Which way to go?

Boykie

Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time on this forum. I've been a Dish Network user for a few years, and I have 3 (2 in use) 501 PVR's. I have just purchased the new Mitsubishi DLP 52" tv, and this will be my first foray into HD. So here are my questions.

Which satellite provider (DirecTv, Dish, Voom, etc) is most recommended? I prefer to stick with Dish, as I already have multiple PVR's, but I'm not married to them.

Is the 921 receiver recommended. I've read on this forum a fair amount of negativity, and it concerns me. I watch a lot of local stations, and I read with concern of the inability to list them on the online guide. What does this really mean? Does it mean that I can't preset to record off locals, and if they're not on the guide, how does one select them at all? Is this something that is going to be remedied in the very near future?

What of the other receivers that I've seen mentioned on here. 924, 942? When are these due out, what are the expected prices, and are they worth waiting for?

Thanks guys. I appreciate any help/guidance

Boykie said:
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time on this forum. I've been a Dish Network user for a few years, and I have 3 (2 in use) 501 PVR's. I have just purchased the new Mitsubishi DLP 52" tv, and this will be my first foray into HD. So here are my questions.

Which satellite provider (DirecTv, Dish, Voom, etc) is most recommended? I prefer to stick with Dish, as I already have multiple PVR's, but I'm not married to them.

Is the 921 receiver recommended. I've read on this forum a fair amount of negativity, and it concerns me. I watch a lot of local stations, and I read with concern of the inability to list them on the online guide. What does this really mean? Does it mean that I can't preset to record off locals, and if they're not on the guide, how does one select them at all? Is this something that is going to be remedied in the very near future?

What of the other receivers that I've seen mentioned on here. 924, 942? When are these due out, what are the expected prices, and are they worth waiting for?

Thanks guys. I appreciate any help/guidance

From the research that I've gathered, each have their strong points. VOOM doesn't have DVR, they do have the most HDTV channels. Direct TV has a nice DVR for HD but I understand it is slow and that they don't have some super channels. The DVR921 has it's fair share of bugs but I think that they are soon to be fixed by flash ware upgrades. I've been with E* since 1996 and I really don't know that much about the other providers. One thing is solid; SatelliteGuys and DBSTalk are in-depth and are valuable. I can't find anything that is as informative for either Direct TV or VOOM. Hope this helps a little. :)

Another question. Am I to understand that with the dual tuners that you CANNOT record 2 network programs at the same time? Also, (forgive me, I'm a newbie here) please confirm what does OTA mean (Off the air?) and what is E* and other abbreviations*

Directv is rumored to get more HD channels this fall. Their Directivo DVR in my opinion is superiour to DISH's version due to name based recording and the fact that Directv only charges you one Tivo fee ($5) per account. Unless DISH changed something it's one DVR fee per box. Also, you can upgrade the hard drives in the Directivo units unlike DISH's units. All of Directv's PVRs are dual tuner based.

As far as HD equipment goes Directv's HD PVR (HD Directivo) I have heard is very solid. The 921 has it's issues.

Boykie said:
Another question. Am I to understand that with the dual tuners that you CANNOT record 2 network programs at the same time? Also, (forgive me, I'm a newbie here) please confirm what does OTA mean (Off the air?) and what is E* and other abbreviations*

You can not record two ota (over the air) channels at the same time because there is only one ota tuner. You can record two sat channels at the same time or one sat and one ota channel . If you have locals with Dish then you could record one on the satellite and one ota channel. I use this setup daily to record the soaps for my wife. E* = Echostar/Dishnetwork. :yes

You might just want to wait a couple of months, if you can, and see what falls out with new programming. Yesterday D* announced a deal with NBC/Universal for Bravo-HD and the Olympics plus there's been rumors for months of more late summer/early fall. Since we're talking about a $1K investment with either provider it might be nice to wait to see what happens before making that commitment.

The more I know, the LESS I know. So with the one OTA tuner, you can only record one over the air program at a time. I presume that means something you're picking up with an antenna, as opposed to the dish. If I am picking up locals thru my dish (ie. thru Dish network), can I then record 2 locals at the same time.

(As a side note, thank you to everyone for reading/replying to this. This information is invaluable to me)

The more I read, the more I believe that it makes sense to move from E* to D*. Non-HD Tivo's are cheap enough that I can buy a couple to replace my 501 PVR's, and the price of the HD Tivo is exactly the same as the 921 receiver, except the problems that everyone is describing on the 921 frightens the hell out of me. Does anyone have any additional thoughts for or against such a move?

If I was to subscribe to JUST HD programming, is there something OTHER than the 921 for recording for Dish?

Also how long can those recording stay on the HDD as long as you don't delete the files (is there a time limit)?

videobruce said:
If I was to subscribe to JUST HD programming, is there something OTHER than the 921 for recording for Dish?

Also how long can those recording stay on the HDD as long as you don't delete the files (is there a time limit)?
For HD the 921 is it for now. The 6000 and 821 are for HD. I don't know if there is a way to use a tivo-like device to record from the receiver.

Boykie said:
The more I read, the more I believe that it makes sense to move from E* to D*. Non-HD Tivo's are cheap enough that I can buy a couple to replace my 501 PVR's, and the price of the HD Tivo is exactly the same as the 921 receiver, except the problems that everyone is describing on the 921 frightens the hell out of me. Does anyone have any additional thoughts for or against such a move?

If I had not have made such a long term investment in E*, I may have gone with D*. We are early into HD. Not to give my age away, but when I was a kid, I remember the invent of color television. Only a few programs were in color at first. It took a few years for it to take full effect. The same was true for mono to stereo audio in TV transmissions. I really think, that in time all the satellite networks will have super HDTV. I just wish that HDTV programming and channels would increase at a faster rate. By the time that HD is in full effect, I suspect that I will want to upgrade my receiver to the state of-the-art.

videobruce said:

Sorry to quote my own post, but regarding the "how long" question, what I mean is, how long can the recording be saved? If I record it (I was almost going to say 'tape it') now, can I watch it say, a year from now even though I have watched it once a a day after it was recorded?

Another question as far as OTA, you have to pay them to watch local OTA material received with a UHF antenna??

videobruce said:
Sorry to quote my own post, but regarding the "how long" question, what I mean is, how long can the recording be saved? If I record it (I was almost going to say 'tape it') now, can I watch it say, a year from now even though I have watched it once a a day after it was recorded?

Another question as far as OTA, you have to pay them to watch local OTA material received with a UHF antenna??

It can be protected and saved for as long as you want it to last. Otherwise, if you fill your hard drive to capacity, I believe that the oldest recorded program is deleted, etc., until there is enough room for the newly recorded program.

The reason for the question is that part of the FCC ruling that there is a 90 minute limit on how long a copyrighted program can be time delayed (words to that effect).

videobruce said:
The reason for the question is that part of the FCC ruling that there is a 90 minute limit on how long a copyrighted program can be time delayed (words to that effect).
"Time Delayed" means what respective to saving any program? Are you saying that the FCC are gonna come into every home and throw everyone into Video prison?

SimpleSimon said:
I've got no idea where you came up with that. Please post your source.
You won't like this (surely I don't either), but I have NO idea where I saw it. With the hundreds of pages of material I have printed out in the past month (let alone the last 9 months), I don't remember where I saw it.
BUT, I will look for it. I DO remember a "90 minute" time shifting limit mentioned ( delaying a program 90 minutes) unless I read it completely wrong!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)