Who believes HDtivos will be turned off after the new dvr is out? (new rumor)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

newsposter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
On avs a few folks have said that directv will be turning off the HDtivos and sending out dvrs for us when they are available. (said 2 of 3 CSRs told him so) They said this will not be a choice and that we will be mandated to use the new dvrs and cant use our HDtivo.

I obviously can't believe we would be forced to discontinue using hdtivo. If we want a free upgrade, sure. But if we are happy to use HDtivo for SD dtv and OTA I dont believe they really will turn off our boxes. If i want all the new HD stuff, that's my responsibility to get a new receiver at my cost if i turn down their free upgrade.

Since those in the know say the HDtivo 6.2 is 'virtually certain' , can it be possible that they would upgrade a box then turn it off within a year? I dont see what sense that would make. I think the 2 events must be mutually exclusive.

Also, since the new tivo agreement is 3 years, why would DTV even have made it if they were gonna turn off the HDtivos?

Hysterical Internet rumors get started just like this.

D*s track record in coming out with new equipment in sufficient numbers is so dismal that it will be years before MPEG 2 DVRs and HD DVRs presently out there will not work.

welp they are saying 'soon'...I agree with you though. I guess even by their standards we have 1 yr left. I still will never believe they are right though. what would DTV do with our HDtivos if they literally are useless? (no mpeg2).

Negative, your HD TIVO will continue to work until you shut it off. However HD TIVO owners may want to upgrade to the new non tivo MPEG4 receiver when it comes, at that time there will be a trade in offer to do this.

Over time DirecTV MAY convert the MPEG2 HD channels to MPEG4 HD so while your HD Tivo might work but you will no longer receive any satellite HD channels.

Start with the RCA D100 and guess how many non TiVo HD receivers Directv has out there? These would also have to be replaced if the MPEG 2 signal was to be turned off. The H20 currntly is the only HD receiver that can process MPEG 4 from Directv.

boba said:
Start with the RCA D100 and guess how many non TiVo HD receivers Directv has out there? These would also have to be replaced if the MPEG 2 signal was to be turned off. The H20 currntly is the only HD receiver that can process MPEG 4 from Directv.

It can't be that bad to replace them since Cheap Charlie was willing to do exactly that if the D*/E* merge went through.

No way!! Unless they shut off MPEG2 national stuff do you need to upgrade. There is absolutely no reason for D* to shut them down unless everything HD becomes MPEG4. Even if that happens, still no reason to shut down a perfectly good Tivo. It can still do OTA HD and SD D* stuff.

thank you.... i'm glad you guys agree the other guys are 'insane' thinking directv will forceable turn off these boxes :) If we want the free upgrade...fine...but if we dont, that's our 'loss' and responsibility to pay in the future for the new box.

Thats exactly it. You own the box. You pay your DVR fee. If they shut down HD channels. Your loss. D* Tivos number in the millions regardless of HD or not and will be hanging around with that 3 year renewal at least that long. I think they just want folks off Non-MPEG4 boxes so if they turn the MPEG2 stuff off, you dont lose your HD channels.

newsposter said:
On avs a few folks have said that directv will be turning off the HDtivos and sending out dvrs for us when they are available. (said 2 of 3 CSRs told him so)

Means nothing since 9.9 out of 10 are morons.

i agree but they are all ga-ga over this predicting the demise of our hdtivos. hogwash. the only true advantage I think dtv would have would be if they had a ton of HD on their HDpak for 10 bucks and the only way to get it was with mpeg4....then i could see them turning off Hdtivos specifically and giving us dvrs....then 'hoping' we'd pay for the HDpak to make it worth their while. But that's a lot of stars to get lined up in the near future..doubt it can happen.

hancox said:
2 words - ultimate TV. This is NOT going to happen.

good point indeed...why kill a 'brand new' box when those old ones are around still

THe "elevated technical support" representative told me last night that there is no reason to switch to MPEG4 until the new DVR is widely avilable. If this is the case, they are not shutting anything off any time soon.

vurbano said:
Means nothing since 9.9 out of 10 are morons.

It would be 10 out of 10 for me since I haven't spoken to a single knowledgable one.

I don't see D* shutting off the HD D-Tivos since that would be them hanging themselves.

So once D* goes totally MPEG 4( in the far distant future).. Who is gonna be responsible for paying the "license fee" to tivo. d*(who's agreement with tivo will probably be terminated at this point) Or the consumer?.. If its the consumer would they have to pay the regular tivo price(atleast 10 bucks a month)? And if they did would you still want your tivo?

Directv renewed their contract with Tivo for 3 years which will extend service until 2/2010. I don't think they'll immediately drop Tivo service when the new DVR comes out. Keep in mind there are plenty of SD Tivos in service also.

Last edited:
is the same technolgy/delivery or whatever used for the SD as the HD tivos? In other words, is there any real reason not to send guide data to Hdtivos?

newsposter said:
is the same technolgy/delivery or whatever used for the SD as the HD tivos? In other words, is there any real reason not to send guide data to Hdtivos?

The HD Tivos are still able to decipher MPEG2 HD and any SD channel that D* regularly broadcasts. It will still be able to do HD over the air. The issue is around D* broadcasting all of its HD channels in MPEG4. The locals being served up by the Spaceways are MPEG4 and only work with the H20 HD receiver.

So the quick answer, no reason at all it wont work or can get guide info. If they convert all the HD channels, it still works the same just wont be able to see the HD channels provided by D* but all the SD channels and OTA ones will still work. So as long as the contract with Tivo exists, the HD Tivo will get guide data. Of course D* may have other plans but I cant think of a reason why to physically shut it off since Tivos will be out there for a long time and you are paying your DVR fee.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts