBlue, but in fair disclosure I am both a customer of WB service and a dealer/installer, so I am not unbiased. WB boasts a 93% customer satisfaction rate. But there are also many satisfied Hughe's customers. I think you will find WB much less expensive to get started with. They're offering free standard installation through May 31; you pay only the $299 equipment cost. WB is a 12 month committment with the first 30 days satisfaction guarantee. Hughes is an 18 month committment, and I THINK they also offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

Your decision. I think you will be very happy to leave dial-up behind with satellite internet. But, if you've ever had DSL or cable internet, don't expect satellite to be as fast. There's an initial latency of a few seconds when you request a web page as that request travels from your computer 22,000+ miles out in to space & back down to a gateway. Then it starts to download 10 to 30 times faster than dial-up.

What have been the complaints of the 7% that weren't satisfied with WB?

Thank you so much for your reply. I have never had DSL or cable, so anything has got to be better than this dial up! I have about a month to decide which company to go with and any information I receive will be a big help.

Last edited:
sistersinhim said:
What have been the complaints of the 7% that weren't satisfied with WB?

I guess that 7% belong in the "you can please some people all the time, but you can't please all people all the time" group. :D

Most complaints I see are from people using wireless routers to connect multiple computers to a single intertnet connection. I don't know why they have problems with that; I use a wireless router and have done several installations with routers and never have any problems. Anyway, it doesn't sound like you need to connect multiple computers.

A good web site for gauging WB customer satisfaction is www.wildblue.cc - they call themselves "WildBlue Uncensored!". Members are primarily WB customers who post about their pleasure or displeasures with WB service.

Hughes is alot bigger and covers the whole US. If you choose Wildblue make sure it is avalable in your area right now because they use spotbeams and some places are shut down as far as installing as of right now. Whichever one you choose it will be a Hell of a lot better than dial-up.

Hughes is offering a 200 dollar rebate right now which makes the system $400.
Wildblue is offering a free install so their system is $300.
Now as I state below Hughes has a 15 month warrenty on Labor, and Parts. "you do not pay anything in the first 15 months for service"
Wildblue only has a 90 day warrenty on Labor and Parts and a 1 year warrenty on parts. "any labor after 90 days will be charged to you"
also Wildblue does not offer a static IP option.

Lets break the two company's down.
Hughes Network Systems, LLC (HUGHES) is the global leader in providing broadband satellite networks and services for large enterprises, governments, small businesses, and consumers. HughesNet™ encompasses all broadband solutions and managed services from Hughes, bridging the best of satellite and terrestrial technologies. Hughes has shipped more than 1,000,000 systems to customers in over 100 countries. Its broadband satellite products are based on the IPoS (IP over Satellite) global standard, approved by the TIA, ETSI, and ITU standards organizations.

Headquartered outside Washington, D.C., in Germantown, Maryland, USA, Hughes maintains sales and support offices worldwide. Hughes is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hughes Communications, Inc. (OTCBB:HGCM).
.................................................. ...........................
WildBlue offers you high-speed Internet access via satellite to almost every corner of the U.S.!

WildBlue claims superior performance both in terms of upload and download speed and also latency through its use of newer satellite technology. Specifically, WildBlue uses the Ka band instead of the Ku band used by established competitors such as Hughes Network Systems' DIRECWAY. For improved performance, it covers the U.S. and most of populated Canada with many "spot beams" instead of a single, broad beam covering the entire market. It has adopted DOCSIS technology to reduce costs while maintaining quality of service. Competitors such as Hughes have also announced their transition to Ka band satellites.
------------------------------------------------------------------

So while Hughes is Global, Wildblue can cover ALMOST the entire U.S.

Wildblue uses Ka band satellites instead of Ku band "like Hughes" for better performance.
(I will note that Hughes developed Spaceway which is Ka band which they will be switching to soon.)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Lets compare the second tier with both services

Hughes $599 to purchase and $100 rebate
with a 15 month warranty that includes labor and parts. Hughes states We warrant to the original buyer that under normal use and wear the Equipment, which includes the Indoor Unit (satellite modem), Power Supply, and Outdoor Unit (Antenna & Radio Assembly), will be free from defects in material and workmanship for a standard limited warranty term of 15 months* from the date of activation. Any Equipment replaced or repaired under this warranty will be warranted for the remainder of the original warranty period or thirty (30) days, whichever is longer. This warranty is not transferable.

Wildblue $299 to purchase with free install
with a 12 month warranty that includes parts Wildblue states If your WildBlue-supplied outdoor unit requires service under this limited warranty, WildBlue will not charge for any labor costs we incur to repair or replace it (or any component of it) within the first 90 days after the initial installation. After this period, WildBlue will cover the cost of the new equipment, but the on-site labor cost must be paid by you. WildBlue will provide on-site labor at its standard rates and an estimated charge can be given prior to the work, based on the type of the replacement. If your satellite dish needs to be re-pointed after the first 90 days of service, standard on-site labor charges will apply.
WOW Wildblue, Hughes kicks your ass on the warranty

Wildblue offers 1 meg down and 200 up for 69.95
5 emails with 25MB capacity per address
spyware and antivirus for 1 year
dial up for 7.95 but only 10 hours a month
24/7 tech support
12 month comment

Hughes offers 1 meg down and 200 up for 69.99
5 emails with 2GB capacity per address
spyware and antivirus for the life you have the system
dial up for 15.00 month with unlimited access.
24/7 tech support
15 month comment

Also I noticed Wildblue does not offer a static IP. You can get one with Hughes for $20.

--------------------------------------------------------

No for the FAP.
Wildblue 12000 MB in a 30 day period.

Hughes 350 MB in a 4 hour period.

Down by Hours.
Wildblue 30daysx24hours=720hours so 12000/720=16.67MB in a 1 hour period.

Hughes 350MB/4hours=87.5MB in a 1 hour period.

So 87.5MB-16.67MB=70.83MB per hour is what you loss with Wildblue.

.................................................. ........................

Good luck!!!

Thank you so much for the replies. I still haven't decided which one to go with. It seems one of the most important parts is finding a good installer. That scares me. I think I'll ask for references!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)