Which U.S Satellite Provider Has The Best Picture Quality? Please Vote!

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
I hear it all the time, company X has much better picture quality then company y, but is there is any truth to it? Please vote in my poll only if you have personal experience with 2 or more of the providers so you can make an accurate comparison. (NOTE: this poll ONLY includes legal U.S small dish service providers, which doesn't include C-Band or FTA) THANK YOU FOR YOUR VOTE! :D

I have both D* and E* and BUD running to the same monitor and D* and E* are 99.995% the same. BUD is clearly better but absolutely not user friendly. I know BUD isnt in the poll but needs a voice. I have seen Voom and it is somewhat worse than the other DBS services.

I didn't include C-Band (AKA BUD) in the poll because, without question it would win. Anyone who has seen a correctly set-up C-Band feed knows it has the best PQ.

Exactly

I had a KU Analog feed of Oregon/Oklahoma on Saturday and the Dish Network and ExpressVu feed....oh my god, KU analog kicked ass! The grass was green and not washed out!

no one ever takes a poll on it, so this should stop constant questions that keep being posted on the subject. This issue always changes, as one provider uses more compression or less to fit more channels on thier satellite, so it should be broght up quite often.

I voted that D* and E* are the same, but that does vary from channel to channel as there are differing compression schemes. I choose to use D* based upon the fact that I like have a choice in hardware, now that that option is going away maybe they are getting closer to the same.

knowing D* will be the HD leader next year will sway me. Those SpaceWay birds are going to be a really good thing.

mini1 said:
no one ever takes a poll on it, so this should stop constant questions that keep being posted on the subject. This issue always changes, as one provider uses more compression or less to fit more channels on thier satellite, so it should be broght up quite often.

But this poll is valid if the only people that vote have all three services hooked into the same monitoring environment. Otherwise, people will be voting off inaccurate comparisons at best and guesses at worst.

How many people have all three services? And have them hooked into the same monitor? Not too many, IMHO

There are quite a few people who have tried all 3 providers. You do not need to try all 3 to vote for any of the combined options, such as Voom And DirecTV or Dish and Voom. This only requires two.

The PQ is constantly changing as providers add, remove and shuffle channels.
Comparing two providers on different monitors will lead to very iffy conclusions.

If you can't compare the providers on the same monitor today, you should not vote.

Charper1 is making an accurate comparison on the same monitor, and I'm sure many others do also.

mini1 said:
Charper1 is making an accurate comparison on the same monitor, and I'm sure many others do also.
And they are the only ones who should vote. The others are making the poll worthless

I just had a small dish customer call me to complain about the quality of picture on his system. He said the locals looked terrible. The picture was MUCH better with his off air antenna. Other channels looked ok. The satellite company over compresses the locals and that is why the picture looks bad on his 65 inch TV. Pictures will look better on an analog signal such as off air or even some of the premium channels where the satellite company knows exatly how much bandwidth is needed for a particular show. In other words the problem is compression with digital signals. Better Free to Air receivers give a better picture then the small dish locals if the picture they are rebroadcasting is of good quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)