Which transponder to use when pointing dish

andyg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Hello Guys,

I was just wondering which transponder should I use when aiming for 119 satellite..and which one for 110. the point Dish screen has a transponder selection...so which one should it be.

Thanks,
Andy

It does not really matter, you just maximize the signal on whatever transponder it is on. Most people will use the #11 transponder on 119 however.

From reading your other thread your signals are fine. You will waste alot of time to either make your signal worse or maybe get an additional point or two. 75 on the modified meter is a good signal.

Check all tpns on each sat if it multi-feed dish. Realign dish for better gain accros of whole set of tpns.

You could take in account some of tpns are more important, like 'home' with FW and EPG or EEPG or your LiL channels, your preferred channels, etc.

From reading your other thread your signals are fine. You will waste alot of time to either make your signal worse or maybe get an additional point or two. 75 on the modified meter is a good signal.

yeah I tried to do it nevertheless..I donot think I gained any strength in signal. How disappointing.
anyway I wrote to dishquality@dishnetwork.com to explain to me why tennis and FSN ohio and other sports channels look like crap.
we'll see what happens

ok guys...I think I might have pinpointed what the problem is with my system. let me know your toughts.

here is the thing. I know that most of you say that signal strength does not affect picture quality at all. So, I just went and checked something.

I went to point dish screen on my receiver and checked the signal strength on all transponders for 119 and then 110 satellites (have dish 500).

Here is what I have found (min and max signal strength levels on both birds out of 125 max level):
119 bird: 62 min/76 max
110 bird: 21 min/68 max

As you can see the signal strength of 110 bird is lower.
Now, out of curiousity I went on dish network website and found out which satellite my "problem" channels are coming from. Surprisingly or not I found out that channels like Tennis Channel, Fox Soccer channel and other that are included in Top 250 package are broadcast from 110 bird with lower signal strength then 119.

Yes, I know that you are saying signal strenght does not matter for picture quality. However, nevertheless I wonder why 110 channels on my system have lower pq when they have lower signal strength????

One thing I found out that is not proving what I have found of course is that RDS FSN ohio where I watch hockey is coming from 119 bird (and I still have problems with that channel). However, FSN ohio on 119 is far much better pq then tennis channel or fox soccer channel on 110.

I am confused now..!

Forget checking ALL transponders when aligning your Dish!!!
It's superflous, useless, a waste of time.

Check on 119 tr 11, get dish aligned.
If 110 tr 11 is within 15 points of 119 tr 11, lock it down.
As noted 110 is a bit weaker than 119.

I lock mine down after I meter at the dish, before I even look at the receiver meter on the tv. I rarely have to re-align.

fred

ok guys...I think I might have pinpointed what the problem is with my system. let me know your toughts.

here is the thing. I know that most of you say that signal strength does not affect picture quality at all. So, I just went and checked something.

I went to point dish screen on my receiver and checked the signal strength on all transponders for 119 and then 110 satellites (have dish 500).

Here is what I have found (min and max signal strength levels on both birds out of 125 max level):
119 bird: 62 min/76 max
110 bird: 21 min/68 max

As you can see the signal strength of 110 bird is lower.
Now, out of curiousity I went on dish network website and found out which satellite my "problem" channels are coming from. Surprisingly or not I found out that channels like Tennis Channel, Fox Soccer channel and other that are included in Top 250 package are broadcast from 110 bird with lower signal strength then 119.

Yes, I know that you are saying signal strenght does not matter for picture quality. However, nevertheless I wonder why 110 channels on my system have lower pq when they have lower signal strength????

One thing I found out that is not proving what I have found of course is that RDS FSN ohio where I watch hockey is coming from 119 bird (and I still have problems with that channel). However, FSN ohio on 119 is far much better pq then tennis channel or fox soccer channel on 110.

I am confused now..!

I gave you advice about this in another thread. You need to have someone check your bit:error ratios. If they are good, then either the receiver is bad or the provided signal is over-compressed.

What you can do in the meantime is go to the particular channels you have trouble on and while watching those channels, go to menu>6,1,1 and see what satellite/transponder is coming up. That should be the transponder for that channel and you can see if the signal level is low.

Forget checking ALL transponders when aligning your Dish!!!
It's superflous, useless, a waste of time.

Check on 119 tr 11, get dish aligned.
If 110 tr 11 is within 15 points of 119 tr 11, lock it down.
As noted 110 is a bit weaker than 119.

I lock mine down after I meter at the dish, before I even look at the receiver meter on the tv. I rarely have to re-align.

fred

I checked according to the method you recommended.
On transponder 11 I have the following signal:
119 is 66
110 is 61.

I gave you advice about this in another thread. You need to have someone check your bit:error ratios. If they are good, then either the receiver is bad or the provided signal is over-compressed.

What you can do in the meantime is go to the particular channels you have trouble on and while watching those channels, go to menu>6,1,1 and see what satellite/transponder is coming up. That should be the transponder for that channel and you can see if the signal level is low.

thanks for all your advise. You are very helpful..I will talk to dish about it today.
also..I checked the signal on the problem channels I am having a reading of 65 on one of them from bird 110 transponder 9..it is a soccer channel GOLTV; tennis channel is 60 on bird 110 transponder 5, and fox soccer channel is 61 bird 110 transponder 11.
if the issue is just over compression, then what would be the solution? this is the kind of picture I am frequently getting - http://www.dbsinstall.com/N-images/HDTV/compression-high-zoom.jpg

Last edited:
if the issue is just over compression, then what would be the solution?
A better quality TV may provide a better image. In order to provide a better rendition of those channels, DISH would have to up the bitrate on them and that's probably not going to happen (well, maybe when they transition SD channels to MPEG4).

As was pointed out earlier, no amount of dish peaking is going to change the PQ of a channel that you're able to receive unless you're experiencing obvious loss of signal.

A better quality TV may provide a better image. In order to provide a better rendition of those channels, DISH would have to up the bitrate on them and that's probably not going to happen (well, maybe when they transition SD channels to MPEG4).

As was pointed out earlier, no amount of dish peaking is going to change the PQ of a channel that you're able to receive unless you're experiencing obvious loss of signal.

I see....hmmm don;t you think this is ridiculous that dish network even allows the compression to affect quality that bad as to make it almost impossible to watch some channels? Especially considering the fact how they brag about their great picture quality that is better then cable. I used the same exact TV for digital cable and had no problems whatsoever.

Do you know what is holding up the transition from SD channels to MPEG4? Any guess when it will be completely done?

Do you know what is holding up the transition from SD channels to MPEG4?
An installed base of millions of MPEG2-only receivers.
Any guess when it will be completely done?
Probably not for a couple of years; at least until every subscriber has at least one MPEG4 capable box.

The lease plan should accelerate this as people won't be hanging on to "owned" receivers and otherwise gumming up the works with legacy equipment.

I see....hmmm don;t you think this is ridiculous that dish network even allows the compression to affect quality that bad as to make it almost impossible to watch some channels?
It is a balancing act.

Did the Tennis and soccer channels look better on cable or did you have to go to DISH to get them? The soccer channels in particular often suffer from the programming originating in some other TV format which doesn't help.

I've found that better televisions produce an acceptable picture. Certainly nowhere near as clean as on an SDTV, but even the OTA SD channel (analog or digital) PQ is diminished when displayed on an HDTV. If you were sucked into the idea that "Digital = highest quality", then God bless you.

It is a balancing act.

Did the Tennis and soccer channels look better on cable or did you have to go to DISH to get them? The soccer channels in particular often suffer from the programming originating in some other TV format which doesn't help.

I've found that better televisions produce an acceptable picture. Certainly nowhere near as clean as on an SDTV, but even the OTA SD channel (analog or digital) PQ is diminished when displayed on an HDTV. If you were sucked into the idea that "Digital = highest quality", then God bless you.

no the hockey channels looked better on cable. I did not have soccer or tennis on cable. yeah, I was unfortunately led to believe that digital meant higher quality. I don't think you can blame me for that though after seeing all those dishonest dish and direct commercials on TV that is what you led to believe in. Now that I learn more about it, I understand. I like the variety of channels, but I would probably not signeded up for it though if I knew the quality was so bad at that time.

yep..god bless me and god bless you for all the helpful answers :)

Hey andy, why don't you find a local Dish retailer who has a showroom and sample those channels at his location. If they are equally bad, then you know that is a broadcast issue that you can't do anything about other than complain. However, if he has no artifacting at his location, then the problem is likely specific to your location.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts