Which tuners/DVR's (reliable) have RF remote capability?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
I need to have the 2nd tuner/DVR in the same room as the first HD DVR, but it will go to the 2nd tv system in another part of the house. So I need the tuner or DVR to have RF remote capabilities so I can control it from another part of the house.

Which DVR's or tuners (standard definition) would work--either current or older and where can I get them?

Will they support RF coaxial output to a distribution system in the rest of the house, given the rest of the house will see the same channel tuned on this 2nd tuner/DVR?

With DIRECTV, you cannot split the two tuners of a single DVR to serve two televisions. This is a DISH exclusive at this time.

You need to avoid using the word "tuner" and "receiver" interchangeably because most DVR receivers have at least two tuners.

Answer the following questions carefully and we'll be able to help you:

What kind of display is on the second TV system (HD, SD, ED)?

How do you plan to get the TV signal to the second TV?

Do you currently have four satellite cables coming into the existing HD DVR's room?

How far is the second TV room away from the first?

2nd TV: SD
RF coaxial output
Yes--but Direct says they will replace all these when they install
about 50' or less

Also, I do not intend to run but only 1 tv from HD DVR, so wanted just the free standard tuner for the 2nd tv, but must have it installed in same room as HD DVR, although 2nd tv is in an upstairs room.

It would be much easier if you respond to each of my questions in turn. The more direct the answer the better.

Harshness,
Is he planning to feed this second rec with coax ?

There is no Coax output on current rec's., don't know if he knew that.

I think his best bet may be to go to the universal RF type of thing, not as good PQ but it would work. personally I would try to run A/V cables from the 2nd rec, or better yet, run coax for the 2nd rec to the room.

Jimbo

With DIRECTV, you cannot split the two tuners of a single DVR to serve two televisions. This is a DISH exclusive at this time.

You need to avoid using the word "tuner" and "receiver" interchangeably because most DVR receivers have at least two tuners.

Answer the following questions carefully and we'll be able to help you:

What kind of display is on the second TV system (HD, SD, ED)?

SD

How do you plan to get the TV signal to the second TV?

RF coax

Do you currently have four satellite cables coming into the existing HD DVR's room?

Yes

How far is the second TV room away from the first?

50-75 feet

Also, I won't need the RF remote with the HR 20--as that HD tv is in the same room, so can I use the RF remote that comes with it for the R15? Looks like regular receiver won't work (D11?) if it does not have RF coaxial output to tv

You're probably on your own to run the cable from the receiver to the TV. Rule #1 of installations is that only the installer knows what they are going to do and then only after looking over the situation. In the end, the installer works for DIRECTV and must make everything work.

All DIRECTV SD receivers have modulated RF output (it is the coaxial digital audio that comes and goes). None of the HD receivers do.

You may need to diplex in a remote control antenna. The RF remote is supposed to work with the R15. For many it is quite problematic.

The R15 normally does not come with an RF remote.But you can order one through DirecTV.
I ordered the RF remote kit which has the RF antenna and theRC64RB which is the RF with back light for $30+Tax.It's working very good.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)