White dots

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Questioner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
I have a 42 inch plasma hdtv, and h-20. Am I the only one who notices white static like dots pop up on the screen during hd programming? It's the type of PQ flaw that you see regularly with sdtv on a big screen viewed up close, but even sitting 12 feet from my plasma I often see this interference. It's not noticeable all the time, and is most noticeable during darker scenes and network programming. I see it both when scene changes quickly but also when the scene is pretty still. It's most annoying because the PQ is very good most of the time except for this static. I've tried both hdmi and component cables, nothing seems to make a difference. My signal strength is good on all satellites, was there something not done right by the professional installers? I don't see this interference watching dvds or playing the xbox 360, so why should I have to put with it.

I know people complain about pixelation with directv, is this the same thing?

I wouldn't be 110% sure of that, without some sort of examination of the display; I don't see little white dots on my display. HD-lite as real as it is, has become the scapegoat answer to every issue without examination just because its so hated and easy to say without real facts to back it up.

HD-Lite is now the #1 cause of global warming! LOL!

Now I am not saying it isn't his cause, but I do not see it on my displays (1 RPTV and 1 FPTV, both HD). But this is not scientific examination either, but hold just as much weight as saying the other.

The OP may have an issue with a display still in warranty, and to have him dismiss what they are seeing as HD-Lite only, without seeking a real on site pro, might lead to the display going out of warranty, and then discovering there was a real problem with the display itself; too which he will be screwed at that point.

Last edited:
ok now we troubleshoot

what channels do you see this problem on ? is it on OTA Local channels,
is it on SD locals from directv feed, or is OTA Local HD, or is it the Cable Networks ?

what h20 do you have ? h20-100 or h20-600, and what satellite dish you have ?

Questioner said:
I have a 42 inch plasma hdtv, and h-20. Am I the only one who notices white static like dots pop up on the screen during hd programming? It's the type of PQ flaw that you see regularly with sdtv on a big screen viewed up close, but even sitting 12 feet from my plasma I often see this interference. It's not noticeable all the time, and is most noticeable during darker scenes and network programming. I see it both when scene changes quickly but also when the scene is pretty still. It's most annoying because the PQ is very good most of the time except for this static. I've tried both hdmi and component cables, nothing seems to make a difference. My signal strength is good on all satellites, was there something not done right by the professional installers? I don't see this interference watching dvds or playing the xbox 360, so why should I have to put with it.

I know people complain about pixelation with directv, is this the same thing?

I think you already used the key word, interference. White dots sounds like electrical interference to me. Are there any appliances with motors running at the time you see the dots? Or are you smoking funny cigarettes? :D :D

hdtvtechno said:
ok now we troubleshoot

what channels do you see this problem on ? is it on OTA Local channels,
is it on SD locals from directv feed, or is OTA Local HD, or is it the Cable Networks ?

what h20 do you have ? h20-100 or h20-600, and what satellite dish you have ?

I have an h20-600. In fact I had the same model replaced several weeks ago because it was getting way too hot, unfortunately I got another 600 in return (made in a different country though).....I noticed the static with the old model too though.

I have a 5 lnb dish with the correct zinwell multiswitch, we have 2 tivos and one regular receiver in the house (but only one hdtv hooked up), so that's a lot of lines. All satellites have a strong signal.

I don't have an antenna hooked up at all. I have boston mpeg 4 locals but also nbc and fox from new york that I was able to get waivers for a while ago.

I was mainly talking about hd programs. SD has always looked staticy to me on a big screen up close, but I don't notice artifacts on the screen from normal viewing distance. As far as the hd, I have seen it on all channels, but I notice it more on primetime network programming on both the new york and boston stations, so I don't think it has to do with just mpeg 4. I also see it quite a bit on the movie channels. The only time I don't seem to notice it all is with programs that are "bright" for basically the whole time, like most sports and programs and nature programs, but its probably still there.

The static or white dots are not evenly distributed on the screen it seems, they tend to show up in multiple clusters on different areas of the screen. It doesn't make things unwatchable by any means, but it is annoying.

Last edited:
raoul5788 said:
I think you already used the key word, interference. White dots sounds like electrical interference to me. Are there any appliances with motors running at the time you see the dots? Or are you smoking funny cigarettes? :D :D

In the room with the hdtv, the only thing close to it is a pc that is running all the time and a wireless network setup, as well as a wireless phone. Could this be causing interference on the tv? As I said, I've never noticed it watching dvds or xbox 360 games running at 720p, so I don't think it's a problem with the plasma itself.

Questioner said:
In the room with the hdtv, the only thing close to it is a pc that is running all the time and a wireless network setup, as well as a wireless phone. Could this be causing interference on the tv? As I said, I've never noticed it watching dvds or xbox 360 games running at 720p, so I don't think it's a problem with the plasma itself.

The interference could be from anywhere in the nearby area, not necessarily the same room. Check by unplugging the devices in the room one at a time and see if it makes a difference. Then check other areas of the house. Good luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)