Which sat service to purchase? Help?

Janet Sims

Original poster
May 29, 2007
Hello... I am new to the forum and need help in deciding which system to purchase to use for a small home based business. Many of you appear to have the knowledge I am looking for. We are moving from the Big City (San Diego- Cox Cable Land) to the 'burbs, no actually the "sticks" in Alabama- green trees, chirping birds, less traffic, but alas, no DSL or cable-- I have checked them all, even spoke with Bell South to get a T-1 and actually seriously considered it.

I will be running a small business from my home, actually a satellite office(pun intended) from my main office in California so I can work from my new home. I was hoping to use VPN, but it appears this is not supported or recommended by the sat companies.

My main question is: which company should I use? Hughesnet or Blue Sky ? I have read many of the threads about both, and really need some imput from techies who know and have used both systems. Both seem to offer residential and small business/medium business, etc. - different speeds, different dish size and different pricing.

What should I really expect to receive? Can we really believe their ads and claims?-

I will only be transmitting a small amounts of data to my server in California, just text into my client database, email and such. No downloading of music or large files. I will most likely be running two computers and create a mini network from home. I will be working on line about 8 hours per day and need the system open and available.

Any Ideas, suggestions or warnings before I sign on the dotted line?

Janet and Win in Alabama

I have no experience with Hughesnet, and I don't know what Blue Sky is, but I install Wildblue, and with the PRO package I normally get speeds of right at 1500 down, and close to 200 up pretty consistantly. That is with their highest package.
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you the speeds you should expect with the other services.

By the way..

Welcome to Satelliteguys :)

Janet,

What part of Alabama do you live in? My company covers some of Alabama and we can offer you Wildblue or Hughesnet. We are a company based out of Pontotoc, about 20 miles from Tupelo. As many people here know I prefer Hughesnet. I use it the ProPlus plan myself and have had great success with it. Let me know and I can have one of our reps get in touch with you and explain both systems thoroughly.

I don't know for sure about HughesNet Tate can answer that, but you can use your VPN with WildBlue. I know 'cause I have helped set up customers.

Janet,

What part of Alabama do you live in? My company covers some of Alabama and we can offer you Wildblue or Hughesnet. We are a company based out of Pontotoc, about 20 miles from Tupelo. As many people here know I prefer Hughesnet. I use it the ProPlus plan myself and have had great success with it. Let me know and I can have one of our reps get in touch with you and explain both systems thoroughly.

Hartselle- 30 miles south of Huntsville. Sorry about the Wild Blue/Blue Sky error .......
Yes, I would like info on both. I had investigated the Hughesnet ProPlus and it looked really good, then I hear of Wild Blue and was getting positive feed on that one too.

Thanks,

Janet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts