Which PVR?

MrMylesG

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Perry Hall, MD
I am thinking about buying a PVR and I have some questions.

Besides the HD what is the difference between a PVR 508 and a 510?

Thanks!

MrM

mudder1310 said:
The 510 also has a bit larger hard drive.

If you'll read before you reply, you won't tell him things he already knows. "Besides the HD what is the difference between a PVR 508 and a 510?"

chaddux said:
If you'll read before you reply, you won't tell him things he already knows. "Besides the HD what is the difference between a PVR 508 and a 510?"
I think the confusion there is that most of us think HD=HiDef and HDD=Hard Disk Drive.

Understandable, even though it is clear given the original context of 508 vs. 510.

MrMylesG said:
I am thinking about buying a PVR and I have some questions.

Besides the HD what is the difference between a PVR 508 and a 510?

Thanks!

MrM
501 - 40 gig harddrive, 35 hrs. recording time, no dvr fee
508 - 80 gig harddrive, 72 hrs. recording time, no dvr fee
510 - 120 gig harddrive, 110 hrs, recording time, dvr fee

All are good pvrs. Best bang for the buck would the 508.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/receivers/dvr/index.shtml

Ok, Physically and software wise, there is NO difference between the 508 and the 510. Other than the DVR fee, they are the exact same receiver. You can replace the hard drives in the 501 and 508 and make it a 510, and you don't have to pay the VoD fee, and you get the same recording time. However, this requires someone who knows what they are doing.

If you are looking at an E* PVR, don't overlook the 721. It has 2 tuners like the 522, but only outputs to 1 TV. However, I must say that having BOTH a 501 and a 721, I rarely use the 501. The 721's guide displays much more info and is much faster than the 5xx. And, it has nice touches like showing the current channel when you bring up the menus and PVR list like the 522 does. Add the 90 hour recording time and the built-in PiP, it's a heck of a receiver. Granted, there have been some quirks since the L175 update(most notably the skip back 10 second problem), but it is still a better receiver IMHO than the 5xxs.

larrystotler said:
Ok, Physically and software wise, there is NO difference between the 508 and the 510. Other than the DVR fee, they are the exact same receiver. You can replace the hard drives in the 501 and 508 and make it a 510, and you don't have to pay the VoD fee, and you get the same recording time. However, this requires someone who knows what they are doing.

If you are looking at an E* PVR, don't overlook the 721. It has 2 tuners like the 522, but only outputs to 1 TV. However, I must say that having BOTH a 501 and a 721, I rarely use the 501. The 721's guide displays much more info and is much faster than the 5xx. And, it has nice touches like showing the current channel when you bring up the menus and PVR list like the 522 does. Add the 90 hour recording time and the built-in PiP, it's a heck of a receiver. Granted, there have been some quirks since the L175 update(most notably the skip back 10 second problem), but it is still a better receiver IMHO than the 5xxs.

If you have the 1.75 update, the 721 is really poor. The higher compresed channels (TNT. FX) can't seem to work properly with the 10 second rewind button.

Kaydigi said:
If you have the 1.75 update, the 721 is really poor. The higher compresed channels (TNT. FX) can't seem to work properly with the 10 second rewind button.

Do you HAVE a 721? Because it isn't that bad to be honest. Sometimes it can be annoying, but if that is the worst problem you can have, I'll take it. It's not like it's not firing timers or deleting my recording like some other updates have done for other receivers.

I have had the 721 , 3 infact, and I have had the 921 receiver and all I have to say is wait till you get a 942 with 1 ota tuner and 2 sat tuners . You can record up to 3 things at a time. It has namebased recording that works. I didn't think that nbr would make that much difference but it does. This one receiver has restored my faith in Dishnetwork. If only they could make all their receivers like this one. :D

larrystotler said:
Do you HAVE a 721? Because it isn't that bad to be honest. Sometimes it can be annoying, but if that is the worst problem you can have, I'll take it. It's not like it's not firing timers or deleting my recording like some other updates have done for other receivers.

Since 175 was loaded on my 721, it has been quite flaky. Sometimes it just shuts off, other times channels change on their own. The fast forward (not skip) button defaults to 60x speed. PIP always starts in the middle of the screen, no matter where it was when I turned it off.

Before that, it was a great receiver. It still is a good unit and I prefer it due to no dvr fee. Although I do like the NBR on my 522.

larrystotler said:

Yes I have a 1 721, 1 522, and 2 311's. The rewind function is horrible during the 1.75. I was currently watching Buffy Season 1-7 on FX and Angel season 1-5 on TNT.

I can not skip back at all on either channels, it gets more than annoying after 200 something episodes.

I also have season 2 of Third Watch on the 721 ( A&E ) and the rewind blackouts are less severe than FX and TNT. I can live with it working sometimes on A & E, because it does work.

One thing that has seem to stop on the 721 is the audio and video drop "aquiring signal screen" that use to happen during DVR recordings some times

MikeD-C05 said:
I have had the 721 , 3 infact, and I have had the 921 receiver and all I have to say is wait till you get a 942 with 1 ota tuner and 2 sat tuners . You can record up to 3 things at a time. It has namebased recording that works. I didn't think that nbr would make that much difference but it does. This one receiver has restored my faith in Dishnetwork. If only they could make all their receivers like this one. :D

Agreed, NBR makes a huge difference once you use it for the first time.

Yeah, I have noticed that it is very intermittent as well. However, I don't notice it enough for it to be a big deal. Hopefully, they will take care of it during the next update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts