White Springs TV Returning

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Promises, promises, promises!

"It'll be a long, long time, 'till you see eyes like mine"

That is a quote from a song by SYLVIA from back in the 80's or so. Basically, I think that they (WSTV) may have lost a lot of support that they could have gained or did have before they went off the air, now it is going to take them much longer to regain that.

They are going to have to pick themselves up by the bootstraps once again. That is just the way it is.

RADAR

I recall their old page was up for quite awhile after they left the air. When did they first post this?
Yes, you are right, if you knew the link to the old technical page, it was still there for several days or a week.
I'd say the new web page (similar to what we see now) went up perhaps a week or two after we lost the satellite signal.
Always promising they'd be back and saying to expect new satellite info soon.
Maybe others remember more clearly.

You know, I hope that they come back, but stay on 129W. I want there to be some channels on the upper or more westerly sats so that I can assure that I am tracking the arc the best. I want them to put up more sats to the west.

I am theoretically supposed to be able to capture signals all the way up to a sat at 172 degrees west (well, maybe that far), but if they don't put anything up there, I cannot check my alignment!

I want more sats! LOL

RADAR

Any guess which satellite its going to be on?

I would think G19 KU might be a good place - have PIT or SFIG or World TV pick up their internet stream and send it out. Certainly a channel on that bird is cheaper than uplink it themselves and the video quality won't be any worse than a lot of the existing channels!

It's hard for me to believe they can't afford about $4,000/month for the 2-3 MHz of sat space. One of my local tv stations pays about that much for sat space for the channel that they uplink from their parking lot to translators/cable headends around the state.

It's hard for me to believe they can't afford about $4,000/month for the 2-3 MHz of sat space.

3 Meg of bandwidth on G19 KU is approximately $15k per month.

Your local station may be on a much less popular bird, C-band and have a very long contract?

3 Meg of bandwidth on G19 KU is approximately $15k per month.

Your local station may be on a much less popular bird, C-band and have a very long contract?

as for g19k, my suggestion was to not uplink to the sat but have PIT or Globecast or SFIG carry it in their muxes - source it from the internet since the video quality of the various services carried on G19k is crud anyway.

and the local station is on c-band, on a cable bird that every cableco in the u.s. would be pointed to for FOX cable properties, and probably is a long term contract since they have been there for many years now.

as for g19k, my suggestion was to not uplink to the sat but have PIT or Globecast or SFIG carry it in their muxes

Correct. The going rate in a MCPC MUX on G19 KU is approximately $15k. I am not aware of any SCPC capacity on G19 Ku. If the broadcaster requires playout services from the uplinker, the rate is considerably higher.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)