Which VIP722 DVR (new) features would you like to see added ?

anonymouse99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
I have used the 722 DVR for a little over a year and have been very very impressed with it. I obviously want it to do more! -lol-

I searched the forums but did not find a specific thread requesting additional operational features. I am assuming that the Linux operating system running this DVR box can be customized to work to make these features available:

1. Ability to convert a program being viewed to a permanant recording. Many times, I watch a movie or show, only to realize that I wish I would have recorded it (instead of just watching it!). I wish there was a feature that would allow me to magically mark or convert programs being viewed into a permanant recording.

Of course, I am assuming that the recording would be marked either from the beginning or from the point that I started viewing the recording (without switching channels) or 1-hour max in the past (the DVR only buffers the last one hour of programming on a single channel).

2. Ability to add/remove index markings on a existing piece of recording. It would also be nice if the DVR could automatically (based on a menu option) put index markers at the start and end of commercials. This will enable us to skip them.

3. Ability to specify which TV to record the program on - I am not sure if this feature is available on TV1, but I am sure it is not possible to do this from TV2. So, sometimes, I am watching TV2 and TV1 is not going to be used for many hours. I would prefer that I can record on TV1 without changing the original menu option - i.e. make this decision on-the-fly everytime.

As an extension to #3, it would be nice if there was a "floating tuner" concept. So, for example, if I am recording on TV2, and if TV1 was turned off, the system would give me the option of switching my recording to TV1 without any loss of programming allowing me to view an alternate channel on TV2.

What other features would you like to see added to the 722? I am always interested in cool/convenient options :D Many thanks.

Your option 1 already exsists.
The 30 second skipahead button works just fine for skipping comercials.

The one feature I'd like to see would be to view any recording on any VIP receiver connected to your home network.

1. press record, choose options, choose "record entire event" - or - rewind to the point you want the recording to begin, press record.
2. use the skip forward button, multiple times if necessary. Each push = 30 seconds.
3. if you're not going to use TV1, put the box in single mode by pressing the button on the front panel, then TV1 and TV2 see the same thing, and recordings happen in the "background."

As far as new features that don't already exist, how about:
- a single button on the remote to turn captions on/off (page-up is not used in normal viewing so that could be mapped)
- a remote button or menu option for the single/dual mode toggle
- ability to adjust format for TV2
- what n0qcu wants, share recorded files amongst ViP receivers that are networked

Smith, why are you watching ads on a DVR?!

As said choice 1 exists. Just position to where you want to start within the 1 hr buffer and press record. The default is to the end of that program but options provide other choices like until stopped.

On option 2, I have/had a DVR that would either mark 5 min intervals or where commercials began and ended, but I don't know how. Default was to skip those but you could play all just in case. No need to even press skip. Adding your own marks would be nice to skip to.

You are close to option 3 if you use single mode instead of dual. It automatically records by default on the other tuner or if recording you select a new channel it will be on the other. Note there is a difference between recall (prior channel used) and swap (the other tuner even with PIP off.)

(4) I would like a way to jump to a time in minutes or fraction of the recording (1 to 9). At least a way to jump to the end so I don't spend a minute, or so it seems, to find out if the end of the movie was recorded. This is hard on EHD as you cannot back off the end, like the internal. Make internal rewind start at end if not left anywhere--solves 2 problems.

(5) In the recordings list and even in the folder sub-list pressing 1 to 9 takes you to 0/8 to 8/8 of the list. I need the same on the EHD (over 200 recordings/movies on a 1TB drive) rather than 6 per page. The same applies to search history list and timers list. (Once the method is set up it can be used on almost any list.)

(6) To get really far along, how about a way to share recording duties between 2 (or more) recorders to avoid more conflicts and share space. Common recording list? Would also need a common list of recording! To be done through Home-Plug and/or Ethernet or by a USB-to-USB transfer between recorders to allow manual balancing of recorded space.

(7) Increase the timers list from 96 and the search history from ~36 to at least double those. I am at those limits on 2 recorders with no overlap and not enough room for soon-to-happen recordings. Most are for my "hope" list.

(8) A way to add comments or at least a number/rating to each recording and then sort on that with other sub-sorts.

(9) Do a better job of maintaining position in list when you exit back to list from info/select, especially on EHD.

-Ken

Last edited:
1. press record, choose options, choose "record entire event" - or - rewind to the point you want the recording to begin, press record.
Wow! I did not know this trick - very cool. This is acceptable!

2. use the skip forward button, multiple times if necessary. Each push = 30 seconds.
I am aware of this, my point was if there was a way to push record during playback to add an index, or manage indexes in a list (delete). It is also my understanding that broadcasts send a special signal/blip before and after a commercial. The DVR could sense these and record indexes at this point so then we won't need to press 30 seconds every time, multiple times.

3. if you're not going to use TV1, put the box in single mode by pressing the button on the front panel, then TV1 and TV2 see the same thing, and recordings happen in the "background."
Agreed, my point was that I did want to be in dual mode and override that with the ability to switch tuners on the fly so as to not interrupt an existing recording.

As far as new features that don't already exist, how about:
- a single button on the remote to turn captions on/off (page-up is not used in normal viewing so that could be mapped)
- a remote button or menu option for the single/dual mode toggle
- ability to adjust format for TV2
- what n0qcu wants, share recorded files amongst ViP receivers that are networked

Smith, why are you watching ads on a DVR?!
Thanks for all of your responses folks, keep them coming :D

Your option 1 already exsists.
The 30 second skipahead button works just fine for skipping comercials.

The one feature I'd like to see would be to view any recording on any VIP receiver connected to your home network.
Many thanks! I agree, ability to network boxes such that the recorded programs can be viewed anywhere in the house would be great. The other option would be to have more tuners in the same DVR box, although that may make the unit much bigger :)

Edit

After the show is recorded be able to mark the in and out points of the program. Then the rest of the time is accessible to HDD for recording again. Seems like that would be a simple add but then I'm a windows person and don't like to play w/Linux.

(10) Agreed on Closed Captions (CC). They could use page up or down when not in lists, which don't show CC anyway. (Spare button here.)

(11) Agreed on single/dual but this will require a hardware mod replacing wires with relays, so it's unlikely.

(12) TV/video to change TV's source. Unlikely as a new remote ROM would be required. Does it only work for VCR now?

(13) Set a spot and allow deletion before or after that point thus truncating the show, saving space on disk. With multiple marks you could edit the show and record only that to the EHD.

(14) A sort swap button on the EHD menu. I like by date for the internal and by name for the external.

(15) Should we mention handling the front and back USB ports separately or the selection of a drive from a USB multiplexor(s).

(16) Drive names so that we can be sure we have the right one without looking through the contents. I use color codes on the USB cables and the power supplies.

-Ken

Last edited:
how about being able to pause a currently recording show while watching it and then when you return later you are able to resume where you left off. the way it is now is ridiculous - you either 'start over' or 'view'. I hate that!!

also i'd like to jump ahead in recorded shows with different options- replaytv you can put in any number (eg 60) and then hit 'skip forward' and it would ahead that many minutes (60 in this example). with tivo you can fast forward, then it 'quick skip' and it jumps to the tick marks. very quick and easy methods to get thru long recordings.

Many thanks! I agree, ability to network boxes such that the recorded programs can be viewed anywhere in the house would be great. The other option would be to have more tuners in the same DVR box, although that may make the unit much bigger :)

I would like to see more tuners made available as well. The problem with having two satellite tuners in a two tv output receiver is when it is in dual user mode and something is recording on tuner 2, that user is forced to watch that show that is being recorded if he/she does not want to watch a pre-recorded event.

I wonder if it is possible for them to develop an external tuner like they did an external hard drive to connect to these receivers. This is where I go back to saying like I have been saying for years now that they need to make a standard receiver then made optional add ons such as tuners, hard drives, memory, modules, etc.

Thanks, Stargazer - maybe they can have an internal tuner like Comcast's motorola boxes offer. They have 3 tuners. You can record 2 programs simultaneously, and I believe it has 2 internal tuners in addition to the main tuner. So having one or two more internal tuners in the 722 would enable TV1 and TV2 to record and view alternative programs at the same time.

One thing I miss from my old Comcast DVR is the ability to access future air times & record options from the Info screen of the program you're watching. Lots of times when surfing, I find an interesting show already in progress. That feature sure made it easy to set up a timer for when the show airs again.

One thing I miss from my old Comcast DVR is the ability to access future air times & record options from the Info screen of the program you're watching. Lots of times when surfing, I find an interesting show already in progress. That feature sure made it easy to set up a timer for when the show airs again.
Agreed, although if you just hit the search key on the bottom right of the remote and search, it will find the program times (the program text to search for is preloaded) with a few additional remote presses.

(17) To elaborate on some ideas here, allow you to enter minutes to move: delta forward with right arrow, delta backward with left arrow, and stopped or playing absolute time from beginning [desirable] or end [in style of counter] with the select button after the number. Few recordings are more than 999 minutes so 3 digits will do. Had thought of FF-Rewind-Pause, but this matches well with movement through the guide where it is in hours. Sorry, this may slow down response on changing channels, which we do not need but not by much.

(18) A quicker way to get to the timers, not through the schedule. Shortest now is menu-7-down-down-Timers, one press better than DVR*3-down-down-Timers.

-Ken

Wow, thanks for that searching tip from the Info screen Anonymouse, that's terrific. Sounds like we're all learning some new "undocumented features" here. Maybe that's the real issue...the 722's menus and remote might indeed do just about everything you'd ever need, if only these tricks were documented more clearly in the 722's user guide!

I would like Dish to expand the Household Key to include your PC so you can move content to your PC and be able to move it around the house more freely (still within DRM guidelines).