which PC card needed to receive Dish?

Win Theone

Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Texas
My desk is getting crowded.
Is there a video card to insert into a PCIexpress slot that anyone would recommend so that I can use one of my monitors to receive DishNetwork and eliminate the small tv set from the desktop area?

I am currently running two Dells (Vostro 220 and Vostro 200) into a Belkin Coupler and wireless router. There is co-ax serving the small tv so I already have the Dish wiring there to the desk.

I would like to receive Dish tv on one of the monitors.
SD is fine... don't need HD....

I'm seeking recommendations for a vid card.

thanks
Win

garys
anything special to which you're making reference?
I have a similar need to Win, along with Lord Vader, and I'm not sure that with a tv already running dish output there handy would I need anything else to hookup to the vid card?

You still need the Dish receiver hooking outputs to the inputs of the card.
If you'll read OP post:
"There is co-ax serving the small tv so I already have the Dish wiring there to the desk"
WT,
You better use S-Video cable to new video capture card.
What distance between your desk and that Dish box ? Is it possible to drop new cables ?

The TV tuner card would act like a SDTV in this case. You would backfeed the TV2 out from your DVR or just hook up a receiver to the input on the card just like the tv thats there now.

He would spend less and get better picture on PC monitor, if he will buy simple video capture card with S-Video input and run the S-Video cable from his Dish box.

My desk is getting crowded.
Is there a video card to insert into a PCIexpress slot that anyone would recommend so that I can use one of my monitors to receive DishNetwork and eliminate the small tv set from the desktop area?

I am currently running two Dells (Vostro 220 and Vostro 200) into a Belkin Coupler and wireless router. There is co-ax serving the small tv so I already have the Dish wiring there to the desk.

I would like to receive Dish tv on one of the monitors.
SD is fine... don't need HD....

I'm seeking recommendations for a vid card.

thanks
Win
The real question is what monitor are you running? If you are running a DELL LCD monitor, it is likely that you can just plug the Dish ViP 622, 722 etc in as a 2nd input. The computer is completely unimportant :)

FWIW we use a Dell 24" LCD monitor as our "HD TV" hooked up to our ViP 622.

Talon Dancer

The real question is what monitor are you running? If you are running a DELL LCD monitor, it is likely that you can just plug the Dish ViP 622, 722 etc in as a 2nd input. The computer is completely unimportant :)

FWIW we use a Dell 24" LCD monitor as our "HD TV" hooked up to our ViP 622.

Talon Dancer
Great point. I use an Acer LCD monitor for my computer and have a 2nd input to it from my sat receiver (via HDMI to DVI adapter). I have to set my receiver to 720p instead of 1080i when I want to watch it on my computer montior, but that only takes about 5 button presses on the remote. If I had a better monitor to begin with, I probably wouldn't have to do anything except change which input I'm viewing on the monitor.

That only gets video, so I ran the extra audio out from the satellite receiver to the comptuer speakers (with a $2 adapter from monoprice) and I can easily change between comptuer or satellite in my office. It was just a couple cables and adapters if you have the right monitor (under $20 for me).

.....If I had a better monitor to begin with, I probably wouldn't have to do anything except change which input I'm viewing on the monitor. ....
Space is at a premium in our small cabin. So we got a Dell 24in monitor capable of 1080i on component. For quite a while it was my wife's computer screen and our HD TV. We only had to switch the video input on the Dell. The sound is plugged into our stereo system. When she got a iMac (with a built in screen), we just converted the old Dell into our full time HD TV :)

Talon Dancer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts