Who does and does not use "Native Mode"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HBKbiggestfan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
Native Mode: When turned on, switches between either 480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i when surfing between Standard Definition (480i 480p) to High Definition (720p 1080i) for what is "best" for the definition display you are viewing. Who uses this feature? I have used it basically since I got HD. But it takes a few seconds for my TV to adjust to the other mode (from 480i to 1080i or vise-versa) when I switch from an HD to an SD (once again or vice-versa). That is the only thing I dislike about it. Do all HDTV's take a few second to switch between 480i/p, 720p and/or 1080i? Who here (yes you reading this) uses Native Mode and why? What are the advantages and dis-advantages of this mode? I just want to get the common D* viewer opinion on Native Mode.

I was wondering the same also. I have my native turned off because as you stated it takes a few extra seconds to switch channels. Besides I have not been able to notice any improvement by turning it on.
I surf channels alot and those extra seconds can get annoying.

Actually, I played around with it, and my Toshiba 37HL95 didn't like the SD channels in native mode. They look "narrower" than they are supposed to be. In fact, the Theatrewide mode on the Toshiba wouldn't even fill out the screen when I was using native mode from the H20. I had no problem at all with 480i signals from my cable service, by the way.

The H20 and the 37HL95 get along great using the 720 and 1080 modes. Even though the native mode of the 37HL95 is 720p, I think the picture looks just a small tad marginally better when I select the 1080i option on the H20 and let the TV do the conversion internally.

On my living room Direct-View TV i set it to 1080i only and on my bedroom LCD I set it to 720p only. The 1080i or 720p looks the same on standard def channels to me.

I have 2 HTL-HD's, and my first HDTV would only handle 1080i and 480p, so I set the output to 1080i. If it was set to 720p, the TV picture would not show up. When I purchased a plasma TV (Pioneer), I continued to use 1080i, even though it would also handle 720p. I found it annoying that the picture would have to stablize every time I changed from one mode to the other when switching channels while in native mode.

HBKbiggestfan said:
Native Mode: When turned on, switches between either 480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i when surfing between Standard Definition (480i 480p) to High Definition (720p 1080i) for what is "best" for the definition display you are viewing. Who uses this feature? I have used it basically since I got HD. But it takes a few seconds for my TV to adjust to the other mode (from 480i to 1080i or vise-versa) when I switch from an HD to an SD (once again or vice-versa). That is the only thing I dislike about it. Do all HDTV's take a few second to switch between 480i/p, 720p and/or 1080i? Who here (yes you reading this) uses Native Mode and why? What are the advantages and dis-advantages of this mode? I just want to get the common D* viewer opinion on Native Mode.

I would set the STB to the native resolution of the TV set that it is going into.

The resolution delay is at the H10/H20/H10-250 conversion stage, not the HDTV. When using a cable card, I experience no delay in resolution changes when switching channels.

Your STB resolution should be the same as the native resolution of your set to avoid double conversion at the STB and at the HDTV. If you have a HDTV that outputs at only 720 (LCD), set the STB to output 720, HDTV only 1080, set the STB to output 1080. With 480i SD signals you will have two conversions with fixed resolution displays, 480p (STB) to (HDTV) 720p or 1080i. I wish Directv would not scale SD to 480p, and let the internal scaler of the HDTV process the SD signal. Chances are the scaler is better in the HDTV than the STB.

My preference is to use the native option if your HDTV can output all resolutions. This will allow one conversion when watching 720 or 1080 broadcasts.

tripletlex said:
The resolution delay is at the H10/H20/H10-250 conversion stage, not the HDTV. When using a cable card, I experience no delay in resolution changes when switching channels.

Your STB resolution should be the same as the native resolution of your set to avoid double conversion at the STB and at the HDTV. If you have a HDTV that outputs at only 720 (LCD), set the STB to output 720, HDTV only 1080, set the STB to output 1080. With 480i SD signals you will have two conversions with fixed resolution displays, 480p (STB) to (HDTV) 720p or 1080i. I wish Directv would not scale SD to 480p, and let the internal scaler of the HDTV process the SD signal. Chances are the scaler is better in the HDTV than the STB.

My preference is to use the native option if your HDTV can output all resolutions. This will allow one conversion when watching 720 or 1080 broadcasts.

Any ideas why my TV - which will accept 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i (all modes) had problems with the native mode (see post above)? I am using the HDMI input on my TV (on my cable I was using the cable coax in).

kentuck1163 said:
Any ideas why my TV - which will accept 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i (all modes) had problems with the native mode (see post above)? I am using the HDMI input on my TV (on my cable I was using the cable coax in).

The problem you're having with SD and the H20 is the conversion of a 480i signal to a 480p signal and then the conversion to 720p by your set. Your cable signal of 480i was not converted to 480p prior to the conversion of your set.

Because the H20 is a "digital" STB the 480i signal will be converted to a 480p signal prior to output.

I run a second older "analog" STB (480i) via S-Video or component video and let my HDTV do the conversion for an improved SD signal.

I have an LCD RPTV (Hitachi) and when I had a HTL-HD Hughes receiver connected to it, I set it to Native. My LCD TV is 720p, and I found its internal scaler to be far superior to the scaler in the Hughes, so I let it convert the 1080i to 720p and the 480i to 480p. I found that when I set the Hughes box to 720p, the 1080i and 480i channels looked worse than when I let the TV do the scaling.

Now I have a HD-DVR (the HR10-250) and it has no native mode (boo, hiss!!). I manually switch it when I want to watch a 720p channel like ESPN or ABC/FOX, otherwise I leave it at 1080i and let my TV convert.

Downstairs I have a 32-inch Panasonic direct-view CRT HDTV with a H10 receiver. I find it almost impossible on the smaller 32-inch screen to tell the difference quality wise between 480p and 1080i, so I leave the H10 on 480p Letterbox. The TV downstairs is a 4:3 model. The 480p letterbox mode produces a slightly bigger HD 16:9 picture for some reason and that looks better on the small screen. I know the 1080i mode is sending the TV higher resolution information, but I just can't "see it" on the 32-inch CRT.

I use the "Native " setting, so I can use my Sony LCD XBR processor to make the adjustments.

Much better processor than the D* receivers.

Also, I use Native so that I receive the show or movie or whatever, in the actual format that it was intended to be.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts