Which receivers have remotes with RF

Status
Please reply by conversation.

twoskinsoneman

Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
I want to have a few screens around the house that will be used infrequently. These will all be connected to a single receiver. I figure I'll put the receiver in the attic and split the output to the various screens. Like a 19" in the laundry room for the wife, a 9" under the counter in the kitchen, a little 7" LCD flush mounted in the wall in front of the toilet...you know the common places. Anyway all I want for these tvs is a cheap non-hd receiver but of course it has to be RF cabable to get the signal from the remote. Can someone provide a list of receivers that you know are RF capable. Also instead of looking for the remote before heading into the uh...room you want to watch in, can multiple remotes be used?

Thanks a bunch

Officially none are UHF remotes, the RC24 was supplied with the H20 and HR20 but new pack outs are supposed to have the RC32 IR remotes and the RC32RF is an optional remote. The plan was for the RC32RF to make any Directv receiver into a UHF remote.

The only non hd rf capable CURRENT directv receiver that I'm aware of is the R15 dvr. On this unit it isn't even supported, but it will work if you can acquire an rf remote.

I want to have a few screens around the house that will be used infrequently. These will all be connected to a single receiver. I figure I'll put the receiver in the attic and split the output to the various screens. Like a 19" in the laundry room for the wife, a 9" under the counter in the kitchen, a little 7" LCD flush mounted in the wall in front of the toilet...you know the common places. Anyway all I want for these tvs is a cheap non-hd receiver but of course it has to be RF cabable to get the signal from the remote. Can someone provide a list of receivers that you know are RF capable. Also instead of looking for the remote before heading into the uh...room you want to watch in, can multiple remotes be used?

Thanks a bunch

I would not reccomend running the receiver from the attic.
The drastic change of temperture cannot be good for the electronics.

Jimbo

None of what receivers ?
I have 2 H-10's, HR20-700 and a Sony HD-100 all that came with a RF remote ;)

Jimbo
Only the HR20-700 is in current production and the RC24 that came with your is no longer being packed with it. Directv is supposed to change to the RC32 IR remote and force you to buy the RF as an accessory.:)

If you are already going to have to run coax through the walls to connect all these TVs, you might want to look into also installing an IR distribution system along with it. Then you can just use the standard IR remotes that come with everything. This would allow control of other sources like a DVD player or VCR as well as the satellite receiver. Check out Smart Home

Thanks a bunch

What did you end up doing here? I have the same situation and, 10 months later, wonder what the options are or any new ideas?

What is the IR distribution system anyway?

I got Two HR20-100s on Nov 8th both made in Aug 2007

both came with RF Remote.

I should point out though that the HR20-100 has real bad RF remote support right now. It works but it is not reliable. See other threads for details.

I got Two HR20-100s on Nov 8th both made in Aug 2007

both came with RF Remote.

I should point out though that the HR20-100 has real bad RF remote support right now. It works but it is not reliable. See other threads for details.

It all depends on your situation, what walls they have to work around ect, his may work fine or maybe not.... My -100 RF remote worked fine from about 100 ft thru walls.

jimbo

Does the HR20 still support IR remote? I've got a Logitech Harmony that I absolutely love, but it's a low-end model that doesn't support RF.

I won't need the HR 20 to be RF, but I will need the 2nd tuner or DVR to work through walls, so does the HR 20 now come with an RF -capable remote and if so, would it work with the R15 or another receiver or DVR that is for SD only?

All the HR receivers have RF remote capabilities. When D* removed the external antenna, most people including my installer thought they did away with RF capability. D* put the RF antenna inside the unit. Most of the remotes have the RF capability. I do not know the early remote model numbers that do not. It is easy to set up and test on the receiver. If the receiver does not respond when setting up and following the propmpts, before you give up, try it again. I thought the same thing thinking my HR-100 and 700's did not have the RF capability because their was no longer an external antenna like the H20 has. The remote addresses are all programmed with a different RF code so they work with that particular receiver. The code comes from the receiver not the remote. So you can take remote 1 and re-program it to receiver 2. It will no longer operate receiver 1. Now possibly you may be able to set up the remote to handle more than 1 receiver via RF but I think the receiver errors and tells you that you are on the wrong toggle switch (IE: Trying to set up the remote to work on receiver 2 when the toggle switch is in the VCR position.) I'm not sure if their is a work around. All my remotes are set to RF and they all control the receivers with no problems.
And don't put your receiver in the attic. First, it will shut down in the Summer overheating, second, all the insullation dust will burn up the unit and become a fire hazard burning down your house and is probably a major building code violation and giving your insuance company an excuse not to pay for a replacement house and your wife leaving (if you are married) due to all the stress and all of this because of the fan noise coming out of the receiver. Third, It's a pain in the rear climbing up in the attic every time you have to push that nice little red button thats labeled "Reset" If you have HDMI it's 1 cable and you could put the receiver in a nearby closet. Chances are your TV's are older and multiple cables would need to be run. Another option if you have a rancher style house with an un-finished basement, you could install mounts from the floor joists and hang the receivers below where the TV's are located so your cable runs are not so long.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)