Which used DVR to get?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pa1000

Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I read many people don't like the current dvr's and I also don't want to sign a longer or HD contract so I want to get an older directtivo dvr off ebay. I don't care about HD and want to spend less than $100. what brand would people here recommend? what is most reliable as in not dying, what has the best interface, etc?

If I buy a used dvr how much extra will i have to pay direct tv to replace one of my current recievers with the dvr? since the reason people say they charge a dvr fee is because the dvr has 2 tuners, is it possible for them to only activate 1 tuner (and not be able to record 2 channels at the same time) and not pay the extra dvr fee?

You still have to pay the six bucks. A non HD DVR should be well under a hundred. If you lived nearby I would give you one. Most people here probably have at least one gathering dust.

You should get one of the newer Tivo-based units, such as HDVR2, DVR40, DVR80, etc. These may have different brand names (Hughes, RCA, etc.) but are all made in the same Mexican factory and only the front panel is different (there are also different hard drive sizes). The R10 is nearly the same, but has some "features" to make it harder to hack.

if i did get a model like HDVR2 or HR10-250 which are HD would I be forced to pay extra for HD service even if i do not want HD?

The HR10-250 is HD but not for much longer. I don't think you would have to have the HD Access, but you might want to call to make sure. If you don't want HD why would you buy the HR10-250? The others would be much cheaper but with less recording space.

Be carefull of the Directv TIVOs, Its common for Power supply failure and and or hardrive failure .On the HDVR2's! $70-$200 to repair. They work fantastic, but around 4th year they start to go bad. If you plan to upgrade the Harddrive anyway they don't worry. But I would go with the R10 or 10-250.

Put it this way I bought a HDVR2 off Ebay less then a month ago.And wouldn't you know it ,When I got it ,It wouldn't start up. So I did some poking around ,and found out that ,the problem with mine was a really common problem after 3 years of use. Too Common!

what are the differences in the r10 and r10-250 besides storage space?

I upgraded from my "owned" HR10-250 to the HR20-700, but kept the 10-250 for whenever we get TV for my kid's room/den. We may never use it again, but if the opportunity arises, I will fire that thing back up without hesitation. It's a great receiver and has robust recording capabilities. And being HD at its core, the output is very good, even if you don't have it hooked up to an HDTV. Of course, now that most/all of the HD is MPEG4, it won't work in that regard, but it is still a great unit for MPEG2/SD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts