Which recievers are still being manufactured and updated?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
The cost of producing a product usually drops over time. Componets get cheaper and the process becomes more streamlined.

Which recievers are still in production?
Of the recievers that are still in production are any being updated with better componets? (i.e. if i cracked open a 501 and a 510 would I see the same motherboard, IC etc)

NightRyder said:
Current E* receivers.

NightRyder

Okay and are any of them being updated or are they using the sam ole parts?

Take the 921 for example...when it was released the 250GB hard drive it uses was north of $240.00 now you can pick them up or half that.

They only update software.
new parts would only be in a new model.
example;
501 40 gig
508 80 gig
510 120 gig

Paradox-SJ said:
Okay and are any of them being updated or are they using the sam ole parts?

Take the 921 for example...when it was released the 250GB hard drive it uses was north of $240.00 now you can pick them up or half that.

Only one of E* hardware engineers could answer your "updated" question.

Do they have different (as in part # or manufacturer) components in them? Probably. That's not unusual in volume manufacturing due to availability and pricing of components used, but there is no indication that E* has made any major design changes in any given receiver line.

I own both a 501 (4/01) and 508 (8/03) receiver. Other than recording capacity you couldn't tell one from the other by performance or usability. I'm sure if I opened them up I could find minor differences besides the size of the hard drive but they are not relevant to operation or performance of the device. The fact that E* uses the same software for all receivers in a given line precludes major changes.

NightRyder

Notice how quick the price drops on the hard drives but not on the actual receivers that contain them. Dish makes out from this unless they purchase the hard drives in bulk to save money (in which they would not save much after all seeing how much they drop in price).

Another example of DISH upgrades is the DP301 -10 or -13 these are both 301s but have different operating software which indicates they have different components though the same model #.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts