Which Sat should I try with my Viacast 2000 and P* Dish and LNB?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
OK I am going nuts!. I have a ViaCast 2000 and P* Dish and LNB (one output). I live in Central NY USA.

What do other people have their P* Dish and LNB pointed at?

I have all the numbers and did get it working once on what I THINK was T5 BUT have not had any luck since and did not note all the numbers I was using.
I have 12 Volt and desk(?) turned off also.

I have a signal meter and it says I am on a sat but when I hit the info button I don't get any quality. I am correcting for mag north and will insure this by going down the street and looking at another dish that is on 10R. I get 94 on the strength and that is no matter where I point the dish.

I know the system works because I can get DISH 119 with out any problems.

What is a good Sat and transponder to try first? That is to say what is the highest power other than the DTV and Dish birds.

How good are these old P* LNB with one output? I have another P* LNB with two. Would it work better or just the same?

My next steps are get get a better compass and find an open field and try again. I have a small TV and interter to do this.

Any ideas?

I have a Universal LNB, bought before reading this board, but from what I read I can't use a signal meter with it? That leads me to another question is there an adaptor that I can buy to convert my P* holder to a the standard FTA LNB or should I just try to build one?

Thanks

Try for T5 again use this channel

IRIB

V

I would try to make a holder for your LNB.

And the signal meter will not work with a universal LNBF.

You cant beat the small TV method at the dish watching for quality!

ken2400 said:
I have all the numbers and did get it working once on what I THINK was T5 BUT have not had any luck since and did not note all the numbers I was using.
I have 12 Volt and desk(?) turned off also.
That's good
I have a signal meter and it says I am on a sat but when I hit the info button I don't get any quality. I am correcting for mag north and will insure this by going down the street and looking at another dish that is on 10R. I get 94 on the strength and that is no matter where I point the dish.
The signal strength on these are sheeeeeeet...I get a 94 aimed straight north
I know the system works because I can get DISH 119 with out any problems.
thats good :)
What is a good Sat and transponder to try first? That is to say what is the highest power other than the DTV and Dish birds.

For G10, try 11799 V 26660 SR
How good are these old P* LNB with one output? I have another P* LNB with two. Would it work better or just the same?
only difference is the dual output

Program it this way for G10
0,1,2 etc
10750000...add the 3 zeroes
11799000...again the 3 zeroes
off
off

I saw PSB had one for IA5..use what he put but remember the 3 zeros on the LO and the Frequency.
Another thing to remember is when you aim, get in the vicinity, and turn ir 1/4" at a time AND WAIT UP TO 5 SECONDS!!! These Viacasts take forever for a signal :)

Iceberg said:
Um, that's Santa's off-season ElfTV uplink station.

Actually, I found about one use for the otherwise meaningless signal "strength" measurement. Since I'm at opposite corner in my house from where the dish is, I use this reading to "see" the motor moving the dish. Where I am (and with my equipment) I always get around 70% strength no matter where the dish is pointing. But when it moves, the strength will very quickly peak at upwards of 80something when pointed directly at a satellite along the way, i.e.

Time -->
70---72---70-------73---78-81--74-----70------75--77-76--71---- ...

See, there were like 2 satellites passed along the way there. It's almost as much fun as watching grass grow!

The viacast doesnty have a motor option and the signal always stays between 85-95 no matter where you are.

Iceberg

Do I have to be tuned to a given channel to get the info page to work? The receiver right now does not have any channels know for G 10R or IA5.

If so what are some good channels to try for the trans you listed?

Thanks
Ken

Iceberg said:
That's good

thats good :)

For G10, try 11799 V 26660 SR

only difference is the dual output

Program it this way for G10
0,1,2 etc
10750000...add the 3 zeroes
11799000...again the 3 zeroes
off
off

I saw PSB had one for IA5..use what he put but remember the 3 zeros on the LO and the Frequency.
Another thing to remember is when you aim, get in the vicinity, and turn ir 1/4" at a time AND WAIT UP TO 5 SECONDS!!! These Viacasts take forever for a signal :)

ken2400 said:
Iceberg

Do I have to be tuned to a given channel to get the info page to work? The receiver right now does not have any channels know for G 10R or IA5.

If so what are some good channels to try for the trans you listed?

Thanks
Ken
no
just program what I put in for G10, it will scan and say "no signal", but if you hit info then slowly start moving the dish, the quality meter will finally ping and you should be OK then. Then do a rescan

ken2400 said:
FYI
From this page
http://www.skyrocket.de/space/index_frame.htm?http://www.skyrocket.de/space/doc_sat/hs-601.htm

Galaxy 10R has lost both its primary and its secondary XIPS system in August 2004, probably reducing the remaing life to 3 years.
That's an interesting site there. I've always (and by always I mean the month I've been in this sport) wondered, does the "R" just mean "replacement"? It's sad about Galaxy 10 never even making it into position because the launch vehicle failed. Anyone know exactly what they mean by "failed" in that case (how far it did make it, etc.)?

That page also explains that for the satellite at 127 with two names, "Horizons-1" refers only to the Ku side and "Galaxy 13" is the C side.

Thanks Iceberg. This is what I thought but had a channel idea when I was looking around on the internet and a site said to put there receiver on 10 or 12 and then point there dish.

I hope to give this another shot on Sat when I get a better compass.

Ken

Iceberg said:
no
just program what I put in for G10, it will scan and say "no signal", but if you hit info then slowly start moving the dish, the quality meter will finally ping and you should be OK then. Then do a rescan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts