Which receivers work with IR remotes?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I'm looking to add an HD receiver for a TV on a Screened in porch. But I want to leave the receiver in the house and run an HDMI cable outside to the TV. I need to be able to control the inside receiver from the outside. Isn't it an IR remote that I need? I'm looking at either the 222 or a 612. Will either of these receivers work this way? I have an un-used TV2 remote from my 622 that I currently don't use. Could I make that remote work on a 222 or 612? Thanks.

Actually you're looking for a receiver that uses a UHF remote. Either the 612 or the 222 will work although the 222 will be cheaper it just won't have DVR functions.

My bad I'm a bit off, the 612 would be cheaper unless you don't already have a DVR. The 612 is $10 a month (plus the $6 DVR fee if you aren't already paying it) while the 222 is $14 a month.

I already have (2) 622's.
But I think now I have another idea. I may run a long HDMI cable through the attic to the porch outside and just use the 622 I already have when I need to use the outside TV. I can unplug the existing HDMI going to the inside TV and plug in the new HDMI for the outside TV when I need to use it. Which will not be an everyday thing. Will a long run HDMI cable affect my picture quality at all? I may need it to be 25'-30'.

I already have (2) 622's.
But I think now I have another idea. I may run a long HDMI cable through the attic to the porch outside and just use the 622 I already have when I need to use the outside TV. I can unplug the existing HDMI going to the inside TV and plug in the new HDMI for the outside TV when I need to use it. Which will not be an everyday thing. Will a long run HDMI cable affect my picture quality at all? I may need it to be 25'-30'.

If you're going to be doing this a lot, it'll get old swapping the HDMI cable. I guess if you have easy access to the back of the 622 you might be ok. I'd also worry about damage to the HDMI port of the 622. There's been issues in the past although I believe DISH has upgraded the port.

A couple of other options - use component for the main TV and you run both of them at the same time. Or pick up a HDMI switcher from monoprice or similar.

OR, shop Monoprice, get several 18" or 2 foot hdmi cables and a female coupler or 2. Hook up the short cable to the receiver and leave it always hooked up. That way you will not damage the port on the receiver.

25 or 30' won't be a problem at all. As stated previously go to monoprice.com for the HDMI splitter (if you want to use HDMI on both TVs) and the long cable you need. If you use component and the red/white RCA audio cables for the inside TV then you won't need the splitter.

Ed

Well I just called Dish and asked some questions. I asked about the 612 and 222 specifically. She told me I would not be able to operate either receiver from another room in the house. Is this correct? She said I had to get either a 622 or 722 to do this. I'm trying to keep my monthly receiver fee to a minimum because I'm already paying for (2) 622's. Any suggestions?

Well I just called Dish and asked some questions. I asked about the 612 and 222 specifically. She told me I would not be able to operate either receiver from another room in the house. Is this correct? She said I had to get either a 622 or 722 to do this. I'm trying to keep my monthly receiver fee to a minimum because I'm already paying for (2) 622's. Any suggestions?

You can get one of these for the 612. If you decide on the 222 since it has UHF Built in, Put it in single mode and use the TV2 UHF remote outside. Since the 612 isn't A Dual Tuner UHF is not built in, But the IR to UHF converter will work.

IR TO UHF DISH NETWORK REMOTE CONTROL UPGRADE KIT- NEW - eBay (item 330388251014 end time Sep-14-10 13:17:21 PDT)

Yes the VIP 612 is a dual tuner(single out) DVR and is capable of UHF right out of the box. That is why it has a UHF antenna port on the back of the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)