Which SAT should you have with a 722/HD

scimini

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
A family member had Dish installed about six months ago. While down here I noticed they only have USA, TNT, ESPN, SCIFI, and HDNET in HD. No locals, no TBS, ESPN2, ESPNNews Etc.

I checked the system info and it only shows 110 and 119. Shouldn't they have access to 129 as well?

Ashtabula, Ohio.

They have two dishes installed on their garage so I am assuming that one is pointing to 110 and 119. The whole install didn't make sense but I wanted to make sure that I didn't lead them astray and call Dish and look like idiots.

I just did a quick check.

For Ashtabula it looks like they need to have a dish pointed at 61.5 in order to get the Cleveland locals(and HD locals) and the remaining HD channels.

Typically one dish will be receiving 110 & 119 while the other dish is receiving the 61.5 signal.

If the system info is not showing 110, 119, and 61.5 it needs to be fixed.

At least that's what it looks like to me - but what do I know, I'm in AZ... :)

Thanks!

It is possible that one dish recieves 110 and 119 and the other 61.5, now that it is light outside I can see they are pointed in extremly different directions which wouldn't be needed for 110, 119 and 129. Using Dish Pointer the directions would make sense for that setup.

Shame they have had this since July and have been paying for service they are getting.

If one dish and its LNBs look wider than the other and is pointed more to the west then that is a 500 and is getting 110 and 119. The one pointing noticably to the east is 61.5 at least that is how my house is set up. When I upgraded to HD, they just replaced the LNBs since I already had a 500 and a 300 dish.

Now my question is where is my 222 getting the locals from ? It needed a connection to my OTA antenna and had to scan for them which does not sound like the local channels are coming from a satellite.

Thats sounds like their setup. Should there be a switch anywhere.

It looks to me like the 61.5 Sat cable goes to the 110/119 sat and then only two wires come into the house.

If they only have one receiver, there shouldn't be an external switch; the switch should be built into the LNB on the 110/119 dish. At least, that's how it works with mine. I'm wondering what sort of LNB they have if there are two cables going into the house, because mine sends both outputs in on a single cable and there's a seperator inside that feeds both tuners of the DVR.

Probably the 61.5 LNB or the switch built into the other one is blown out. Were they ever getting all the HD channels?

Make sure the LNBs are all Dish Pro or Legacy (requires SW64 switch for 3 orbitals). Go to Menu-6-1-1 and check out the signal levels and which switch and LNBs. A brief list is in Menu-6-1-3 with version number and remote addresses. Included in the Details are some of the TP signal levels at last reboot. Probably the 61.5 are absent or very low. BTW, the usual order is 119 110 129 61.5 for four orbitals. On 61.5, I get transponders (TP) 2 4 14 15 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 29 31 32. Use EKB: Dish Network Channel Chart (Unofficial) to check which are your locals and on which satellite. If you have channels on both, 129 it is used before 61.5, usually.

-Ken

They have two receivers, a 722 and a 322.

They have never had more than the six, not including the PPVs. The installer didn't even set up their TV correctly for the 722 to get the HD service they have paid for since July.

They also told me it took 2 weeks for Dish to install the dishes correctly to get service. It almost looks like the installer just got a good signal and walked away.

I am not getting any signals from any satellite other than the 110/119.

Did you run a check switch?

They have a DPP Twin with a 61.5 Wing Dish, 1 wire to 322, 1 to the 722. Very basic setup.
If the Check Switch shows they are not getting the 61.5, either the input on the DPP Twin has died, there is a problem in the wire between the two dishes, or the 61.5 dish is out of line.